Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How Do I Bridge A PDX 4.150 Into 2 Channels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Location: Ok! So you don't believe in conspiracies, but will you acknowledge the possibility of there being coordinated activities in secret places? Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How Do I Bridge A PDX 4.150 Into 2 Channels?

I ran a single set from the front preamp out on my headunit. Do I need to Y the RCAs? 2 lefts to channels 1&2 and 2 rights to channels 3&4.
At the amp, how do I wire? Do I take + from channel 1 and - from channel 2 then do the same on channels 3 (+)and 4 (-)
Also, is the + on top or bottom on the speaker terminal plug at the amp?
And, the instruction manual (Fig.2) shows a ground tha appears to be in addition to the power ground, is that so?
The instruction manual sux.
I'd really appreciate the help.

P.S.
Anyone know where I can find the Pioneer 720 PRS components and at a good price?

Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:40 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Whether you use Y's or not just depends on how you want to setup the wires. I think it will probably be easier from a speaker wiring perspective to use the Y's but you could also set the switch to 1/2 where it will take the signal for channel 1 and send it to channel 3 and also send 2's to 4.

If you set the amp to the normal 3/4 and use the Y's then put the left on 1+2 and the right on 3+4 what you would do is hook the + speaker wire to the positive of channel 1 and the - speaker wire to the negative of channel 2. Same thing for channels 3 & 4 for the right.

If you use the 1/2 then you would bridge 1 & 3 for left, 2 & 4 for right. Just a question of what you want to do wire-wise.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This was from an independant 3rd party test of the PDX 4.150:

"My single biggest beef with this whole idea is that I found it difficult to determine how to bridge the channel pairs from the instructions. You will connect the positive wire to only the positive side of one connector, and the negative speaker wire to only the negative side of the other connector for the channel pair. But now, which jacks do you plug them into? For the record, the odd channels (1 and 3) will use the positives, but I determined this by finding out which were the active outputs from the amp. It’s not mentioned in the owner’s manual. If you plug yours in and get no output, just reverse your connectors."
Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
This was from an independant 3rd party test of the PDX 4.150:

"My single biggest beef with this whole idea is that I found it difficult to determine how to bridge the channel pairs from the instructions. You will connect the positive wire to only the positive side of one connector, and the negative speaker wire to only the negative side of the other connector for the channel pair. But now, which jacks do you plug them into? For the record, the odd channels (1 and 3) will use the positives, but I determined this by finding out which were the active outputs from the amp. It’s not mentioned in the owner’s manual. If you plug yours in and get no output, just reverse your connectors."
That is true if you let the amp send the signal to channels 3 & 4 instead of using Y connectors.

But I will absolutely agree.. the manual is complete crap.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Location: Ok! So you don't believe in conspiracies, but will you acknowledge the possibility of there being coordinated activities in secret places? Texas

Okay - 1st off, thank you for the information.
I will not be using Y connectors, so I'll set the switch to allow 1 and 2 to feed 3 and 4.
If I understand correctly, I should then for example:
When wiring my left side speaker, take the + lead from the speaker and run it to the + on channel 1 and take the - lead from the speaker and wire it to the - on channel 2.
When wiring my right side speaker, take the + lead from the speaker and run it to the + on channel 3 and take the - lead from the speaker and wire it to the - on channel 4.
Is this correct for bridging to 2 channel stereo?

Also, on the amp when I insert the speaker terminal plug, should the + be on top or bottom?

Thank you again, Guys!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do that, you'll get mono sound.

Get the Y cables.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Kale
Team Owner

If you do that, you'll get mono sound.

Get the Y cables.

Channels 1 + 2 = Left Channel

Channels 3 + 4 = Right Channel

If you put RCA 1 (left) and RCA 2 (right) into channels 1 + 2, then it combines Left and Right RCA, because 1 + 2 is bridged into Left Channel.

And youll have an identical signal in right channel. The combination of both RCAs.

Y Cables are like 3 bucks at Radio shack. Get them.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Ok - So I use the Y splitters.
I connect both lefts to ch 1&2 and both rights to ch 3&4.
Then when wiring my left side speaker, take the + lead from the speaker and run it to the + on channel 1 and take the - lead from the speaker and wire it to the - on channel 2.
When wiring my right side speaker, take the + lead from the speaker and run it to the + on channel 3 and take the - lead from the speaker and wire it to the - on channel 4.
Is this correct for bridged stereo?

P.S.
I found out that it doesn't matter which direction you insert the speaker plug, as long as you insert the proper wire into the proper hole on the plug.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Yes.

OK Left speaker wire.

Wire + to Channel 1 +
Wire - to Channel 2 -

Right Speaker

Wire + to Channel 3 -
Wire - to Channel 4 -

The following will be empty:
Channel 1 -
Channel 2 +
Channel 3 -
Channel 4 +
Old 06-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kale
Yes.

OK Left speaker wire.

Wire + to Channel 1 +
Wire - to Channel 2 -

Right Speaker

Wire + to Channel 3 +
Wire - to Channel 4 -

The following will be empty:
Channel 1 -
Channel 2 +
Channel 3 -
Channel 4 +
Thank you very much!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

In which position should the input selector switch be?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Kale
Team Owner

The channel 3/4 input should be set to 3/4
Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To How Do I Bridge A PDX 4.150 Into 2 Channels?

Quick Reply: How Do I Bridge A PDX 4.150 Into 2 Channels?