Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Amp power relay/signal wire in series?

Old 10-16-2006, 11:17 AM
NWNewell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp power relay/signal wire in series?

Question:

I'm hooking up my system with two amp wiring and estra RCA's for a sub. Even though I'm only hooking up 1 amp for four component speakers. The plan is to have everything in place for a future sub and supporting amp.

My question is, do I need to somenow run a second amp power signal wire for the second amp, or can I jump it off the first amp and hook up the power signal/relay wire in series?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NWNewell
Question:

I'm hooking up my system with two amp wiring and estra RCA's for a sub. Even though I'm only hooking up 1 amp for four component speakers. The plan is to have everything in place for a future sub and supporting amp.

My question is, do I need to somenow run a second amp power signal wire for the second amp, or can I jump it off the first amp and hook up the power signal/relay wire in series?

Thanks!
You can put a distribution block in place to "jumper" the power - 1 input, 2 outputs. Wherever you got the wire should have the dist blocks available. Make sure you are using a fuse or breaker with enough capacity for both amps. The same is true of the ground, you can either use a dist block or bolt them together.

For the remote turn on you can just jump from one amp to the other, no problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:30 PM
NWNewell
Intermediate

I got a dual amp wiring kit. Comes with the proper fuses for the power and power distributer block, as well as a distributer block for the grounds. Everything seems good, except...

The only thing it seems to be missing is something for the amp "turn-on" relay wire (don't know that I'm using the correct term). I'm sure I can find a distributer block for that.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:38 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

just splice the turn on wire together its the way its done
Old 10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
just splice the turn on wire together its the way its done

There's no draw on that wire, the port is just looking for the presence of 12V so you can string them together, no problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
NWNewell
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheKomoman

There's no draw on that wire, the port is just looking for the presence of 12V so you can string them together, no problem.
That's kind of what I was thinking....

But I want to make sure while I have the capet tore apart for the B-Quite installation ( ) and other wire routing! Don't want to screw it up and come to find I need to tear some carpet up again when that is what I'm trying to avoid right now.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

My HU has to turn on 3 amps, active crossover and eq so I ran the turn-on lead to a Bosch relay which then sent out the signal to turn everything on. Most HUs can't handle turning on more than a couple of components by itself without burning up but with the relay, you'll have the power to turn on as many as you like.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Originally Posted by 65 Hardnoks
My HU has to turn on 3 amps, active crossover and eq so I ran the turn-on lead to a Bosch relay which then sent out the signal to turn everything on. Most HUs can't handle turning on more than a couple of components by itself without burning up but with the relay, you'll have the power to turn on as many as you like.
If your HU is capable of turning on two amps at once, which it should be able to, then splicing the REM turn on wires together will be fine. However, if you plan on turning on more than that, i.e. cap, active crossover, then you will probably need a relay.
I also recommend you use a fused distribution block for your power wires and a non fused distribution block for your ground wires. Wire your car up like you plan on upgrading in the future, that way, when you do upgrade, you're already wired for it. Using distro blocks and relays mean running fewer wires through the interior too.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:07 PM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Originally Posted by _Nomad_
Using distro blocks and relays mean running fewer wires through the interior too.
Yep, plus it isolates your components from the cars main electrical system and HU which in turn greatly decreases the chance of noisy ground loops and feedback.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 PM
NWNewell
Intermediate

:
I also recommend you use a fused distribution block for your power wires and a non fused distribution block for your ground wires.
That is exactly what I'm doing.

I don't plan on doing anything more than adding a second amp and sub in the future... but I may think about a relay for the amp switch wire.....

Thanks for the input! I appriciate it!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:47 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

u dont need a relay for 2 amps hell i used to run 3 amps without a relay for years
Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Originally Posted by NWNewell
I don't plan on doing anything more than adding a second amp and sub in the future... but I may think about a relay for the amp switch wire.....

