Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:56 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Pm me ill solder it up for you,
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent. Thank You!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Pm me ill solder it up for you,
Old 09-17-2013, 10:54 PM
idaband
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...the question I still have. Is why did the full pac solution not work? Did it really effect the audio quality? I read the first post of course. I'm just surprised a product would cause audio issues that I would have figured was tested
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The unmolested signal coming out of the HU is a flat, full-frequency, line-level signal that is PERFECT for amp inputs.

The PAC box works fine as an adapter, it just screws up the one thing that GM got right with the stock radio.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
legoiii
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by EVRose
I would think the easiest thing to do is disconnect the rear's. I plan on leaving mine connected. I'll have the rear channel running the sub amp and the rear factory speakers. I like to have that fill in sound from the back.
If you leave the rear speakers connected will the rear speaker and the sub, now be running on to 2 ohms instead of 4ohms?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The full spectrum bass signal is not present at the rear speakers in C6, if you use stock rear speaker-level signal to supply a sub amp it will be very weak.

If it is connected that way anyway, load on amp will depend on what the sub amp you have is doing with the input. I don't recall ever seeing a written ohm rating for speaker-level inputs to an amp, but I also don't recall ever hearing about blowing an amp due to using speaker-level outputs to supply another amps speaker-level inputs
Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 PM
NolanTA
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

For a 7 year old thread, is the ADD-GM24 still the recommended route for just adding an amp and sub to a stock head unit?
Old 03-19-2015, 11:47 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by NolanTA
For a 7 year old thread, is the ADD-GM24 still the recommended route for just adding an amp and sub to a stock head unit?
Yep

And the wire at B3 is the stock amp trigger.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz

Yep

And the wire at B3 is the stock amp trigger.

Where is B3 located? And is it this the same trigger location if the car has the BASE Stereo and NOT the BOSE Stereo?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:50 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
Where is B3 located? And is it this the same trigger location if the car has the BASE Stereo and NOT the BOSE Stereo?

Thanks!
If you're making the Add-GM24 adapter it's one of the wires

The pins on the big 24 pin plug that connects to the radio are labeled. One row is A1-12 and the other is B1-12. The wire at B3 is the stock amp trigger. It is the same for Bose or non.

If you make the adapter, splice into the new wire. If you're using the stock plug, it's the white wire.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:51 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

could someone please post a pic of how it should look like finished?
Old 06-14-2015, 04:26 AM
Carrol Jorgenson
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
Komoman,

the rca plugs at radio shack have a + positive and a ground connection, not a -negative. Does it still work the same?
negative, ground, earth, chassis/case, return, Lo (as opposed to Hi) are all terms that have essentially the same meaning in electronics. The individual terms may be used to better describe the actual function of the connection in relation to the circuit, but they can usually be connected to the same point (ground or splice) with no detrimental effects except in extremely sensitive circuits or extreme noise to signal level relation. I will probably think of a few more terms when I am actually awake.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:09 PM
MxChris
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would anyone be able to upload the images in the original post again or at least a picture of how yours turned out? I realize this is a very old thread but the info is still relevant and just what I was looking for!

Thanks
Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MxChris
Would anyone be able to upload the images in the original post again or at least a picture of how yours turned out? I realize this is a very old thread but the info is still relevant and just what I was looking for!

Thanks

Old 11-06-2015, 09:53 PM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Love this forum. Thanks for posting such great info. I plan on starting with adding sub to factory nav for now and change head unit down the road.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Gabel1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know for certain whether this also applies to the C7, and whether the PAC ADD-GM24 is the correct harness?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:08 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Gabel1
Does anyone know for certain whether this also applies to the C7, and whether the PAC ADD-GM24 is the correct harness?
I haven't tried it (yet), but I'm 99.44% sure it won't work.
The following users liked this post:
Gabel1 (01-15-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To [C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness

Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
One of the things I discovered early in the process of working with the C6 stereo systems is that there is line level signal available in the factory harness in ALL of the systems, Delco and Bose and including NAV. This is true of ALL of the model years of C6 through 08 and I expect that it may continue throughout the generation, though that is speculation on my part.

This harness you create will become a "Y" adapter, with one side of the Y being the factory connector and the other being RCA outputs to hook to an aftermarket amplifier to drive a full system or even just a subwoofer. This is the BEST way, hands down to get this done. You do NOT need a Cleansweep and using the full PAC AOEM-GM24 adapter adds cost and worse, adds an ugly EQ curve that rolls off bass that will hurt the end result of your efforts.

So, enough pre-amble, here's now to make it...

Parts you need:

PAC ADD-GM24
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+ADD-GM24.html

RCA Jack Red Plastic Part Number 090-266
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-266

RCA Jack Black Plastic Part Number 090-265
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=090-265

These are recommended vendors and parts, you can use any female solder-on RCA's you care to use, Radio Shack has them as well. The ADD-GM24 is the only part that is not optional, and though you may find it elsewhere the easiest place I have found to get it is Sonic Electronix.

You start by cutting off the connector that is intended to plug into the evil OEM-1 box that induces the aforementioned nasty EQ curve. These are the wires you will solder on to the female RCA's. Here's what it looks like:

Solder on the connectors using this table of wire colors:

Left Front + White
Left Front - White/Black

Left Rear + Green
Left Rear - Green/Black

Right Front + Gray
Right Front - Gray/Black

Right Rear + Purple
Right Rear - Purple/Black

The RCA connectors will have a small lead in the center of the plug which is the positive(+) lead. The longer connector is the negative/common(-) lead. Be patient here, and you may want to buy a few extra connectors cause the leads are close together and it's easy to get sloppy and have to start over. The key is to make sure that the leads & wires of each connector do not make contact with one another, if they do the connection will not work. Also, make sure you slide the screw-on cover over the wire BEFORE you solder on the connector!!!

When you're finished your harness should look something like this:

I hope this thread answers some questions and makes clear what you need to do in order to get the best possible output to feed an aftermarket amp while keeping the factory head.
Do you still have the "Images" for this thread? - (the ones that are missing now or that are not showing up now)

If you do that would be great and really appreciated as I need to make this set-up for my '09 factory NAV/XM Bose HU

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-15-2016, 12:50 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Hey guys.. sorry these images have gone offline, I don't really use that site any more and I made some server changes and forgot all about those links. I'll try to get that site moved and online soon. Worst case I'll dig up the pics and post them.

My track day hobby killed my car stereo hobby and I'm way out of touch these days on equipment. The wiring, system design etc all applies all the way through the C6 generation but the modules recommended are likely all out of date and unavailable. Tapping into the wires is probably the best bet these days.

Anyway, I'll try to get those pics up & running!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:04 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Hey guys.. sorry these images have gone offline, I don't really use that site any more and I made some server changes and forgot all about those links. I'll try to get that site moved and online soon. Worst case I'll dig up the pics and post them.

My track day hobby killed my car stereo hobby and I'm way out of touch these days on equipment. The wiring, system design etc all applies all the way through the C6 generation but the modules recommended are likely all out of date and unavailable. Tapping into the wires is probably the best bet these days.

Anyway, I'll try to get those pics up & running!
That'll be cool -

They still do make the adapters/harness from what I can tell -

There is a pic just above here too of one completed by markcz

But I am really interested in seeing your pictures too!

Thanks,Matt

Quick Reply: [C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness