Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

After Market HU Poor radio reception

Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default After Market HU Poor radio reception

Recently installed Jensen HU in my 08 C6 Vert and all the sound sources sound great except the FM.

I've rechecked all the antenna wiring from the head unit to the rear bumper and all seems fine. Worked fine with the stock HU. I changed the antenna adapter as well since it was cheap to try.

The sound is like the radio station is just off the signal. Kinda of scratchy. The antenna is plugged into the HD unit and I assume the HU get the signal from there since the head unit does not have a place for the wire. You have to use the HD unit with this model.

I was looking at some aftermarket antenna at Pep Boys tonight and was wondering if I could use a standard antenna maybe mounted to the rear impact bar behind the bumper.

This sound like an improvement or crazy?

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try this thread, it may be your answer.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...ml?forum_id=20
Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Well it certainly makes sense. I'll have to pull out the schematics and see if the C6 and C5 antennas are basically the same.

You would sure think that the peripheral adapters would take this into consideration if this is the case.

Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by tsts

Last edited by RLSebring; 04-22-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 PM
BobbyC3
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Cool
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by tsts

In looking at the wiring for the HU and GMAH24B looks like the blue wire is used for the ant module. I'll look at the antenna schematic tomorrow and see if there may be another something to do.

I don't see this problem listed in the C6 section and very few complaints so I am wondering if I have just a bad adapter wire although I have replaced it once.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

From the C6 Audio FAQ stickied at the top of the page:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1562487181-post10.html

The Peripheral module doesn't address the antenna amp because the rest of the GM's don't have that issue due to steel bodies. Only Corvette has to worry about that because of the inability to use the fiberglass(SMC) bodies as antennas.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

I spent about an hour searching before asking. Either I still don't know how to search or somethings wrong...

Anyway, thanks Dan. I'll take the dash apart again sometime this week and get this regulator installed. Although I don't listen to FM that much the daughter does when she's riding. It's embarrassing when they "that sounds like crap, whats wrong with it".

I appreciate the info. The answers are always here on the forum in one manner or other.

Originally Posted by TheKomoman

The Peripheral module doesn't address the antenna amp because the rest of the GM's don't have that issue due to steel bodies. Only Corvette has to worry about that because of the inability to use the fiberglass(SMC) bodies as antennas.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The 5v regulator trick is only for C5, C6 only needs 12v.

If you're using the stock amp/speaker setup, the antenna module is already being powered by your amp trigger wire

If you have an aftermarket amp you'll need to connect the blue antenna wire coming out of the HU to the blue wire on the adapter.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

OK... so which is it before I tear my dash apart again. I just spent an hour and about 20 bucks getting the parts for this.

Originally Posted by markcz

If you're using the stock amp/speaker setup, the antenna module is already being powered by your amp trigger wire

If you have an aftermarket amp you'll need to connect the blue antenna wire coming out of the HU to the blue wire on the adapter.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:01 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Default Sounds Awful

I put in the voltage regulator/resistor but it didn't help. The installers also put in a relay, I think that its described in the FAQ's as well, but it uses my blue wire too. The info is a bit confusing because it is conflicting, and once people have their system working, they don't come back to this board.

A guy described an install of the same Pioneer that I have in the C6 section, but did not complain about the radio. ???

A stand alone antenna was just as weak, so I suspect the head unit reception too. I may give it another try in the next few weeks.

Good Luck
Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RLSebring
OK... so which is it before I tear my dash apart again. I just spent an hour and about 20 bucks getting the parts for this.
The only place the 5v regulator is needed is in C5 Coupe due to the split window antennas. C6 has a 'FM Composite' wire on the schematics, but that isn't the same as the trigger voltage for the C5 amplified module.

Are you using the stock amp? If yes, the antenna module is already powered. If no, you need to power it when you're listening to the radio, use the blue HU wire on the blue interface wire.

Once it's powered, that's as good as it gets. Just make sure the antenna plugs don't come loose when you push the HU back into the dash.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Default Not true

There is plenty of info, including the C6 FAQ link above, saying that the antenna amplifier module requires a lower voltage to signal that it needs to increase the amplification. If it didn't it probably would not be posted in the FAQ's.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

In red is what I find most of the time and is why I am asking. For those that have replied I have trusted their information in the past. I've had a couple of PM's saying it both ways.

I'll pull this thing apart tonight when it cools off a little and find out first hand. I truely hope this is all it is as I don't what to get into something deeper or find out the head unit has a problem.

I will come back and post up MY results.

Originally Posted by MP35N
I put in the voltage regulator/resistor but it didn't help. The installers also put in a relay, I think that its described in the FAQ's as well, but it uses my blue wire too. The info is a bit confusing because it is conflicting, and once people have their system working, they don't come back to this board.

