Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 security questions, adding 2nd alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C5 security questions, adding 2nd alarm

I know others have installed aftermarket security into their C5's so I know there must be solutions to these two potential problems I've found

1: the factory alarm arms when you lock the doors, so the aftermarket alarm will arm both (not a bad thing) but when the factory alarm is armed turning on the parking lights alone will set it off, the aftermarket alarm could trigger the factory alarm while flashing the lights etc. what can I do about this?

2: when you hit the unlock button to unlock the doors while the factory alarm is armed, that will set the factory alarm off by default. this is good for factory security, but the aftermarket alarm need to unlock the doors. now, it will be connected to the factory alarm turn off circuit (same thing that disarms the alarm when you use the key in the door) but the factory alarm may cause the horn to beep for a second every time I disarm. of course I don't want this to happen. maybe the real system will be fast enough this won't happen? but for some reason I think this may be something I have to deal with.

please let me know if anyone has discovered solutions to these possible problems. are there any other C5 issues I should be aware of?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

simple install, before you install the aftermarket alarm, you disable the stock alarm.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

i won't have all my notes until, i go to work, but here is your wiring

MODEL YEAR(S)
CORVETTE 1997 -2001
KEY T-HARNESS IMMOBILIZER
N/A N/A GM's VATS ANTI-THEFT System, Requires 791 Bypass Module
PART COLOR LOCATION
12 VOLT CONSTANT RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 PINK (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 N/A
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 ORANGE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A
KEYSENSE N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) BROWN (+) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH
POWER LOCK RED/BLACK (TYPE B) IN EITHER DOOR HARNESS
POWER UNLOCK ORANGE/BLACK (TYPE B) IN EITHER DOOR HARNESS
DOOR TRIGGER GRAY/BLACK(-) and BLACK/WHITE(-) Use both, See NOTE *2 @ BCM, See NOTE *4
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION GRAY/BLACK (-) @ BCM, See NOTE *4
TRUNK RELEASE LIGHT BLUE (-) @ BCM, See NOTE *4
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN BLACK (-) @ BCM, See NOTE *4
TACH WHITE @ PCM, See NOTE *3
WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A
BRAKE WHITE (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
FACTORY ALARM DISARM LIGHT GREEN (-) INSIDE DRIVERS DOOR
ANTI-THEFT See NOTE *1 GM's VATS System @ Ignition Switch
EXTRA INFORMATION
NOTE *1 The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) wire may be (2) thin YELLOW wires, (2)thin TAN wires or (2) thin WHITE wires, these wires are usually in a ORANGE or BLACK HEAT SHRINK TUBE, but at times are left out of the tube and ran by themselves up under the dash to the security module. NOTE *2 The GRAY/BLACK (-) is for the DRIVERS DOOR and the BLACK/WHITE (-) is for the PASSENGER DOOR, when connecting to an ALARM SYSTEM, us both wires and DIODE ISOLATE See DIAGRAM NOTE *3 The PCM (Power Control Module) is located on the PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. You will need to remove the right front tire and remove access panel in the Inner fender to get to the PCM. The TACH WIRE is located in the BLUE connector Pin 35. NOTE *4 The BCM (Body Control Module) is located in the PASSENGER FOOTWELL under the CARPET.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
simple install, before you install the aftermarket alarm, you disable the stock alarm.
thanks for your help!

So how does one go about disabling the stock alarm system? I want to keep the factory remote functional though.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

why would you want the factory key fob?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
why would you want the factory key fob?
here are my reasons for wanting to keep the stock remote functional. keep in mind the aftermarket system has a range up to a mile and can easily work even if you can't see or hear the car.
  1. I have a window valet, and I don't really plan to install window controls with the aftermarket alarm. I want to be able to continue to use the window valet features.
  2. I actually like the 99's proximity door lock/unlock ability. I leave it off most of the time, but if I know I'm going to be carrying something heavy or large, or just a lot of things to the car I flip it on before picking everything up and walking out.
  3. I'm not sure I want to hookup the trunk release to the new alarm. as I said before it has a very high range, and no matter how well a fob is designed you can accidentally push buttons. if you accidentally unlock you can fix that by remote. if I accidentally pop the fuel door, I doubt anything bad would happen. but if I were to hit the trunk release by mistake the only way to fix the problem is to walk out to the car. I may not be able to all the time...the trunk being open gives anyone full access to the car including the stereo. I think I would prefer the trunk release to be short range only IE on the stock remote only.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM
0Madvette Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can "disable" the factory alarm, by hooking up the aftermarket alarm's factory or OEM disarm wire up.
What kind of system are you using?
Feel free to call me at my shop at 615-907-8125 after 10am CST if you have any questions. I have been a professional audio installer for over 12 years, and Corvettes and alarms are what I specialize in.
I would be more than happy to help out!!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 security questions, adding 2nd alarm

Quick Reply: C5 security questions, adding 2nd alarm