Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Corvette Challenger Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Challenger Speakers

Anyone have any pics of these installed?

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...7&dept_id=1020

They look like a good solution to the lack of sound in the vette.. Any opinions on them?

Thank you..
Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot iof people may try to knock them, but that's not bad for $119 bucks, and basicly just scew in and wire up. and more, i think these could be a part of a kick a$$ system, with a sub in the back, and two kick panel speakers. sound like a concert hall. this si what I got in the back, just 6" subs but they do the job. incedently, that's where most of the sound comes from 'cause of direction. those are good, but gonna be a bit thin on bass.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have that set. I wanted the additional speakers in back, but didn't want to sacrifice too much space - I mounted them at the very top of the back interior wall.

If a great sounding high quality stereo is important to you, I probably wouldn't recommend them. RunningMan373 is correct - they don't have a lot of bass. Having said that, they are fine for me, since I only use them occasionally and at moderate volume. They look pretty good (sorry I don't have any pics), and aren't hard to install.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is possible to get concert quality sound in small boxes.
CORVETTE rear speakers w/ dual woofers eq. to 2 8s.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=634468

Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mia
Anyone have any pics of these installed?

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...7&dept_id=1020

They look like a good solution to the lack of sound in the vette.. Any opinions on them?

Thank you..

Overall, what are you looking for out of putting audio in your Vette?

What budget are you working with?

Are you willing to install a modern head unit in your dash and would you entertain the idea of putting speakers in your kick panels?

If you are into bass with your music, would you be opposed to an amp on the back wall and a small sub and enclosure that still leave room for your T-tops?

I ask because I have helped put a lot of stereos in a lot of C3s and usually what comes out are the above linked type setups. They are cheap, quick, and maybe an improvement over the stock speakers...but I have always felt that if the first step is going to be taken towards better sound it's best if it's done right.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Custom Autosound = huge red flag. I've heard many, many complaints about their products. (In fact, I'm probably the only person I know who was happy with something from them, but it was a regular JVC head unit modified to fit the oddball opening in a '65 Mustang dash.)
Old 01-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pass...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ganey
It is possible to get concert quality sound in small boxes.
CORVETTE rear speakers w/ dual woofers eq. to 2 8s.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=634468

For some reason I thought it mounted on the overhead, either behind and across the roof, or between the T - Tops..

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Overall, what are you looking for out of putting audio in your Vette?
Well, something that sounds decent... I'm not into making noise for other people.. I have XM and an iPod.. I listen to a wide range of music and comedy.. On the music end I am a product of 80's hair metal and DO like it LOUD!!! That's about 30% of the time though..

So I do not need to go ***** to the walls.. I figured some speakers in the back, the kick panels, maybe the dash an amp and be done with it.. Nothing too crazy, though I like more bass than treble!
What budget are you working with?
Well, I've done the interior from the ground up, front end, some mechanical, tires/wheels, brakes, radiator, and still want to do paint....

So kinda tight.. I figure a couple hundred using the stereo that is in it.. more if I chuck it..

To give you an idea, it came with a half way decent (my Friend said it was.. I think it is a POS) Clarion with a removable faceplate.. There are a Pair of Infinity 6X9's that were in the back in custom enclosures. No kick panel speakers and some Panisonics (I think that is what they were) in the dash..

The whole thing sounds like ****... I think one of the speakers in the rear is blown, the stereo is a total PITA to tune and fiddle with..

I no longer use cassettes... I don't like CD's.. I tend to use my iPod and XM and that is about it.. So to that end, I really just something that puts out power and noise and has a clock. I do still have some 8 Tracks of Neil... Would love to have one of those.. Would drive my wife nuts..

So I guess what I am saying is I think I might be better of spending a few hundred to get a decent sounding system with a little bass and be able to use my iPod/XM.. Nothing super fancy, just good sound and simple controls...

Are you willing to install a modern head unit in your dash and would you entertain the idea of putting speakers in your kick panels?
I'm willing to do just about anything to make it better than what it is.. I've taken the interior out and put it back, I think I can handle the stereo... Yes, I would certainly put speakers in the kick panels... In fact, before installing the new carpet I ran pull strings and speaker wire all over the place in anticipation of needing to pull something else through in the future... So I am set in that regard.

If you are into bass with your music, would you be opposed to an amp on the back wall and a small sub and enclosure that still leave room for your T-tops?
Yes I like bass, but we are taking GnR "Paradise City" bass, not Rice Burner "Fast and the Furious" noise... Don't get me wrong, I love rap.. I just do not feel the need to have the whole world hear my windows shake... I'm long out of high school...

