Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Audio/Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Audio/Electronics
Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette Sponsored by
Optima Batteries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
wrw7255
CF Senior Member

Default Installing a aftermarket stereo in my 92 C4

I'm going to install a Sony CDX-GT710 receiver in my 92 with a Bose system and I'm wondering how to perform the the course of action described in TSB 93-68-9A concerning adding a 1K ohm resistors on the LCD and LED legs to prevent the SYS light from illuminating. Can I just tap off the red lead of the harness adaptor which is the switched power lead or do I have to tap into the auxillary power pickup in the console as described in the TSB? Is there a difference? A switched power lead is a switched power lead right? Also the TSB says it may cause the SYS light to illuminate. Is there a reason why it may not illuminate? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by wrw7255; 07-08-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Clarification
wrw7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
GKK
CF Senior Member

I connected the ends of each resistor into the Auxillary switched power lead in the center console and connected one end of one resistor to a grey lead and the other resistor end to a purple lead (the colors might be different) but, I remember they were the last two wires on the stock wire harness. All you need is a switched 12 volt power source, doesn't matter where it came from.

The "SYS" light should not light up. I plugged the stereo harness in, switched the ignition to on and the "SYS" light stayed off.

Last edited by GKK; 07-08-2007 at 01:00 PM.
GKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Spkrboy
CF Senior Member

I actually found it easier to rip the circuit board out of the factory radio, re-attach it to the plugs in the dash and bury the whole thing in the back of the dash cavity. Never saw the SYS light again.
Spkrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:48 AM   #4
wrw7255
CF Senior Member

Default Finally got it installed

I finally got the Sony installed. Overall I'm pleased with the results although I'm not real thrilled with the pouch but it will be OK until I find something better. It sure does sound 100 times better than the Bose. I did not get the flashing SYS like I anticipated. I'm not complaining just surprised. I used Sony 3 way 6x9's in the rear and Sony 2 way 5.25 in the front. I just fabricated simple mounts from some scap half inch plywood. I wasn't looking to build a primo system just something modest to replace that awful sounding Bose. I spent about $400 dollars at Crutchfields and about 3 days of my time.

Click the image to open in full size.
wrw7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:48 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Audio/Electronics
Reload this Page Installing a aftermarket stereo in my 92 C4