Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sub-Amp Install Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 PM
USA - #1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Sub-Amp Install Question.....

Hi All -
There is probably a thread somewhere that specifically answers this question..... Is it possible to pick up the correct (high-level) low frequency signal from the rear speakers of my '04 Z06 to send to a sub amp? If so, will I need to tap one or both rear speakers? While we are on the subject, my goal is to use the stock head unit and possibly upgrade the rear speakers and door speakers while adding a sub amp and a sub box in the rear well. I use this car mostly for going fast and was originally not going to do any stereo upgrades as I did not want to add any weight. But the stock stereo is so weak and could at least use a quality bass boost. What recommendations would anyone like to mention regarding a good amp and speak/box combo. I am looking for TIGHT strong bass from a combo that uses a powerful but small and light amp.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Spkrboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at Komoman's C6 install threads and tap the preamp signal under the center console or in the footwell.

Sorry, I read too fast and thought it was a C6. My bad, ignore me.

Last edited by Spkrboy; 09-18-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

most people who have tapped into the rear speakers for a signal haven't been too happy and have used an adapter. The rear speakers are run off the stock HU power. Check out the c5 FAQ up top, you'll get all the info you need there.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

to do it right u need the pac adapter see the C5 faq
Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 AM
USA - #1
Racer

Thanks for the responses - I'm guessing the output voltage to the rear speakers from the stock H/U isn't stellar, but the real problem is that the rear speakers do not get a full range signal. That makes sense, since the woofers are in the doors. If the rear speakers are indeed powered directly from the H/U maybe there is an internal high-pass filter or crossover.

I'd still like to hear from those who have done a sub-only install that leans towards lighter weight and tight bass. Pictures and amp model / sub & box info, please.

Last edited by USA - #1; 09-19-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

most of us here start off the way you want to. I know I did. I got the PAC adapter and installed a sub and amp. Tight bass will come from almost any size quality sub. Go with a 12" sub or smaller. Obviously the larger ones will also get louder, more cone area. Unless you go with 2 smaller ones. alpine makes a line of amps called the pdx series. They are tiny amps that still put out some power. I would suggest going out and listening to some systems in vettes to give you a better idea. Make sure they are in close configuration as far what you are looking to do. By that I mean, someone who's done a complete system isn't going to sound anything like what you are trying to do. So try to find someone already running just an amp and sub near you and go for a listen. Some good lines of subs are, Elemental Designs, Image Dynamic, JL
Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
USA - #1
Racer

Originally Posted by DPG
most of us here start off the way you want to. I know I did. I got the PAC adapter and installed a sub and amp. Tight bass will come from almost any size quality sub. Go with a 12" sub or smaller. Obviously the larger ones will also get louder, more cone area. Unless you go with 2 smaller ones. alpine makes a line of amps called the pdx series. They are tiny amps that still put out some power. I would suggest going out and listening to some systems in vettes to give you a better idea. Make sure they are in close configuration as far what you are looking to do. By that I mean, someone who's done a complete system isn't going to sound anything like what you are trying to do. So try to find someone already running just an amp and sub near you and go for a listen. Some good lines of subs are, Elemental Designs, Image Dynamic, JL
Thanks for the info - I used some JL drivers in the full-blown system I installed in my Grand National a while back. Solid stuff. (I need to scan some of the photos of that monster. ) I have been out of it for a while, so any amp info is helpful.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:48 PM
USA - #1
Racer

Default WTB: PAC OEM-Vet1

OK, It's time to at least add an amp and sub - I can't stand the lack of bass any more.

I am going to do it myself. Does anyone have a PAC OEM-Vet1 laying around that they would like to sell? This is for my 2004 Z06. Please PM me with what you got. I'll also take any advise on where to find a new PAC OEM-Vet1 on the cheap. I checked fleabay and did not currently see any for sale.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 AM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you picked out your sub enclosure ( stealth box, etc. )? I can help you out if you would like. Pics of my boxes can be found doing a search under my screen name. I also can get you a PAC adapter. They run around $49.99 + shipping.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 PM
USA - #1
Racer

I'm hoping to find a used adapter - theres got to be some floating out there.....

Get notified of new replies

To Sub-Amp Install Question.....

Quick Reply: Sub-Amp Install Question.....