Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

bose radio problem in a 91 vette (not zr1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 AM
91greenvette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bose radio problem in a 91 vette (not zr1)

ok I will describe the best way i can what is happening. Hopefully someone can help me out point out the problem....

1. First, the radio is always on when I turn on the car....even if the **** is turned off. As soon as i start the car or turn on the ignition to the on position right before you start it....the radio is on and the power antenna will go up. There will be no sound that i can hear if the radio is in the off position, but its still on. Sometimes cd's will not work either.

2. There is horrible crackeling and hissing sound coming from the front speakers periodically. (I figure this is the front amp).

Does this sound like one problem or two? Will replacing the amp solve the radio problem maybe? What does the cdm contribute to if thats not working properly or possibly the radio?

thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 91greenvette
ok I will describe the best way i can what is happening. Hopefully someone can help me out point out the problem....

1. First, the radio is always on when I turn on the car....even if the **** is turned off. As soon as i start the car or turn on the ignition to the on position right before you start it....the radio is on and the power antenna will go up. There will be no sound that i can hear if the radio is in the off position, but its still on. Sometimes cd's will not work either.

2. There is horrible crackeling and hissing sound coming from the front speakers periodically. (I figure this is the front amp).

Does this sound like one problem or two? Will replacing the amp solve the radio problem maybe? What does the cdm contribute to if thats not working properly or possibly the radio?

thanks for the help.
so with the radio switched off it is still on?? meaning the headunit displays the radio station, and antenna goes up.
that could be either the Headunit itself or the Tuner module (under dash on passenger side.

the Crackling from the speaker is a bad amp, usually the capacitor's have gone bad and leaked and need to be replaced on the amp and then it is fine.

So I think you have more then one problem. my best guess is the Tuner module is the source of the powering problem.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:12 PM
91greenvette
Cruising

yes thats the problem with the radio. is the tuner module called the cdm box? How hard is it to get to?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

yes thats the problem with the radio. is the tuner module called the cdm box? How hard is it to get to?

not TOO Bad.. you have the Service manual? it is well laid out in there
Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 PM
91greenvette
Cruising

yes, i actually have the gm manual. its like 500 pages thick for a 91! It doesnt really troubleshoot things though. It just has a bunch of wiring diagrams and stuff. I figured it was the cdm box from all the other posts about it.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:34 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

yes, i actually have the gm manual. its like 500 pages thick for a 91! It doesnt really troubleshoot things though. It just has a bunch of wiring diagrams and stuff. I figured it was the cdm box from all the other posts about it.
Correct, but there should be 2 books..

you need to follow the troubleshooting steps in the Electrical book sect 8A I believe.. the exact sub section of 8A I forget but it will have diagrams first, then part locations, then a step by step flow chart for trouble shooting.

I replaced one in my buddies 90 it was not too bad and I did not remove the dash pad
Old 01-19-2007, 07:35 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I believe it's a mechanical on/off switch on the Blose on our '91's.
More than likely, the switch is bad.

If so that would leave you with a couple of choices....

1) Locate the 'switched' +12 volts for the head unit and wire in a 2 buck switch and position it somewhere that you would want it to be.

2)Send the radio off for repair.
There's a guy that fixes these POS radios. Dr. Don's I believe.

The amp is bad on your speaker. There are some electrolytic capacitors that dry out over time in the speaker amps.
The amps go unstable and oscillate making screeching, scratching, mooing sounds. %^#*$#%*#@%
Change the amp or send it off for repair as well.

The BLose is the biggest POC (Piece'0'Crap) I've ever seen.

IN my '91 the BLose won't play a CD, won't play a cassette tape and the dial lights are out. What a piece of garbage.
I'm lucky if it will play an FM station.

To add insult to injury, you can't just replace the head unit. Oh No !!!
THe speaker wiring and speakers have to be ripped out and replaced TOOOO!!!

I used to have equipment in some airplanes that I flew that was about as bad..
If it really stunk I'd say "It's Not Worth THe Gas It Takes To Haul It To Altitude".

With the Blose I say "It's Not Worth THe Gas It Takes To Haul It Around The Block".

Get notified of new replies

To bose radio problem in a 91 vette (not zr1)

Quick Reply: bose radio problem in a 91 vette (not zr1)