So while I would like the bass, I am kinda against anything that clutters up that rear compartment.. I figured an AMP could go in the jack hold, and bass speakers would probably be the only option, or something overhead... I want the rear clean, neat and original.. I would really prefer to go with original fitting speakers in the rear too... The person that had the car previous to me removed them and made some ugly fiberglass monstrosety which they put those 6X9 Infinitys in... It does not look like the 6X9s will fit back there...

I ask because I have helped put a lot of stereos in a lot of C3s and usually what comes out are the above linked type setups. They are cheap, quick, and maybe an improvement over the stock speakers...but I have always felt that if the first step is going to be taken towards better sound it's best if it's done right.

What I was thinking was 4X6 in the kicks with some high end sound/tweeters... Bass Boast 4X6 (that fit the rear) in the rear.. and whatever the hell it is in the dash, maybe not even using? Dash speakers always should like crap for some reason.

From there either an amplified stereo or an additional watter in the rear compartment to feed to two bass boost speakers in the back...
Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Okay, first things first, because this is a really simple plan that works very well. The reality is that for you to install ANYTHING that sounds better than what you describe as an already crappy system, you're going to have to spend a bit of money. Not a lot, but not $200 either.

For your music tastes, the type of bass you will prefer is called SQ. That means sound quality. The other type is SPL, sound pressure level, or 'loud' like rap.

There are subs that do both, and subs that specialize in one or the other.

Take a look at this pic. In it you see an amp mounted to the back wall and a small sub in a small enclosed box. There is still room for the T-tops, and I find this to be a good balance between non-obtrusive and efficient.

Now, for the front, and you'll like this. A sing;e pair of 6.5" speakers in the kick panels and nothing else. No rear speakers, and no dash speakers. Trust me, you get more than enough sound out of a single pair of good quality speakers mounted in the kick panels. The key is amping them, but they will sound a LOT better by themselves than if you add rear and dash speakers. There no grills on these speakers so you can get a better idea of how they fit and look.

The basic setup is this:

Head unit.
Good set of coaxial speakers.
Rear mounted 4 channel amp.
Small sub in small sealed enclosure.

That's it. It can all be had and installed for less than $500 and that's using high quality low price equipment.

Yes, amps can be mounted in the storage bin, but you need a 4 channel amp for all of this to work and those are too big to fit down there. Subs can also be mounted in the bins, but again, you run into room am imaging issues.

With a basic and well designed system like this you will think you're sitting in a Nickelback concert.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Thanks a million!!! I am off to the store to see what I can find...

I know what you mean about basic/simple when it comes ot the number of speakers and an amp... My XM setup is that simple at home. It just consists of two decent amped speakers and a good woofer..

I re-carpeted my kicks last night, so I can see cutting into them now looks as if the carpeting was almost pointless...

That will be fun... Thanks again.. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mia
Thanks a million!!! I am off to the store to see what I can find...

I know what you mean about basic/simple when it comes ot the number of speakers and an amp... My XM setup is that simple at home. It just consists of two decent amped speakers and a good woofer..

I re-carpeted my kicks last night, so I can see cutting into them now looks as if the carpeting was almost pointless...

That will be fun... Thanks again.. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hang on, don't go buy anything yet !!! Usually the stuff you get in local stores is low quality for low price. I want to help you pick some stuff that's high quality for low price.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Hang on, don't go buy anything yet !!! Usually the stuff you get in local stores is low quality for low price. I want to help you pick some stuff that's high quality for low price.
Did not get anything yet.. BTW, there is an audio/electronics place near me that sells the good stuff...

What components/brands do you suggest?

Also, does anyone have a template for the rear speaker holes? I'd like to blank them out. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mia
Did not get anything yet.. BTW, there is an audio/electronics place near me that sells the good stuff...

What components/brands do you suggest?

Also, does anyone have a template for the rear speaker holes? I'd like to blank them out. Thanks!

Okay, going along with the plan I layed out, here are some pieces to look at. All have been tried and work very well together for a fantastic sounding stereo system.

Head unit:
http://item.express.ebay.com/07-Kenw...mdZExpressItem

Front speakers:
http://item.express.ebay.com/Polk-Au...mdZExpressItem

Sub:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3171

4 channel amp:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6098

You'll need a sub box, I can help with the design, and you'll need an amplifier installation kit for a four channel amp, and I would suggest a bit of sound deadening material too.

