Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Rear Speakers 1996 c4 6x9 kevlar? !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:02 PM
torchred96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Rear Speakers 1996 c4 6x9 kevlar? !!

Okay, First off, I put an Alpine Mp3 9813 (i believe) which looks very nice in the 96 having replaced the stock cassette non bose system. The sound coming thru the stock speakers is nothing better than very weak at best.

So, I've temporarily hooked up a pioneer 2 channel pioneer t3000 (200 watts, but 40ish continuous) to drive the rear speakers and left the head unit to drive the tiny little 4 in fronts.

The rears sound very good now and they have a surprising amount of bass...but the fronts sound like tweeters, and you can't hear them unless you turn down the rear speakers.

so, I bought these for the rear thinking that if the stocks sounded that good, something better should sound much better...Hope I'm right. This is what I bought:

Pioneer TS-D691R - 6"x9" 2-way Car Speakers
Key Features:

Woofer Cone Material: Dual Layer Kevlar(tm) Brand Fiber and Rigilite IMPP
Composite Cone
Surround: Butyl Rubber for Smoother Response
Voice Coil Bobbin: Glass-Imide
Damper: Conex
Copper Ring
Tweeter: 1-1/8" Laminated Polyester Fiber Soft Dome with Magnetic Fluid and Neodymium Magnet
Rear Chamber Tweeter Design: Regular
Basket Design: Full Depth Basket for Rich Bass Response
Wave Guides: Wave Guides For Dispersion Control
Built-in Passive Crossover: -12dB/Oct. LPF/HPF, with Acrylic Cover
Speaker Grilles: New REV Spoke Grille
Watts MAX. Music Power: 350 Watts
Watts Nominal Power Handling: 80 Watts
Frequency Response: 22Hz ~ 32kHz
Sensitivity: 91dB
Ohm Rating: 4

Anyone hear anything good or bad about those speakers? I know audiophiles don't like the pioneers, but I have always liked the 6x9's in my old camaro. Funny thing, these are only 2 way...and I don't think they even make a 3 or 4 way in the rev series.

I will let you know if I can even get them installed. It looks like they may not fit where the factory ones go remember, this is a non bose system and the speaker mounts are different.

Quick Reply: New Rear Speakers 1996 c4 6x9 kevlar? !!