Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing the antenna mast on a C4

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 07:23 PM
southpaw3519
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing the antenna mast on a C4

Mid America
88-92 Mast, Power Antenna Replacement
Item NO. 601242
Price: $39.99

Tools Required:
Needle Nose Pliers
Electrical tape to protect paint
Towel or work mat to protect paint

Total time: 20-30 minutes

Pry the rubber grommet up with your fingers and grab the end with needle nose pliers. Work around the edge slowly so you don’t tear the grommet, mine was a bit brittle.

The supplied tool that came with the kit did not fit my year of antenna mounting nut. Needle nose pliers will barely fit down in the hole far enough to reach the mounting nut. I put electrical tape on the needle nose to keep from scratching the paint as I un-tightened the nut. Once the nut is off, turn the radio on to push the old antenna out.

Take the contact spring off of the old antenna; it will be re-used on the new antenna mast. The contact spring is a thin metal sleeve about three inches long that is flanged at one end. The flange is what the mounting nut catches when it’s tightened to hold the antenna down. Clean any grime off of the contact spring. Take the new contact spring that shipped with the mast off. Do not replace the old contact spring on the new mast until after it is retracted. The motor goes to fast to line it up with the hole as it’s going down.

Turn the radio on so the motor runs to it’s up position. Insert the serrated cable down into the hole until you hit the motor. The teeth must face the correct direction for the motor to grab the cable. On my 92 Coupe, the teeth faced towards the driver side of the car. You may have to turn a quarter turn in either direction if yours is different. Turn the radio off and guide the cable as the motor pulls the antenna in. It took three attempts before mine went all the way down. If you don’t get it the first time, just turn the radio back to push the antenna back out for another try. Once it is all the way down, turn you radio on just long enough to raise the antenna about 6-8 inches. Slide the contact spring over and down the antenna. Re-install the mounting nut and grommet. Take note the grommet only fits one way. There is a notch to use to ensure proper position.

Done…. Have a cold one!
The following users liked this post:
lyntis (03-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Firewalker11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You for posting which direction your serrated teeth needed to be pointing while inserting the new mast cable. I tried every direction and the cable wouldn't feed when I turned the radio off. I turned it toward the driver's side of my 1994 C4, turned the radio off and the new cable retracted perfectly. Put it all back together and turned it on and off a few times and it works like new!

Thanks for the info!

Jeff
Old 04-10-2022, 08:53 PM
nolet2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re re the mast

Is there a trick to getting the old mast out... Does not want to release... I have the small nut/cap removed but the mast will not come out... Thanx in advance
Nolet2
88-92 Mast, Power Antenna Replacement
Item NO. 601242
Price: $39.99

Tools Required:
Needle Nose Pliers
Electrical tape to protect paint
Towel or work mat to protect paint

Total time: 20-30 minutes

Pry the rubber grommet up with your fingers and grab the end with needle nose pliers. Work around the edge slowly so you don’t tear the grommet, mine was a bit brittle.

The supplied tool that came with the kit did not fit my year of antenna mounting nut. Needle nose pliers will barely fit down in the hole far enough to reach the mounting nut. I put electrical tape on the needle nose to keep from scratching the paint as I un-tightened the nut. Once the nut is off, turn the radio on to push the old antenna out.

Take the contact spring off of the old antenna; it will be re-used on the new antenna mast. The contact spring is a thin metal sleeve about three inches long that is flanged at one end. The flange is what the mounting nut catches when it’s tightened to hold the antenna down. Clean any grime off of the contact spring. Take the new contact spring that shipped with the mast off. Do not replace the old contact spring on the new mast until after it is retracted. The motor goes to fast to line it up with the hole as it’s going down.

Turn the radio on so the motor runs to it’s up position. Insert the serrated cable down into the hole until you hit the motor. The teeth must face the correct direction for the motor to grab the cable. On my 92 Coupe, the teeth faced towards the driver side of the car. You may have to turn a quarter turn in either direction if yours is different. Turn the radio off and guide the cable as the motor pulls the antenna in. It took three attempts before mine went all the way down. If you don’t get it the first time, just turn the radio back to push the antenna back out for another try. Once it is all the way down, turn you radio on just long enough to raise the antenna about 6-8 inches. Slide the contact spring over and down the antenna. Re-install the mounting nut and grommet. Take note the grommet only fits one way. There is a notch to use to ensure proper position.

Done…. Have a cold one![/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2022, 07:48 AM
nolet2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace the mast c4

Thanks for the great info... My mast was seized.. Wrapped with rag put vise grips at joint first and second section and hit up with hammer to un seize
Thanks again

​​​​

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the antenna mast on a C4

Quick Reply: Replacing the antenna mast on a C4