Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Bose head unit installation Metra 70-2004 vs Metra XSVI-2004

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 AM
sflsurfer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Bose head unit installation Metra 70-2004 vs Metra XSVI-2004

Hey guys, I'm replacing my OEM head unit in my 99' C5 with a Pioneer DEH-P3100 and I'm confused at which wiring harness to get. I was told by one installer that all I would need is the Metra 70-2004 and he can set it up to work with my BOSE speakers. However, other installers told me that I need to get the Metra XSVI-2004 adapter in order for the door speakers to work properly. Does anyone know if the Metra 70-2004 would work as well as the XSVI-2004?? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

i wouldnt dick with the 70-2004 as an installer i have done it and spliced some wiring to get everyhthing working... just spend the money and get xsvi-2004 or even better pac roemvet1
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

You will need
the roem-vet1
http://www.doubledmods.com/C5-Corvet...-ROEM-VET1.htm
GM antenna adapter
http://www.doubledmods.com/1988-2010...dapter-gm6.htm
installation kit
http://www.doubledmods.com/Corvette-...-kit-BKGM4.htm
Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
sflsurfer
8th Gear

thanks for the help! I'll definitely go the roemvet1 route.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

OK, I've been waiting for Metra XSVI-2004 for some time now because all of the vendors I have contacted are back ordered. The Mfgr is waiting on circuit boards from Asia. I have been thinking of going with the roem-vet1, but several vendors say that you will lose your tweeters with this interface. I contacted Pac and they also said that was the case because the tweeters are powered by the radio. So my question to those of you who have used the roem-vet1 interface; have you noticed a loss of high frequency sound from you radio?

Phil
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM
sflsurfer
8th Gear

phil, I just installed that roem-vet1 and I think the highs sound fine even without the tweeters. However, I have noticed that my door speakers aren't kicking as hard as they were before. It might be a bad installation though. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 PM
JonLT4CE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed an Apline in my 98 and used the gmCRVII unit from Soundgate. All speakers work and sound better than the Bose HU.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 AM
sflsurfer
8th Gear

Thanks for the info Jon. I brought my car to Sound Blazers in Coral Springs, FL and they told me that my install was fine. They also said that the bose speakers are not going to sound as good with an aftermarket head unit combined with the factory speakers and amp even with the adapter. They then tried to sell me a new amp and speaker setup. Do you all think that they were trying to take me for a ride?

Last edited by sflsurfer; 08-25-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I just found an Axxess XSVI-2004, so I am going to go with that. Thanks for the help.

Phil
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by sflsurfer
Thanks for the info Jon. I brought my car to Sound Blazers in Coral Springs, FL and they told me that my install was fine. They also said that the bose speakers are not going to sound as good with an aftermarket head unit combined with the factory speakers and amp even with the adapter. They then tried to sell me a new amp and speaker setup. Do you all think that they were trying to take me for a ride?
yes they were... are the door subs even working
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM
sflsurfer
8th Gear

I honestly don't think so. It sounds loud like the highs and mids are working but I'm not getting as much bass as I did before. I don't know if I have a bad adapter or just a bad install.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by sflsurfer
I honestly don't think so. It sounds loud like the highs and mids are working but I'm not getting as much bass as I did before. I don't know if I have a bad adapter or just a bad install.
You have to VERY carefully adjust the POTs on the silver box (about 1/16th of a turn at once) to get the BASS to work. It took me three itterations from zero to 1/8th turn and then to about 1/5th turn for the front and 1/4 (total!) for the rear. Sounds great, better bass than stock and no noise/static/popping (which is what will happen if you hamfist the pots.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 AM
sflsurfer
8th Gear

okay, thanks for the info., I'll try to get around to it this week or next and post my results!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Gunny Highway
Racer

Originally Posted by jcgunn
You have to VERY carefully adjust the POTs on the silver box (about 1/16th of a turn at once) to get the BASS to work. It took me three itterations from zero to 1/8th turn and then to about 1/5th turn for the front and 1/4 (total!) for the rear. Sounds great, better bass than stock and no noise/static/popping (which is what will happen if you hamfist the pots.
What silver box? I too had the problem of losing what little bass I did have after going to an aftermarket stereo.

However, I can't at this time remember if I have an Axxess or Metra adapter.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 AM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
What silver box? I too had the problem of losing what little bass I did have after going to an aftermarket stereo.

However, I can't at this time remember if I have an Axxess or Metra adapter.
Okay,
The Metra adaptor has a black plastic box and a silver one. They are attached to two stock wire blocks. The silver box has four potentiometers (these look like screws) to adjust the BASS. Just find the silver box and tweek the screws a very little at a time, play your favorite ZZ Top tune (or something with a beat) and go from there. Cheers
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Gunny Highway
Racer

Originally Posted by jcgunn
Okay,
The Metra adaptor has a black plastic box and a silver one. They are attached to two stock wire blocks. The silver box has four potentiometers (these look like screws) to adjust the BASS. Just find the silver box and tweek the screws a very little at a time, play your favorite ZZ Top tune (or something with a beat) and go from there. Cheers
I have the Axxess one. It looks like this:

Old 12-26-2010, 12:06 AM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 184 Posts

Okay, I just added a Sony head unit using the Metra Axxess XSVI-2004 and have lost the RAP function - does not turn off when ignition is off and doors are opened. I will be on the phone with Crutchfield tomorrow. Documentation on the Metra unit is terrible - almost nothing.

Anyone dealt with this problem and found the solution?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:53 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K9Leader
Okay, I just added a Sony head unit using the Metra Axxess XSVI-2004 and have lost the RAP function - does not turn off when ignition is off and doors are opened. I will be on the phone with Crutchfield tomorrow. Documentation on the Metra unit is terrible - almost nothing.

Anyone dealt with this problem and found the solution?
If your H/U is video enabled you MUST hook up the light green wire (from the H/U) to the parking brake switch wire (tan/white).

The PIONEER unit requires a POSITIVE (tan/white) source from the parking brake, some H/U need a GROUND (don't know what color) from the parking brake. Weird and wacky stuff happens if you don't connect this IAW the H/U directions.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Bose head unit installation Metra 70-2004 vs Metra XSVI-2004

Quick Reply: C5 Bose head unit installation Metra 70-2004 vs Metra XSVI-2004