A guy described an install of the same Pioneer that I have in the C6 section, but did not complain about the radio. ???

A stand alone antenna was just as weak, so I suspect the head unit reception too. I may give it another try in the next few weeks.

Good Luck
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Hawk07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markcz

Originally Posted by MP35N
There is plenty of info, including the C6 FAQ link above, saying that the antenna amplifier module requires a lower voltage to signal that it needs to increase the amplification. If it didn't it probably would not be posted in the FAQ's.
So which is it? 12v as Mark says or 5v as MP35N says the FAQs calls for?
Either way, the correct voltage for this work around needs to be posted and the incorrect one needs to be taken down.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

This is some of the text from that link:

The connections are easy, but you will have to solder them. The 7805 / 960 has 3 pins which are about 3/4" long. One is the input voltage, one is ground, and one is the regulated 5V output. I connected the 7100's power antenna control wire to the input, grounded the output, and connected the 5V output to the "Antenna Enable Signal" of the Antenna module. On my 05 C6, that was pin B3 of the 24-pin factory radio connector (it's a white wire, third one in on the 'bottom' of the connector).
The poster of that info may have had better reception after doing it, but that doesn't change the fact that the white wire at pin B3 of a C6 has 12v on it when the stock radio is installed. B3 is the 'amp turn on' wire for the stock C6 amp (in both Bose and non-Bose), it ALSO powers the antenna module, but it is definitely 12v. On the schematics that 12v circuit is called the 'antenna enable signal'.

===================================

If you go to the main body of the thread the above info was in, then follow the other links to the original thread that first mentions anything about 5v antenna circuits, you'll eventually end up at THIS THREAD.

That info was for a C5, but not even all C5's, just the coupe. C5 schematics are available HERE

====================================

In a C6, the white wire at B3 is normally a 12v circuit, that I'm 100% sure of.

Since its raining out and I can't do my yardwork, I did some digging....

From the 2005 service manual:

Radio Poor Reception
Schematic Reference: Radio/Audio System Schematics

Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle
Always perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle before proceeding with these diagnostic procedures. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle .

Antenna System Test
Important: Always zero out the DMM before taking a resistance measurement in order to ensure an accurate reading.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disconnect the antenna lead-in connector from the radio receiver.
Measure the resistance from the negative battery cable to the coax outer conductor connector.
The resistance measured should be 0.20 ohms or less.
Test the following when the resistance is greater than 0.20 ohms. • The coaxial cable interconnects for a poor connection or corrosion.
• Test for an open or high resistance from the battery negative cable to the body. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .

After finding and correcting the condition, operate the system in order to verify the repair.
Perform the Antenna Checking Procedures after confirming the integrity of the antenna ground.

Diversity Antenna System
This diversity antenna system is comprised of 3 antennas, 2 radio antenna modules, a coax, and an FM composite signal from the radio to the left antenna module. In AM and WX mode the system functions as follows: The left antenna module takes the signal from the AM antenna. The left antenna module amplifies this signal and sends it to the radio. In FM mode the system functions as follows: In this mode the radio supplies 5-8 volts over the FM composite signal wire and this switches the modules into FM mode. The left antenna module sends 8 volts to power the right antenna module via coax. The right antenna module takes signal from the FM2 antenna and sends it to the left antenna module where it is mixed with the signal from the FM1 antenna. The left antenna module combines and amplifies both signals and sends the combined signal to the radio. The FM composite signal also provides a feedback signal to the left antenna module, which indicates the quality of the signal. The following information lists the most probable cause of the concern to the least probable cause followed by the appropriate test for that condition. If the test leads to the replacement of a component, always inspect for a poor connection before proceeding with the replacement. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs .

Perform the Antenna System Test and test the antenna coax cable prior to performing any of the following tests.

Poor Reception on Both AM and FM Bands

• The antenna enable circuit is open or shorted to ground or shorted to B+. Test for 8 volts on the antenna enable circuit at the left antenna module. If the voltage is not within or near the specified value, test the antenna enable circuit for an open or short to ground or short to B+. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
• The radio antenna modules are not grounded properly. The module grounding screws should be clean and tight. The antenna module grounds are either a chassis ground or a ground strap. Measure the resistance from the antenna module base plate to a good ground. Resistance should be 0.20 ohms or less. Find and correct the condition if the resistance is out of specification.
• The FM composite signal circuit to the radio antenna module is open, shorted to ground, or shorted to B+. Test the FM composite signal circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
• Defective left antenna module--Replace the left antenna module. Refer to Antenna Module Replacement for replacement.
• Defective left antenna--Replace the left antenna. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
• Defective coax between the left antenna module and the radio. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
• If no failures were found, replace the radio. Refer to Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming.

