Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shouldn't the Big3 be the Big4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Shouldn't the Big3 be the Big4?

After much research on the Big3 upgrade, I've found that another ground should be added.

Here's the Big4:

1: 0-4 awg power wire from alternator to battery positive.
2. 0-4 awg wire from engine block to chassis ground.
3. 0-4 awg ground wire from chassis to battery negative.
4. 0-4 awg "ground wire from battery to the back of the alternator".

I read this information from this site: www.alternatorparts.com/FAQ.htm#bat%20wire

Another area that little is paid attention to is the ground. You must also improve the ground as well. A poor ground will hinder the alternators ability to send power to the battery and can burn an alternator up just as fast as an inadequate alternator to battery wire. Your ground may be fine when you first install your alternator but over time corrosion and resistance builds up in the ground connections. THIS IS WHY IT IS BEST TO RUN THE GROUND DIRECTLY FROM THE REAR OF THE ALTERNATOR TO THE BATTERY.

And from this site: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=73496&PN=1

NOTE: Realize that the "absolute ground" of the electrical system is not the battery negative terminal or the vehicle chassis, but is the Case of the Alternator itself. THIS IS WHY PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT CABLE AMONG THE BIG 3 IS THE ENGINE GROUND STRAP, AS THIS IS WHAT CONNECTS THE ALTERNATOR GROUND TO THE VEHICLE'S CHASSIS. Be certain the resistance between the alternator case (the engine block assuming the alternator is properly bolted to the engine) and the battery negative is minimized.

It might be over kill for my needs but, I think that adding the ground from the battery to the back of the alternator will make everything run much more efficiently.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

great info...thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The ground from the alt case to the battery is useless. Its only possible use is to inprove current flow and charge voltage to the battery and then only if the main ground from the battery to frame dies
Old 09-04-2006, 12:56 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

the only 2 battery grounds needed are the alternator (i used the alternator mounting bolt) and a good chassis ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Shouldn't the Big3 be the Big4?

Quick Reply: Shouldn't the Big3 be the Big4?