Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Kenwood DNX6160

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kenwood DNX6160

Hi,

I just ordered the kenwood 6160 from ebay. And then ordered the installation kit needed from crutchfield. I will try to post some pics of the install as I am doing it. I will def take some before and after pics. It should arrive this week and hopefully I will be installing it over the weekend.

Does anyone have any pics of this unit installed in a C6, or a similar head unit? I am getting it more for the NAV but the bluetooth and ipod intergration are nice to have also.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of a DNX5160 unit I had installed several weeks ago. Ignore the facia damage on the right side - this is a ZHZ and it was damaged by the bracket for the Hertz GPS system. It looks much worse on this photo than it really is, in fact I did not notice the damage until I started looking into replacing the original factory stereo head.

I originally had a problem with OnStar not working after the DNX5160 was installed. After some help on this forum it was tracked down to the interface cable, a Metra GMOS01. The GMOS04 cable packaging states that it is for Bose systems and the GMOS01 is for non-Bose systems. In fact the correct cable is GMOS04, even though I do not have a Bose system. After contacting Metra technical help, they stated that the GMOS04 is the correct cable to use as that is designed for systems with amplifiers, and that all C6 Corvettes (at least 2008 on, and probably earlier) have amplifiers. The only issue I have is that when operating the OnStar system the DNX5160 powers down. After ending a OnStar call, the unit powers up reboots and returns to the state it was in before the power down. It would be much better if the DNX5160 would simply be muted during OnStar operation. It may be an interconnect problem, I have not used OnStar enough to worry about it. I would be interested to know what your results are if you have OnStar.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by ZBEE 062
Here is a pic of a DNX5160 unit I had installed several weeks ago. Ignore the facia damage on the right side - this is a ZHZ and it was damaged by the bracket for the Hertz GPS system. It looks much worse on this photo than it really is, in fact I did not notice the damage until I started looking into replacing the original factory stereo head.

I originally had a problem with OnStar not working after the DNX5160 was installed. After some help on this forum it was tracked down to the interface cable, a Metra GMOS01. The GMOS04 cable packaging states that it is for Bose systems and the GMOS01 is for non-Bose systems. In fact the correct cable is GMOS04, even though I do not have a Bose system. After contacting Metra technical help, they stated that the GMOS04 is the correct cable to use as that is designed for systems with amplifiers, and that all C6 Corvettes (at least 2008 on, and probably earlier) have amplifiers. The only issue I have is that when operating the OnStar system the DNX5160 powers down. After ending a OnStar call, the unit powers up reboots and returns to the state it was in before the power down. It would be much better if the DNX5160 would simply be muted during OnStar operation. It may be an interconnect problem, I have not used OnStar enough to worry about it. I would be interested to know what your results are if you have OnStar.
if wired properly it will mute and stay on
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZBEE 062

I bought the GMS04 install kit from metra, and I dont think I have a bose system so I should be good to go with this? According to cruthfield (where I bought the metra kit from) told me I bought all the neccessary wiring harnesses to succesfully install the 6160. Everything is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I am looking to install it ASAP. I did a dry run of taking the OEM head unit out and the wiring in the back is pretty simple. I will post some pics of before and after and post them up in this thread.

I like the way it looks sitting in the console, and I like the corvette logo on the splash screen.

Thanks for the info and posting the pictures, I am excited about installing my 6160!

Last edited by pTr73; 06-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

gmos04 is garbage good luck with it
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
gmos04 is garbage good luck with it
Can you please support your claim as to why its garbage and/or provide an alternative?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pTr73
Can you please support your claim as to why its garbage and/or provide an alternative?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

do a search on the forum, they are nothing but trouble.

pac/peripheral is the only way to go
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stereo shop that installed mine sold both Metra and Peripheral cables and their comment was that in their experience they have had less problems with the Metra cables, but I have no way to judge one way or the other. They are a fairly well known company in upstate SC, not a mom and pop one store outfit.

Yes the GMOS04 is the correct Metra cable to use for 2005-2010 Corvettes. Per Pentavolvo the Peripheral cable may be a better choice.

The system I have includes a Sirius radio module, a USB connector and an IPod connector. It also includes, of course, the Nav system and an AM/FM tuner. A blue tooth module is an optional extra that I did not purchase. Everything works on my system with the Metra cable except as mentioned earlier the system shuts down when the OnStar system is operated. Keep us informed on how you make out with the Metra cable.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Ok granted some may not like the Metra but its too late now... I already installed it and only took me less than 3 hours (I took my time). The wire connecting was pretty straightfoward and the instructions were fairly easy to read/understand. all the chimes work except for the beep when you press the doorlock button, and the traction control (I will call metra about that ASAP). Other than that all else is fine. The radio sounds just as crisp as the factory. I have to open the console up again and make a few minor adjustments as well as run the USB cable to the cockpit of the car so I can plug my ipod into it. I should have done all that while I had it open but I really wanted to get it in and see what it looks like, besides wont take long to re-open it and make some adjustments, to the unit.

Here is a before and after photo. I am happy with the radio and it looks nice sitting in the opening where the bland OEM unit was.

Last edited by pTr73; 06-25-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
cincykid
Advanced

Default Identical setup

JUST installed my 6160 in my C6 2 days ago. Love it. I am having trouble getting my EVO to send my phonebook to the unit, but everything else is working. Took me a minute to find on the internet how to change both the splash screen as well as the background, but once I found out how (Which their instruction book does NOT tell you how to do), it literally takes less than a minute to do. I also believe it is the same process on all of the 6000 and 5000 series models. My wife got in the car yesterday and just laughed because I took a picture of myself and my 2 kids looking through a glass window and squished our faces really tight so when she turns on the radio it looks like we are stuck behind the screen. If anyone knows how to send my phonebook to the unit from my droid evo, please let me know. The phone works great and I can dial out and recievee calls, but no phonebook shows up. What SUX is you cant stream via bluetooth from my phone to the radio for Pandora. I have to use the stereo mini cable. If anyone needs help with the backsplash and background changes, I can tell you how to do that as well.

Last edited by cincykid; 01-05-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
vettedawg2
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cincykid
If anyone needs help with the backsplash and background changes, I can tell you how to do that as well.
Please explain how to do it, I have a DNX 5160. Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 12:42 AM
BADASSTT
Intermediate

yes, I would like help also. I have the Kenwood DNX6160 on my 09 1LT and I would like to have that Factory Corvette flag logo when I start the car up. Is this possible? Also, I noticed when I first start the car now there is one loud chime it didn't do this before. If anyone can help me with this that would be great. One more thing. I planning on getting HUD from the GM where house is it going to give any issue's or will it work fine.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:51 PM
BADASSTT
Intermediate

Bump Can anyone help me.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Lots of pics to choose from HERE

If you need help getting the pic onto your radio, check out KenwoodForums.com
Old 10-19-2014, 03:33 PM
BADASSTT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markcz
Lots of pics to choose from HERE

If you need help getting the pic onto your radio, check out KenwoodForums.com
Thanks, I'm checking out the pics as for Kenwood. I called them for help to set it up, and they were not much help. The guy I spoke to was really rude. Hopefully the forum will help? But if anyone in this forum has done this please help

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DNX6160

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX6160