Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Difference between U3U and 2LZ Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Dameon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between U3U and 2LZ Head Unit

I originally posted this in the Z06 General Area, but they suggested I repost it here for better response. Normally I wouldn't approve of cross posting. Anyway...

I'm buying up one of the last 2009 Z06's in the area and have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 similar cars. One has two tone leather and standard 6 disc changer and the other has ebony leather and navigation. I really want two tone and navigation. I'm leaning towards the two tone car simply because I think it'd be easier to change the head unit (et. al.) than it would be to find, and change, to two tone leather. The two tone dealer is throwing in a U3U navigation unit to help the deal along, but is there more to the factory install navigation than the head unit? To save some money, I am going to install the unit myself (I'm very experienced at that), but are there plugs, wires, amps, microphones, speakers, or any other related item that is different between the standard 2LZ stereo and the U3U navigation? How hard is it to mount the GPS antenna in the factory location, or maybe a better location? The two tone dealer did say he'll give me a U3U "kit"... which I haven't seen yet, so there may be more in the kit than a lonely head unit.

I just don't want to have anything different than if I'd ordered the car with U3U. Thanks for your input and opinions.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

From a stereo perspective the head units are no different. From a NAV perspective the U3U is a piece of crap. If the dealer is tossing the "kit" in at no extra charge what I would do is take it, sell the kit and use the money you make from that to buy an aftermarket head, my preference being the Kenwood DNX series. The navigation is FAR superior, has available iPod integration and USB playback options that flat out ain't available on the stock pieces.

Your conclusion that the stereo is way easier to change than the seat covers is dead-on. Get the 2-tone you want from the factory setup, stereo setup as described above.

I have an 08Z and I can only tell you that either way you go you are going to LOVE that car, enjoy!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Dameon
Advanced

Actually, I'm not even going to install the U3U. I'm getting it solely for "completeness". I already have a CarPC configured for it... just have to fabricate a plate to clean up the space around the edges. I can't do that until I get the car though.

In the event I have to one day sell the car, which I doubt I will, I'd like to have the U3U to install and make it "OEM" for the buyer. I don't want to get 30 years down the road and realize that I won't be able to make it work because I'm missing xxx part to tie it in. For all I know GM won't be around and I won't be able to find the part.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dameon

In the event I have to one day sell the car, which I doubt I will, I'd like to have the U3U to install and make it "OEM" for the buyer. I don't want to get 30 years down the road and realize that I won't be able to make it work because I'm missing xxx part to tie it in. For all I know GM won't be around and I won't be able to find the part.

Thanks.
The OEM head units do not have the old fashion secret code to make them work. Instead, it's my understanding, that after installation the the ECM or BCM has to be programmed to recognize the head unit.

You might want to install this NAV unit, get it programmed and then take it out to install your real radio, so that if you ever reinstall it there is at least some possibility that it will work.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Another Don
The OEM head units do not have the old fashion secret code to make them work. Instead, it's my understanding, that after installation the the ECM or BCM has to be programmed to recognize the head unit.

You might want to install this NAV unit, get it programmed and then take it out to install your real radio, so that if you ever reinstall it there is at least some possibility that it will work.

Just my $0.02

A very good idea actually because you are 100% correct. The units must be VIN-locked using Tech II programming.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Dameon
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys... it ended up almost not mattering. I had decided to go with the local Two Tone Interior car, so I called the Sales Manager on Thursday to let him know I'd be down to sign the papers. He called back Friday and said the owner sold the car without him knowing. I ended up going with the out-of-town deal which came with the U3U and no Two Tone Interior.

My first impressions of the U3U navigation aren't favorable. The graphics look straight out of the 1990's. The navigation in my wifes Prius looks pretty similar (but slightly better), so I suspect there is something going on there. So far I haven't had to "use" the navigation as I haven't gone anywhere I didn't know how to get to.

Other functions of the head unit are of similar response. The XM is unusually hard to use. I haven't "thoroughly" read the manual yet, but it shouldn't be that hard to use. Don't they make these things user friendly? Most notable is the seemingly impossible task of selecting a specific station. I have a few "favorite", or whatever, buttons, but I don't see a way to punch in station 324 for example. To be honest, I haven't been listening to the radio anyway... I prefer the tunes played by the factory exhaust of the 427.

I'm real disappointed in the Bluetooth integration. Maybe it's because I expected more than it's giving. I have a feeling I'll have to read more on that. As it stands now, my phone is paired and I'll be darned if I can figure out how to bring up my phone's contact list via the U3U screen.

A lot of this disparagement could be lack of knowledge. I just need to spend some time going through the massive owners manual.

Who's the recommend choice around here for console bezels for custom head unit installs? Typical Lilliput touch screen hardware.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

You don't need a bezel for the C6, the factory console is double din. You just need a trim plate, and the Metra is the one of choice (I never remember the model #, it's in the FAQ).

The XM tuning really is that bad and it includes the same lovely lawyer nags you get with the navigation, isn't that fun?? My C6's are 06 and 08 so I don't have Bluetooth but I strongly doubt you'll get a listing of your phone book on screen.

Install a Kenwood DNX series with Garmin NAV and then you'll finally have all of the features you were hoping/expecting to get with the factory. You do lose HUD integration though.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Dameon
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
You don't need a bezel for the C6, the factory console is double din. You just need a trim plate, and the Metra is the one of choice (I never remember the model #, it's in the FAQ).
Yeah, that's what I meant. Although it's good to know that it's a standard double DIN and not one of those funky F*rd 1.5 DIN. What were they thinking?

The XM tuning really is that bad and it includes the same lovely lawyer nags you get with the navigation, isn't that fun??
I haven't started research yet, but there must be a way to get past that. In the "good ol' days" a simple grounding of the parking brake was adequate, but I get the impression that movement is now tied in with GPS. That would be a little harder to get around.

My C6's are 06 and 08 so I don't have Bluetooth but I strongly doubt you'll get a listing of your phone book on screen.
Now that's just sad. I'm basing my impressions of the navigation and bluetooth off my inexpensive Garmin Nuvi. When you pair your phone with the Garmin, there is a button for contact list and boom, there it is on the screen... ready to touch a selection and dial. I would be saddened to see the U3U not offer something along those lines. I think you're right though simply based on the fact that there doesn't seem to be ANY mention of bluetooth in any of the U3U menus. That tells me bluetooth was an after-thought. I also didn't know that the 2008's didn't have it.

Install a Kenwood DNX series with Garmin NAV and then you'll finally have all of the features you were hoping/expecting to get with the factory. You do lose HUD integration though.
I can deal with the loss of HUD integration especially since I didn't even know it had that until the other day by accident. No matter, like I said above, I'm going with CarPC because of the wide berth of apps available. Cool stuff like OBD integration and my choice of navigation application (I'll probably use Google Earth or Streets and Trips).

Thanks for the quick input Komoman! You seem to be a real wealth of knowledge.

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between U3U and 2LZ Head Unit

Quick Reply: Difference between U3U and 2LZ Head Unit