Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GMAH24 wiring for aftermarket stereo on 08 C6 Onstar/No Bose

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:30 AM
socal28
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GMAH24 wiring for aftermarket stereo on 08 C6 Onstar/No Bose

Hi,
I'm planning to install an aftermarket 5.1/stereo system in my 08 C6 Onstar/No Bose.
I'll be replacing the head unit, all speakers and adding amps and a sub. I'm going to attempt the install myself. I'm new to the Vette audio install, but not to stereo installation overall (have done my previous Civic 3 times and Accord twice).
My main objective is to not cut any factory wiring as I'll need to return this car back to stock when the lease is up (yeah, I know...PITA).

My first and foremost confusion is wiring the Peripheral GMAH24 (w/ GMAHCM) to the stock wiring with aftermarket stereo. I believe I have the right adapter/harness to retain Onstar with chimes (no Bose). Looking at the instructions from the GMAH24, I'm a bit confused on where the Onstar sound will come from once this is installed with the aftermarket system. I've done some search in this forum and browsed through the C6 Audio FAQ. I saw some threads that I need to solder RCA plugs to the speaker wires on the GMAH24 and some threads where it does not mention anything of this.

Looking at the GMAH24 instructions of using this with an aftermarket amp and speakers, I don't see where the Onstar sound will come from if you cut the speakers wires from the GMAH24 unit to factory harness and wire directly from amp to new speakers. Do I need another set of "external speakers" (in addition to F,R,C,S) just to wire the Onstar sound? Wires in question are "white & white/blk" and "gray & gray/blk".
As a note, I'll be installing a full 5.1 system which will utilize F,R,C and sub powered by my own amps.

For reference, the head unit is a Kenwood DDX812.

Greatly appreciate any assistance.

Steve
(Trying to add an attachment of the pic of the instructions...)
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...72URDuYrPvLpBw

Last edited by socal28; 12-04-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
PAKirk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding from seeing various installs is that you can just take those wires and hook them to the speaker of your choice. That's what I was planning to do when I install my amp: run the Onstar wires to the center dash speaker, run amp wiring to front speakers and sub, and keep stock wiring to rear speakers. The GMAH24 has a volume adjustment right on it for the Onstar volume, so I believe it's what provides the sound/power to the speaker of your choosing.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
socal28
Racer

Yes, that would probably work, but I'm planning to power the center channel with an amp.
Also, power all the other speakers with new wiring as well.

Do you think I can power my center channel with both speaker connections (from amp AND GMAH24)?
Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by socal28
Yes, that would probably work, but I'm planning to power the center channel with an amp.
Also, power all the other speakers with new wiring as well.

Do you think I can power my center channel with both speaker connections (from amp AND GMAH24)?
not a good idea

maybe hide small speaker under dash
Old 12-04-2008, 01:33 PM
socal28
Racer

Ok, so I guess the conclusion here is that I'll need to wire a small hide-away speaker directly off the GMAH24 "in addition" to my existing F,R,C and sub speakers.
Now the question is, since this is only going to be 1 speaker, which side off the GMAH24 should I use for that hide-away speaker? Left or right side? Does it matter?

Sorry for the detailed questions, but trying to gather all this information before I dive in.

Interesting that this scenerio is not common on this forum.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
PAKirk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socal28

Interesting that this scenerio is not common on this forum.
Most people have no interest in doing a 5 channel setup when they go aftermarket in the C6. Common practice here is to do front components and sub, amp those, use factory center for Onstar, and disconnect the rears.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

left front IMO

Get notified of new replies

To GMAH24 wiring for aftermarket stereo on 08 C6 Onstar/No Bose

Quick Reply: GMAH24 wiring for aftermarket stereo on 08 C6 Onstar/No Bose