Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement speakers for 1984 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Dave84
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement speakers for 1984 corvette

Hi everyone. I would like to replace all the speakers in my 1984 corvette since they are sounding like static. I would also like to buy a new deck for the car. The car is getting a new paintjob since lightning hit the house and all the lights crashed down on the car so I figure now is a good time to play around with the car without worrying about the paint. The car is lowered so access to some areas is very hard which is why I want to install the speakers before it goes for paint in the spring. I have some questions and would like to do my research ahead of time. I would greatly appreciate your help.

1. I really like the sound of Infinity Kappa speakers so I would like to go with them. I have in mind 4" speakers for the doors or possibly a 5.25" component set. Will these speakers fit and will some modifications have to be done to the mounts?

2. For the back I would like 6X9. Any problems to fit these in? I would like to put the old bose speaker cover back over it to hide an exposed speaker. Again any modifications that need to be done and would it be difficult?

3. What would you recommend as a good deck? I read some threads and really liked the Pioneer FH-P4200MP. WOuld this fit in an '84 and can you recommend some other brands or models that you feel would easily fit the 84 dash? I would prefer not to have to do any physical modifications here.

4. Would a deck be sufficient to run the 4 speakers and possibly two tweeters or would I have to get an amplifier? If so what size do you recommend.

5. Here's my main question. Since the '84 is an older car, when I unplug the old speakers will the wiring fit into a newer model speaker do do I have to use new wiring to connect the deck and possibly amp to all the speakers? Is this a difficult job if it has to be done and what guage of wire would have to be used?

I will get all the information together to make sure I buy the right equipment and have it so it's a relatively stress free job.

Thank you for all your help.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:55 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

OK first off read FAQ it will answer alotta your questions. 5.25 or 6.5 compoenents in front is very doable. 6X9s in rear under bose cover should be no problem. I say pioneer all the way for a nice easy to use deck. I woudl recommend an amp if you are doing it, it will be louder and sould tons cleaner. Probally around 75X4 or so watts rms, as you get more specific more sugestions can be made. Just run new wires its easier and the old wires are quite small and inadequate
Old 02-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Dave84
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the response. I have no problems with mechanical work as I lowered the car myself but electronics are not my specialty although I am not incompetent either with them. To run new wires, is it relatively straight forward or does it take quite a bit of experience? As far as connecting into the deck I'm guessing that would be in the instruction manual?

I will read the FAQ just looking for brands right now that would fit relatively easily.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement speakers for 1984 corvette

Quick Reply: Replacement speakers for 1984 corvette