Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Finished install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 AM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Finished install

Here ya go. A total of 3 days:

Frost King matt through out entire car.

***Hint, use gloves, my hands are cut all over, and never knew it was happening. No kidding, I began to wonder why this stuff had a red tint.

New Head unit, Sony, wanted the front port for portable MP3 player. ***Hint, take your sawzall, and cut that darn piece of aluminum support for the old stock radio, if you cut just the part that sticks up in back, with a hole in it, you can slide your new unit in and have tons of room left.

Wiring, used the harness from Crutchfield, everything worked except the switched on power for antenna and amps. Picked up the yellow wire under the pass side kick plate. (thanks other forum member!)

***Hint Get a good flippin ground, use bolt for seat, clean paint of bolt, use file I was getting a continuity and about 7 volts. This cost me about two hours trouble shooting.

The mounting plate, plastic, aftermarket, provided by Crutchfied, sits to far out, will not allow a complete flush fit of dash molding. A replacement from Vrum Vrum, soon. About 3/16 too much.

***Hint Put your car in neutral, if an auto, put the windows down, open the trunk, and the vert cover, prior to disconecting and pulling the battery.

Speaker mounts out of multi ply wood. Mounted cross overs there too. Tweets went in door pulls. Had to epoxy them from the back due to mounting kit provided. Turned out good.

I mounted 3/8 ply under carpet to mount amps. The top does not lay on components but some of the fabric does touch. It does not impede any cooling.

Sub box due today from UPS.

Parts:

Sony CDX-GT400 Head Unit
Infinity Reference 6010cs speakers
Blaupunkt PCA1300 300 x 1 sub Donated
Blaupunkt PCA2120 120 watt x 2 speakers Donated
Alpine SWS 1042 10" Dual Component Sub
Subthump stealth box
Wiring kit from Wally World For just another $20 you get a 1/2 Farad Cap, what the heck, we will see what it does.

Total cost about $1000 less the donated amps from nephew.

The sound is absolutely unbelievable. You can actually here the clarity of the music, no more mush. I did not realize just how bad the stock system is until this install. Not to mention, I can now rattle the windows, doors and mirrors. Good gracious this ****** is LOUD, and clear. And I do not have the sub in yet! Better put lock tite on all the bolts

So far so good, pleased with everything but fit on radio. Due to Free part, but thats ok. Crutchfield also provided the antenna adapter and other goodies too. Customer service is great, plus they have a 30 day no questions return. Free shipping too. This is my first purchase from them.

No the system is not stealthy, it is in a dead area that can't be used for anything. After all the work, I thought about hanging the darn amps on the flippin hood. I wanted everyone to see my pain

This is not a hard job at all, it just takes alot of time.

Best!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:05 AM
TYZ-TOY
Drifting

Nyce install... Thanks for the tips, I finally have all the pieces to start my install. Have you considered making a enclosure with cutouts to cover the amps to give it that finished look?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TYZ-TOY
Nyce install... Thanks for the tips, I finally have all the pieces to start my install. Have you considered making a enclosure with cutouts to cover the amps to give it that finished look?
I have not, but that is a good one, I am asuming that the cooling will be ok?? I will have to do that for sure. Thanks!

What about carpet, I heard onetime that walmart had the carpet that would match light oak and black??

The cover idea is a good one. In the end I do not want to leave all of this exposed. It does allow for a simpler somewhat faster install to start with.

Thanks!

Dang good idea
Old 04-18-2006, 11:39 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Nice install. For those who will sound deaden their doors, you have to leave the windows up. Or reconnect the battery and switch to roll windowws up which will throw some codes until everything is back together because everything else is disconnected. Nice install.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:56 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats! yeah, i definately agree with the facade idea. you can get some 1/8" hardboard and cover it in carpet. those amps would looks sweet flush mounted.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
00Hawk#140
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice install !

If you don't mind , could you tell me how to check if the ground I'm going to use is good enough ? I have a meter for testing , but have never used it, what I'm I looking for to tell if I have a good solid ground ?

I don't have the amp installed yet, but have run the ground to a bolt that is in the cargo area under the carpet, I know it's grounded , but not too sure how well, I think its a bolt that goes to the frame, but it's not a very heavy bolt.

Thanks Tim

Last edited by 00Hawk#140; 04-18-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Very nice!..
Old 04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
adown
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

00hawk, use the OHM selection on your meter. One lead to your anticipated ground spot and the other to a known ground point of the frame. You should read 0 ohms( meaning 0 resistance) if it is a good ground.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:31 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adown
00hawk, use the OHM selection on your meter. One lead to your anticipated ground spot and the other to a known ground point of the frame. You should read 0 ohms( meaning 0 resistance) if it is a good ground.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 AM
TYZ-TOY
Drifting

[QUOTE=gr8vet]I have not, but that is a good one, I am asuming that the cooling will be ok?? I will have to do that for sure. Thanks!

Cooling shouldn't be a issue.. Radio shack sells fans that you could incorperate if it becomes a issue....
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Duramax Dave
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did a great job on the install. It looks clean but I agree that some covers over the amps will really make it look awesome. I hope you'll post some pictures afterwards if you do make some covers.

Thanks for the great advice on checking the quality of your grounding point.

Get notified of new replies

To Finished install

Quick Reply: Finished install