Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

install update

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Default install update

I removed the center speaker and made a custom plate for the sirius antenna and screwed it back in speaker holes. Works great and you can't even tell its there. I was a little worried about the depth and hitting the top of the plastic cover but it snapped down fine!

I also replaced the rear's with some polk MM 5 1/4's that said they didnt fit on some of the sites that check fits on makes and models of cars. BS!

I think they said it didnt fit because they have crossovers. There is a HUGE amount of space behind speakers. I just took some pollyfill and stuffed the "s" out of the holes and put the crossovers in there. I am still running the kenwood for the front and rear with no amp. I am waiting for my 6 1/2 MM's to get here so I can make the custom plates for the front and do some sound deading. I did rip all of the interior out of the back while I was replacing the rear speakers and insulated / sound deadend that. I will do the front when I rip the doors apart.

To make the custom plate for the gps I used an electrical cover from a recesed light (hehe) traced the speaker and tin snipped the outline, drilled the speaker holes and screwed it back in place.

One other note, I epoxied the radio mount because it kept pushing it and not staying in place. I did then when I had it appart for the sirius install. Might be a good thing to just glue the side pieces on from the start! The little B aint moving now!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm actually taking a break from doing my little upgrade install right now. One of the things I'll be doing is moving my SIRIUS antenna up to the center speaker area and mounting it on a DIY plate. I made it out of a piece of scrap metal I found at work

Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice, mine works great and no signal loss yet! I am in Va...

Get notified of new replies

To install update

Quick Reply: install update