Thanks for the input! I appriciate it!
If you are only running two amps then you shouldn't need a relay. Besides, it doesn't matter since a relay can be added at any time in the future if you do decide to add several more components. As long as you have your REM turn on wire run to wherever your amp is, a relay can be placed at that point and the power and ground for the relay can be tapped at the respective distro blocks you will already have there.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:41 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

If you are only running two amps then you shouldn't need a relay. Besides, it doesn't matter since a relay can be added at any time in the future if you do decide to add several more components. As long as you have your REM turn on wire run to wherever your amp is, a relay can be placed at that point and the power and ground for the relay can be tapped at the respective distro blocks you will already have there.
Thanks for adding that.. gonna be helping a friend with a project where there will be 3 amps and I was wondering how you wire up a relay. If I read it correctly, there's an input, output, +12 and ground?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Not to hijack the thread. This is close to the subject. Where is the best place to get power from for the remote turn on from? (C-6 Bose)
Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Buddy A
Not to hijack the thread. This is close to the subject. Where is the best place to get power from for the remote turn on from? (C-6 Bose)
Unfortunately you won't find a simple switched 12V in the harness. The radio gets it's on/off from the serial data bus, so you have 2 choices. The first is to wire in the GMRAP module from Peripheral. This is probably the most elegant solution because it will allow you to maintain RAP to the amp, but it's a $50 solution. At the moment I have a trigger wire tied off to the wiper fuse in the passenger footwell. Less expensive and still effective, but it does kill the power to the amp the moment you kill the ignition.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buddy A
Here's how mine is wired ( I hope I get this right).
I have one wire connected from a switched source (accessory) in the fuse panel that runs to a Bosch relay that is wired directly to the battery. That relay sends power to my HU, my EQ, crossover and also connects to the remote turn-on Bosch relay. SO>>>>> I turn on the ingition>> I turn on the HU and the HU sends a signal to the turn-on Bosch relay which in turn tells the EQ and crossover to turn on and their power is already waiting for them since they are connected to the power relay as well. The amps also turn on from the signal from the turn-on relay and get their power from a 2 gauge wire running to a distribution block in the back.

This keeps the whole system totally isolated from my C-2's electrical system. I've never had any noise problems at all. Except from my music.

Last edited by 65 Hardnoks; 10-17-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:05 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

-'24

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Thanks for adding that.. gonna be helping a friend with a project where there will be 3 amps and I was wondering how you wire up a relay. If I read it correctly, there's an input, output, +12 and ground?
Correct....here is how to hook up multiple componants using a typical 30 amp SPDT relay.

Connect terminal #87 to constant 12 volts positive with a fuse rated to the sum of the additional accessories you've added and the components you need to turn on. For example, If you have two fans rated at 5 amps each and a neon light rated at 10 amps, you would use a 20 amp fuse plus 200 ma for each amplifier and processor. Connect terminal #85 to ground, terminal #86 to the remote turn on wire from the head unit, and terminal #30 to each accessory with an appropriate fuse. A fuse (not shown) could also be used between the output of the relay (#30) and the remote turn on wire of the amplifiers and/or processors for extra precaution, but it isn't necessary.

Here is a visual diagram of a relay hookup to further illustrate my above ramblings.

Get notified of new replies

To Amp power relay/signal wire in series?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Correct....here is how to hook up multiple componants using a typical 30 amp SPDT relay.

Connect terminal #87 to constant 12 volts positive with a fuse rated to the sum of the additional accessories you've added and the components you need to turn on. For example, If you have two fans rated at 5 amps each and a neon light rated at 10 amps, you would use a 20 amp fuse plus 200 ma for each amplifier and processor. Connect terminal #85 to ground, terminal #86 to the remote turn on wire from the head unit, and terminal #30 to each accessory with an appropriate fuse. A fuse (not shown) could also be used between the output of the relay (#30) and the remote turn on wire of the amplifiers and/or processors for extra precaution, but it isn't necessary.

Here is a visual diagram of a relay hookup to further illustrate my above ramblings.

EXCELLENT stuff, very much appreciated!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 PM
MrEvo
6th Gear

[QUOTE=_Nomad_;1557324104]Correct....here is how to hook up multiple componants using a typical 30 amp SPDT relay.

Hi what value of the fuse do I need to connect on terminal 30? Is 0.5amp per amplifier? Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
MrEvo
6th Gear

Hi would you be able to send me the diagram how you wired amp the relay? And also what value of the fuse need to be connected on terminal 30? Is it 0.5amp per amplifier? Please be advised thank you. Here is my email add you can send the visual diagram. e2cjeffoy@gmail.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amp power relay/signal wire in series?