Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another take on fixing the flashing SYS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Gixster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another take on fixing the flashing SYS?

I'm about to begin taking the Vette apart for the full system installation.

While I'm doing the work, I plan on fixing a lazy antenna, and the flashing SYS that's a result of the aftermarket Kenwood that's already in there.

I'm going to use an Alpine CDA-9856 in place of the Kenwood unit. The Alpine has an "illumination" circuit specifically described as "This lead may be connected to the vehicle's instrument cluster illumination lead. This will allow the backlighting of the CDA-9856 to dim whenever the vehicle's lights are turned on."

Now, suppose I were to connect this lead to the LED and LCD circuits as opposed to installing the 1k ohm, 1/2 watt resistors, would this do the trick? I've read through the forum, the faq, and the FSM, and I haven't been able to answer this question yet. Anybody know? Is the circuit looking for just voltage or data bits?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

if its anything like the c5, its probably looking for databits. but i have no clu on a c4. it would be worth a try.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

i believe its in the FAQ, it has something to do with splicing a resistor in to make the car think the computer is there
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Gixster
Instructor

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
i believe its in the FAQ, it has something to do with splicing a resistor in to make the car think the computer is there
That is covered in the faq. I don't have a problem with that. What I'm asking is if I could connect the illumination circuit of my Alpine to the LED and LCD circuit in the car to avoid needing the resistors?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixster
That is covered in the faq. I don't have a problem with that. What I'm asking is if I could connect the illumination circuit of my Alpine to the LED and LCD circuit in the car to avoid needing the resistors?
not sure if it will work.. you could try it..
Old 01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
RFDrpm
Pro

Let us know how it works out. I have to tackle that one when I get back from the Gulf in Aug.. See ya'll in 8 mos.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ian1992red
Let us know how it works out. I have to tackle that one when I get back from the Gulf in Aug.. See ya'll in 8 mos.
Stay safe out there
Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

gixster - sorry for posting a generic answer I guess I should have read your thread a little more thoroughly. Personally I dont think it will work but its worth a shot... id be more concerend with frying something
Old 01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Gixster
Instructor

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Personally I dont think it will work but its worth a shot... id be more concerend with frying something
Frying a new stereo was my main concern. I'm probably better off with the resistors than taking a chance.

So, having said that, when I put in the resistors, what's the step by step? What are you guys doing, just inserting one end of the resistor into the LCD / LED plugs, and then soldering that to one of the switched hot wires? Is there a more secure or better way to do it at the plug end?

There's an ignition circuit out on the Alpine, and I have to take that wire back to the plug in the storage bin, so I was thinking maybe I could splice into that wire.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Gixster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gixster
So, having said that, when I put in the resistors, what's the step by step? What are you guys doing, just inserting one end of the resistor into the LCD / LED plugs, and then soldering that to one of the switched hot wires? Is there a more secure or better way to do it at the plug end?

There's an ignition circuit out on the Alpine, and I have to take that wire back to the plug in the storage bin, so I was thinking maybe I could splice into that wire.
Bump. Anybody have some words of wisdom to this one?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Gixster
Instructor

Bump!

Going once, going twice..........

Anybody ?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:31 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

i think you should do the resistor mod, them pick up the dimmer lead for ur radio somewhere else like at the dimmer switch or the hvac controls
Old 01-21-2007, 03:09 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I am with pentavolvo on this one.

My concern would be that the line in question isn't the illumination, but a data line used to feed the SVC feature, and confirm the presense of the stereo to keep the CCM happy.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Gixster
Instructor

Originally Posted by bogus
I am with pentavolvo on this one.

My concern would be that the line in question isn't the illumination, but a data line used to feed the SVC feature, and confirm the presense of the stereo to keep the CCM happy.
Yeah, I'm discovering that. When I pulled the old Kenwood that was in there, the Illumination circuit was tied in, so apparently that didn't work.

How are you guys tying in the resistors to the wiring harness? Just shoving them in there? Soldering them to the pins on the connector?

Get notified of new replies

To Another take on fixing the flashing SYS?

Quick Reply: Another take on fixing the flashing SYS?