Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 Ground Points

Old 11-04-2001, 01:36 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 Ground Points

Hello,

When I bought my C5 I had a audio system installed which was connected to the stock headunit... and they did a good job for the money.... Now I have read 99HT's post and I want to redo all of the speakers and put a new amp into my fathers 2002 Coupe... since the car is going to be soon put away for the winter I want to do the work for him then.

I understand how to connect the head unit to a new aftermarket amp and how to connect the items together but I have a few questions:

1. Where is a good ground for the Amp and Capacitor(using 1000+ Watt Amp)... in my car the installer grounded them to the same point but it was in the engine... I dont want to run 2 wires unless I have to.

2. What material is good to redo the enclosures in the front door? is MDF good?

3. Where is a good point to run the power wire through the firewall.. I dont want to drill if I dont have to...

4. Since I did not see the size of the old Bose Speakers... how big are they... all of them... I have heard that there are 2 in each of the front doors 8in Woofer and 3.5 Full Range? and one on each side in the back?

Thanks ...from me and my dad...
:cool: :cool:
Old 11-04-2001, 02:48 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: C5 Ground Points (NewVetteLover)

#3 Power can be run through the rubber gromet behind the battery. It comes through in the passenger side. Now Power can be found if needrd in the panel under the passenger side footing. A red wire tucked away has 12V on it. Its been a long time to explain it, but it is there.
Old 11-04-2001, 03:34 AM
Sam Lin
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can either run a wire back to the battery negative post for ground, or beef up the stock ground from battery to alt and to frame, and then drill a small hole in the rear side compartment and ground to the frame rail, which is right there. I recommend going back to the battery, it minimizes the chance of ground loops, though in a frame railed car like the Vette it doesn't make much difference.

Front door enclosures I'd say damp with Cascade Audio VB2-HD, then if you'd like a sealed enclosure, get little foam speaker baffles from Crutchfield and fiberglass the insides to make them solid enclosures. To build adapters and trim rings in the door, depending on the depth you need, .5 or .75 inch MDF works for thicker stuff, thinner you can use .25 inch masonite/medite.

As WallStAL said, under the stock battery back in the firewall there's a huge stock grommet with bunch of wiring harnesses. If you spray that with silicone spray you can work your wires through alongside, no new drilling.

Front stock speakers, search for 99HT's posts. Hell, for any stock info, search for 99HT's posts in here. He's been a tremendous asset to everyone in researching the stock setup. Front door is 8, 3.5, twiddler. Rear in FRC/Z06 and Vert is 5.25, in Coupe is 6.5.

Sam
Old 11-04-2001, 11:32 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C5 Ground Points (Sam Lin)

Thanks.... so if I had to I could use a ground distribution block to ground both the cap and amp at the same point right?

Would I just connect the power wire the the + terminal and the ground wire to the - terminal....? Can these wires both fit through that gromet? plus can they be run together?.... I have a 4gauge power wire avaiable but can I use a 8gauge to ground?

What would be required to beef up the other ground?
Old 11-05-2001, 02:56 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drilled a new hole for the wires. That grommet would fit weird if used with 8g wires.

Make a new "0" connector end piece and hook up to (-) of battery.

Speed-Racer

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Ground Points

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Ground Points