All in all, that's the recipe for a very well balanced system. Channels 1 and 2 of the amp power the front speakers, and channels 3 and 4 are bridged to power the sub.

Take a look at this stuff and see what you think.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Okay, going along with the plan I layed out, here are some pieces to look at. All have been tried and work very well together for a fantastic sounding stereo system.

Head unit:
http://item.express.ebay.com/07-Kenw...mdZExpressItem

Front speakers:
http://item.express.ebay.com/Polk-Au...mdZExpressItem

Sub:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3171

4 channel amp:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6098

You'll need a sub box, I can help with the design, and you'll need an amplifier installation kit for a four channel amp, and I would suggest a bit of sound deadening material too.

All in all, that's the recipe for a very well balanced system. Channels 1 and 2 of the amp power the front speakers, and channels 3 and 4 are bridged to power the sub.

Take a look at this stuff and see what you think.
Fantastic! Thanks man! I will be ordering the Speakers, AMP and woofer tomorrow.. On the stereo, what about this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7&sku=X60-1020

XO Vision - XO1911 - 3.5-Inch In-Dash DVD Receiver With AM/FM Radio And USB/SD-Card Input

I'm kinda interested in putting something unique in and this seemed kinda cool.. Might need about 1/4" or so of modification.

Yeah, if you have some plans on building the enclosure, that would be great, I am pretty handy and have a wood shop in the garage. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mia
Fantastic! Thanks man! I will be ordering the Speakers, AMP and woofer tomorrow.. On the stereo, what about this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7&sku=X60-1020

XO Vision - XO1911 - 3.5-Inch In-Dash DVD Receiver With AM/FM Radio And USB/SD-Card Input

I'm kinda interested in putting something unique in and this seemed kinda cool.. Might need about 1/4" or so of modification.

Yeah, if you have some plans on building the enclosure, that would be great, I am pretty handy and have a wood shop in the garage. Thanks again!

If you are set on a head unit, I would suggest a quality brand. That one particular is probably going to have some issues common with cheap after market head units. Usually buttons fail, screens lose intensity, and overall performance of it's signal reading and signal output become suspect. I believe Alpine makes a head unit with a screen, very similar to that one...it's just too much of a cheap generic unit for my personal tastes and I would not trust it.

Here are some rough plans I drew up quick like.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Thanks again. Ordered the speakers today. Should be ordering the AMP and Woofer tomorrow.. BTW, the current head unit I have is a Clarion model ARX4670 Cassette with remote, 45W X 4, built in pre-amp. It works, and I am wondering if I could continue using it in the interim. The biggest hang up is whether it has RCA inputs on the back. If it does, I assume I could use it for now?

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mia
Thanks again. Ordered the speakers today. Should be ordering the AMP and Woofer tomorrow.. BTW, the current head unit I have is a Clarion model ARX4670 Cassette with remote, 45W X 4, built in pre-amp. It works, and I am wondering if I could continue using it in the interim. The biggest hang up is whether it has RCA inputs on the back. If it does, I assume I could use it for now?

Thoughts?

Actually the RCAs are outputs, and so long as you have 4 channels out of the back, then you can use it. If it's only got one set, or none, I would suggest replacing it with a newer model. In many cases, manufacturers used the same harness plug through the years so installing a Clarion head unit would be a simple unplug and plug in affair.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Challenger Speakers

Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Actually the RCAs are outputs, and so long as you have 4 channels out of the back, then you can use it. If it's only got one set, or none, I would suggest replacing it with a newer model. In many cases, manufacturers used the same harness plug through the years so installing a Clarion head unit would be a simple unplug and plug in affair.
Great.. I figured waiting on the head unit might save me some bucks for now. And since I am going to be taking out the gauge cluster for some work in the future, I can wait until then and do it all at once, ie., change out the head unit at that time. In the interim, I have the other major components on order and can get them all installed for now.

Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mia
Great.. I figured waiting on the head unit might save me some bucks for now. And since I am going to be taking out the gauge cluster for some work in the future, I can wait until then and do it all at once, ie., change out the head unit at that time. In the interim, I have the other major components on order and can get them all installed for now.

Thanks again!

You're very welcome. The wiring is very important so when you get to that point let me know and I'll do my best to walk you through it if you have any questions.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

You're very welcome. The wiring is very important so when you get to that point let me know and I'll do my best to walk you through it if you have any questions.
Will do thanks..

Quick Reply: Corvette Challenger Speakers