Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C6 vert rear speakers, what speakers to replace with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Default C6 vert rear speakers, what speakers to replace with?

I want to replace the rear speakers in my 05 vert. I know what to use for my 3.5's in the doors, but what speakers are good for the rear, behind the seats on a vert? also, what size are they and how hard are they to replace? I have the six disc bose, non-nav unit. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I would put some quality 6.5" Components up front and these behind the seats.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1557

Last edited by NYC6; 07-15-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 AM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
I would put some quality 6.5" Components up front and these behind the seats.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1557
$850 is way too much in my book. They look very nice, but I don't want to have to add an amp or anything else. You are looking at $1000 plus to put these in with an amp. I'm just looking for some replacement speakers for a little better sound. I don't need to wake up the neighbors, just add a little more quality to what I have. Boy I wish GM would get off this Bose crap. For what they spend and charge us for a Bose system, we could have a very nice sounding stereo in a vette!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

polk db 521
Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Since the vast majority of the top competition sound systems ever built do not use rear speakers and those few that do so use one or two mids only, no tweeters and played in a very narrow band width at low level, I just do not run rear speakers, normally.

For those that want them for personal taste, I use a lower end version of the same brand normally and have a set installed in my C6 vert but have not hooked them up yet. The ID CTX5 is a lower cost, competent speaker that is more than up to the task of some rear fill.

Their CTX65cs is a low cost component set that works well for the front stage and the XS series has an incredible midrange driver, what I mostly sell in my Vette audio packages.

I stock all these, have great prices and when combined with my sound deadening packages, hard to beat

Rick
Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iridelow
$850 is way too much in my book. They look very nice, but I don't want to have to add an amp or anything else. You are looking at $1000 plus to put these in with an amp. I'm just looking for some replacement speakers for a little better sound. I don't need to wake up the neighbors, just add a little more quality to what I have. Boy I wish GM would get off this Bose crap. For what they spend and charge us for a Bose system, we could have a very nice sounding stereo in a vette!
They are pricy but they sound really good. I heard them in a vert and they really improve the sound quality and range. The C6 is lacking in bass and highs, not to mention mids also. The JL's help fill in the missing lows. Especially in a vert where road and air noise masks so much sound. But I understand not wanting to spend so much.

Last edited by NYC6; 07-16-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a bit of "JL tax" on their products, just like so many Vette products have a serious "Vette tax" you can do better for less, really

JL is a good company that makes good products, just a bit spendy, there are quite viable alternatives for much less money.

I will be testing several different rear mids for those wanting them, I have coaxials to test as well but most likely just mids will be recommended. Some I will sell, some I will just recommend and if the ones I sell are not the best way to go I will recommend ones I do not even sell as I want you guys to have the best for the money you can get and they will not cost much at all, I promise

Rick
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

bein a bose car the rear speakers are mono to begin with so dont waste ur money on a high dollar speaker if u are using stock amp
Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Rick, Let me know what you come up with as I still haven't replaced the rears in my Vert yet. Still running all stock.

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
There is a bit of "JL tax" on their products, just like so many Vette products have a serious "Vette tax" you can do better for less, really

JL is a good company that makes good products, just a bit spendy, there are quite viable alternatives for much less money.

I will be testing several different rear mids for those wanting them, I have coaxials to test as well but most likely just mids will be recommended. Some I will sell, some I will just recommend and if the ones I sell are not the best way to go I will recommend ones I do not even sell as I want you guys to have the best for the money you can get and they will not cost much at all, I promise

Rick

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Fuzzy Walnuts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the vast majority of the top competition sound systems ever built do not use rear speakers and those few that do so use one or two mids only, no tweeters and played in a very narrow band width at low level, I just do not run rear speakers, normally.
Rick
Old 07-18-2010, 01:45 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
bein a bose car the rear speakers are mono to begin with so dont waste ur money on a high dollar speaker if u are using stock amp
YEP, YEP

with that said i have a pair of low cost, really low coaxials if you are interested
Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Rick
Not for nothing but while you "will be testing" at some point in the future JL has had a nice product for C6 verts out for years! With much R&D from a major player invested already. With JL you get a good product from a world wide respected company. You might pay a little more but for some of us, we want it now and done right. The C6 has been out for 5 years already. I look forward to see what you come up with down the road sometime and how much it will cost in relation.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vert rear speakers, what speakers to replace with?

Quick Reply: C6 vert rear speakers, what speakers to replace with?