Poor Reception on AM Band Only

• Defective left antenna module--Replace the left antenna module. Refer to Antenna Module Replacement for replacement.
• Defective AM antenna--Replace the antenna.
• The FM composite signal circuit to the radio antenna module is open, shorted to ground, or shorted to B+. Test the FM composite signal circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Poor Reception on FM Band Only

• Defective left antenna module, no 8-volt output--Replace the left antenna module. Refer to Antenna Module Replacement .
• Defective left or right antenna module--Replace the antenna module. Refer to Antenna Module Replacement .
• Defective FM1 or FM2 antenna--Replace the antenna.
• Defective coax between the left and right antenna modules--Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .
• The FM composite signal circuit to the radio antenna module is open, shorted to ground, or shorted to B+. Test the FM composite signal circuit at the left antenna module for 5-8 volts. If the voltage is not within or near the specified value, test the FM composite signal circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
• The coax between the left and right antenna modules is open or shorted to ground or short to B+. Test for 8 volts from the center conductor of the coax from the left antenna module. If the voltage is not within or near the specified value, test the coax for an open or short to ground or short to B+. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Originally Posted by Hawk07
So which is it? 12v as Mark says or 5v as MP35N says the FAQs calls for?
BOTH, but they need to be applied at the proper time and place

=====================================

For the best possible radio reception in a C6 with an aftermarket radio installed:

At the main C1 radio plug, supply 12v to the white wire at B3 whenever the radio is playing, and 5v to the yellow wire at A4 when you're listening to FM.

C6 schematics are available HERE

On the aftermarket interface adapters, the blue wire is at pin B3, so if you're still using the OEM amp/speaker setup your B3 wire already has 12v. If you're reception complaints are with AM, there's nothing more you can do. If FM is the problem, try adding the 5v at A4.

=============================

Just FYI, I have an AVIC-D3 installed in my '07 coupe. I have 12v on the white B3 wire whenever the HU is powered up, nothing is connected to my yellow A4 wire. My AM reception kinda sucks. My FM reception is pretty good. I almost never listen to local radio stations

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

get a metra aftermarket antenna, hid it under the front grill, problem solved

Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Well the storms are gone so I'm going the do the regulator this afternoon.

If that doesn't work I'll probably try the aftermarket antenna. That would mount to the rear crash bar pretty easily.

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
get a metra aftermarket antenna, hid it under the front grill, problem solved

Get notified of new replies

To After Market HU Poor radio reception

Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

UPDATE...

Installed the voltage regulator this afternoon. Prior to installation I checked the voltage at the FM module. The white wire (x1) had 11.7 volts. The yellow wire (x2) did not have voltage. After install the yellow had 4.7 volts and the reception made a pretty substantial improvement.

AM comes in now and FM signal strength is at maximum bars whereas before it was at 3 bars. All FM stations are playing now.

HOWEVER The audio is fuzzy now at top end of the frequency at any volume from very low to very load while stting still in the driveway. I've checked the most recent connections and they are good. CD, DVD, SD and USB plays perfect although I need to work on my recording levels.

Just tried it while driving and the same fuzzyness.
I ran out of daylight so tomorrow I'll check my antenna coax from the module to the head unit and see if something is amiss. At least I don't have any engine noise.

Last edited by RLSebring; 04-25-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Hawk07
Burning Brakes

HOWEVER The audio is fuzzy now at top end.
By "top end" do you mean on the FM dial? Top end of the volume, highs in the music? Or top end as in 6th gear or higher speeds?

Thanks for the update and look forward to your results in the end...
Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

By "top end" do you mean on the FM dial? Top end of the volume, highs in the music? Or top end as in 6th gear or higher speeds?

Thanks for the update and look forward to your results in the end...

Post fixd...

UPDATE...

Installed the voltage regulator this afternoon. Prior to installation I checked the voltage at the FM module. The white wire (x1) had 11.7 volts. The yellow wire (x2) did not have voltage. After install the yellow had 4.7 volts and the reception made a pretty substantial improvement.

AM comes in now and FM signal strength is at maximum bars whereas before it was at 3 bars. All FM stations are playing now.

HOWEVER The audio is fuzzy now at top end of the frequency at any volume from very low to very load while stting still in the driveway. I've checked the most recent connections and they are good. CD, DVD, SD and USB plays perfect although I need to work on my recording levels.

Just tried it while driving and the same fuzzyness.
I ran out of daylight so tomorrow I'll check my antenna coax from the module to the head unit and see if something is amiss. At least I don't have any engine noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After Market HU Poor radio reception