Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

pics and info on wiring a roem-vet1

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
Can you recommend a good crimper?
My favorite:

One habit I've picked up when using wire crimps... Twist the wires together like you're going to use a wire nut, then slide the crimp over the twisted pair and only crimp that end. The result is a direct connection of the wires and the crimp just holds them in place, instead of the crimp maintaining the electrical contact. Plus, if you ever decide to 'expand', you have built in connections just waiting to be used.

is the procedure on a C6 any different?
YES

Why can't the red wire on the PAC be used?
The red wire on the HU harness needs to have power applied to it when you want the radio to turn on. If the PAC doesn't have that output, no need to connect that wire to anything.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by markcz
My favorite:

One habit I've picked up when using wire crimps... Twist the wires together like you're going to use a wire nut, then slide the crimp over the twisted pair and only crimp that end. The result is a direct connection of the wires and the crimp just holds them in place, instead of the crimp maintaining the electrical contact. Plus, if you ever decide to 'expand', you have built in connections just waiting to be used.

YES

The red wire on the HU harness needs to have power applied to it when you want the radio to turn on. If the PAC doesn't have that output, no need to connect that wire to anything.

agreed 100% on the crimpers, i work in an industry that sees way more vibrations then a car does and everyone that works for me has the same crimpers
Old 05-14-2011, 01:51 AM
vetteman741
Burning Brakes

Location: Motorsports Capital of the World..Indianapolis Indiana
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question:

Does this white connector get used for anything on C5 factory HU replacement? Bose amp interface?

If not then does the OEM-1 box get used at all? I know what the RCA's and blue wire are for, but I am not adding an amp right now.

PAC directions suck, this thread really helps out.

BTW, I got my PAC harness from Dennis this week, fast delivery, very much appreciated.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
only other wire you will need to worry about is the dimmer wire
to connect the dimmer wire we spliced inth the hvac control harness.
The orange white wire from the radio harness was extended using a left over piece of green and then connected to the cream/yellow colored wire on the far right of the blue side on the hvac connector

I hope this helps everyone out.
If not you know I am always a phone call or email away form helping out as well.
Great write-up...... When I had my X920BT installed last year, the installer did not 1) tell me the dimmer wire was not hooked up and 2) when I took it back to tell him about it, he said there was no way to hook it up ...

Right now, I am turning the screen off at night due to the brightness but was wondering if the light sensor in the dash could be tapped to make the auto dimmer work?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:17 PM
SyTyJim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...need to bring this thread back up. I tried to do my install today and my new HU works great. Door and rear speakers work fine, My issue is with the aftermarket AMP I added.

I plugged the RCA wires into the RCA connection the end of the ROEM-VET1 harness with the blue wire. Connected the remote amp wire to the blue wire. Nothing.

Amp doesnt turn on. I tested for power and only get power at the amp on the blue wire when the ignition off.

Should I use the RCA connections at the back of my HU or use the ROEM-VET1 connections?

I probably have to pull all the amp wiring and re-do it....

Thanks!
Jimmy
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

connect rca and remote directly to HU
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
SyTyJim
Instructor

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Thanks! I'll try that when I get a chance. I actually wanted to do this project when it got cooler out..today was 80* and thats cool around here.

Thanks again and I'll post up when I get to it.

Jimmy
Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 PM
SyTyJim
Instructor

Originally Posted by pentavolvo

Thanks again for the tip. Also found that I had a bad ground and one of my RCA plugs on my amp was loose. Fixed it all and now sounds great!

Thanks again to this forum for its endless info!!

