Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Factory radio?

Can someone post a pic of a '88 c4 with the factory radio?
Mine has an aftermarket one but I'd like to find a factory radio to put back in. Was a cd player an option in '88 or could the cassette player only be had?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Billy Stargazer
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe the CD player was available until a few years later. I sold my 87's stock radio to a forum member when I replaced it with an aftermarket CD. I would post pics of my radio but can't remember how to post pics on this forum.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I believe factory CD players started in 90in the C4, which I always found ironic because my 89 Camaro had a factory CD player
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM
LoneStarSoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to know what they did to your stock system when they took out the radio......99% had a Bose system in them.....The bose radio does not contain an amp in the radio, the amps are at each speaker.....If they stripped the whole system out, it's a real pain to replace it. But if they just cut wires and basically left it in place it is a fairly simple procedure to replace the stock system.....I did it on my 86 and then added a CD changer which I installed in the passenger dry well......
Have a Great Day!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The 88 didn't have a CD option, only cassette. There was a radio delete option for 179 vettes that year. This is my 86, but should be similar, if not identical, to an 88.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pic from RRT vette matches my 88 original radio exactly. There was only tape available in 88 radios. If the previous owner didn't replace the Bose speakers, I suggest getting a Bose or AC-Delco CD-radio from a 94/95 Camaro at the junkyard or finding one on the web. Look for Part #16175961 Delco AM/FM Bose CD Player. http://www.mnrelectronics.com/delcdcol.html has them refurbished for $349.99. One from a junkyard can often be found much cheaper and cleaned and repaired locally if needed. Both the Bose and non-Bose heads should work with the Bose speakers. You will also need a 12 to 21 pin Delco wiring harness convertion kit $29.95. Most local auto radio shops can order the harness and you can find it on the web or at MnR like the radio above. With these two components you just remove the old Bose radio and replace. It will run just under $400, but there is No drilling or cutting. Unlike a lot of aftermarket units, the 94 CD-radio will fit perfectly, work with the Bose speakers, and look stock in your 88. I have the non-Bose head with my original bose speakers. CDs are so much better than tape.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory radio?

Quick Reply: Factory radio?