Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bose replacement wiring tips/ search tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 PM
daytonaer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose replacement wiring tips/ search tips

Hello all, I think I've become more confused after spending a few hours searching through the forum for some answers. What I need to know is not in the FAQ.

I have a 1989 c4 with the Bose system and I'm attempting to put in a after market HU. I plan on replacing the speakers in the near future, but there in there for now.

The first question I have is regarding the wiring diagrams. the standard GM 12 pin harness seems simple enough; speakers, power, ground, Lamp and antenna. The concern I have is with the extra wires from the back of the BOSE unit. There is a single pink wire (not in the 12 pin connector, so I believe it to be a BOSE amp relay, not the power antenna switch), a grey with white stripe single wire( white wire w/black shield on radio, believe its for electronic HVAC control, according to my wiring diagram???) in addition to the 2 wire connector with a orange and brown wire (believe orange= constant +12, no clue what brown is)

Can the pink, grey/white, and brown wire remain disconnected? I have no idea why the electronic HVAC needs to be connected to the radio. If its for dimming control, can that wire be spliced into the grey headlight dimmer wire in the main harness?

I'm planning on removing the BOSE system entirely, so no powered speakers, so I did not get a "converter" wiring adaptor/harness for the head unit.

Can the radio be run just as described, or do the power wires to the amps need to be disconnected so the head unit can power the speakers independently until they are replaced? or should I not worry about that as the pink wire is not getting power, so the amps aren't powering up anyways?

One more question I'm a little boggled about. I want to install a switch to keep the power antenna down, the FAQ makes sense but I don't want to dig through the rear quite yet. I was going to simply put a switch on the antenna signal wire directly out the back of the head unit, but was reading elsewhere that wire is used also as a signal to power the amp relay so if you cut it there your speakers won't work. Maybe this is redundant as I don't plan on using the BOSE amp's so it won't matter if they don't power up?

Thanks for ANY help!!
Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM
daytonaer
Instructor

well the brown is indeed a light/dimmer signal, so no worries about that.

Still unsure about the grey/white stripe wire as well as the single pink wire.

Hooked everything up and was not able to get the antenna to come up, antenna signal wire is connected but the single pink wire is not.

.. now I'm working on replacing the speakers. what fun.

EDIT:

Also, I'm looking for a link to a post I found last night but can not find again. It was a step by step instruction on how to replace the bose system including pictures of how to remove and install the door panels properly. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Last edited by daytonaer; 03-15-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Hello,
I am trying to replace the Bose radio/head unit in my 1986. I am looking through the audio section and read through the C4 sticky at the top of the page. There is some informaiton about the antenna there.

I also have the extra 3 wire connections that were on the radio, but do not match up to anything on the new Pioneer unit.

Single Pink wire
Single gray/white wire
Brown wire and Red/white wire connector. ( light dimmer signal + ?)

Those are the 3 that I am looking for in the wiring diagram.

Hopefully there will be some more posts on this to help you out.

kdf
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by daytonaer
well the brown is indeed a light/dimmer signal, so no worries about that.

Still unsure about the grey/white stripe wire as well as the single pink wire.

Hooked everything up and was not able to get the antenna to come up, antenna signal wire is connected but the single pink wire is not.

.. now I'm working on replacing the speakers. what fun.

EDIT:

Also, I'm looking for a link to a post I found last night but can not find again. It was a step by step instruction on how to replace the bose system including pictures of how to remove and install the door panels properly. Anyone know what I am talking about?

On most good HU's, the antenna will only come up when the HU needs it to. If you are playing a CD or listening to sat radio, it will stay retacted. So no need for a up down switch. If you wired your HU to the Bose speakers, you would be very disapointed, as the bose speakers are only 1 ohm, and your radio puts out power to 4 ohm's. In short, you will need to replace the speakers also, or use an adapter.
As for the wiring questions, do you own a FSM? If not they are a good thing to have for an older Corvette, even if you have someone else work on the car.

Good luck,

Randy
Old 05-24-2008, 03:49 PM
texas 85
2nd Gear

does anyone know where the white spade connector on a 85 bose radio go? the one that is comming out of the back of the radio with a plastic clamp. Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To Bose replacement wiring tips/ search tips

Quick Reply: Bose replacement wiring tips/ search tips