Jimmy
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
brianrandolph
6th Gear

Default 04 differences?

okay i just bought me a 04 vette about a month ago so i am new to this forum. i am going to be installing pioneer z130bt and already ordered the console from double d mods. i would just have a professional install it but i have spent all of my money on the head unit and buying my new car in the first place! it says on here that there is a difference in hooking up one wire in the 2004 models? anyone have pics of the wire that i am supposed to hook it up to instead? thanks! (oh also i did buy the same wiring harness as used in this tutorial, the roem-vet1)

Last edited by brianrandolph; 12-15-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by brianrandolph
it says on here that there is a difference in hooking up one wire in the 2004 models?
Where is here? I don't remember anything different about '04 for what you're doing.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Where is here? I don't remember anything different about '04 for what you're doing.
The difference is the extension of the red 12v wire to the passenger footwell
the 97-03 have three wires taped off in upper left corner
the 04 does not have these

so
on an o4 you simply add a mini fuse to the extension and plug it into fuse slot number 22 in the passenger footwell

I dont have a pic on file from an 04 as I have not had an 04 here in the shop to take one of. So maybe someone might have a pic for me of this.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM
brianrandolph
6th Gear

Default no pic?

no one has a pic of the power wire that i need to install? sorry for being ignorant i just don't want to mess up anything! thanks so much!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM
brianrandolph
6th Gear

Wow this looks a lot more difficult than I thought it would be now that I have it all in front of me! After following these instructions, I still have extra wires left over from the ROEM-VET1 that have no where to connect to on the wires coming out of my Pioneer Z130BT! Also I am unsure about some of the wires I already connected together if they are right or not! I could go ahead and hook it up to see what works and what doesn't but I definitely do not want to mess anything up!

So now, I am thinking I may be better off just getting a professional install. Any thoughts on what a fair price would be? I already have the wiring kit, antenna adapter, and brackets. I told my local radio place that I already have all of this and I still got quoted $160! All they really have to do is crimp a few wires together and screw it in! I would just pay it but I have already invested all of my savings on my down payment, paying taxes on the car, various repairs, and the double dash kit and pioneer head unit! What should I do? Thanks so much for all of your help!!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:34 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the blue/white to blue just for the Pioneer - or all wiring pinouts?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Also. Little to no bass. Is that odd?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:51 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by leafsfan2005
Is the blue/white to blue just for the Pioneer - or all wiring pinouts?
Originally Posted by leafsfan2005
Also. Little to no bass. Is that odd?
The HU 'remote amp' wire needs to be connected to the roem, regardless of HU brand, or the door subs won't power up.

If you have them powered properly, check out this thread for helpful info on adjusting the roem.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 AM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

The HU 'remote amp' wire needs to be connected to the roem, regardless of HU brand, or the door subs won't power up.

If you have them powered properly, check out this thread for helpful info on adjusting the roem.
Thanks Mark

Went back yesterday and triple checked my wiring.
Everything was connected properly.
Disconnected the Roem unit. No sound change.

Realized the "out" from PAC Roem was still on my desk inside. Found the little white flat connector that was tucked in the back of the dash. I felt dumb.

Now to try to make some clearance problems go away. AVX44 is deep.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To pics and info on wiring a roem-vet1

Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 PM
sparcnz
Instructor

Default ROEM-Vet1 -Further Information Requested

Great write up, and followed through without too many issues.
Just a coupe of things I need to confirm.

The red fly wire in the 18pin socket. Do I need to use this. In Dennis's write up he has the power going into the power for the radio only?
There is mention of the ground wire to the ROEM-Vet1, with the bypass wires (guessing these are the brake and radio ground)? Guessing this is then connected to a ground in the car?

For us here in NZ, I will be running the wire to the brake, as this is a requirement to pass yearly inspections,

Stupid question, maybe, why are the speaker wires joined as they are, and the white + and Grey + going through a blocking capacitor from between the ROEM-Vet1, the HU and the vet harness?

What are you meaning about the "By-pass"? I am not using a X920bt, it's a Android Car Stereo with the following wires.
Power, Ig, Grd, antenna, amp, illumi/dim, 4x sets of speaker wires.
Extra wires:
Brake-in; goes to the hand-brake to prevent video playback while driving.
Reverse-in; connects to the reverse of the gear-stick, to turn on the reversing camera.

At this stage I have intentions of adding a sub-amp, depending on how the stereo sounds, might not need it.

Sorry if this sound boring, I just want to do the job right first time. Nearly there.
Regards Kevin.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:00 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sparcnz
The red fly wire in the 18pin socket. Do I need to use this. In Dennis's write up he has the power going into the power for the radio only?
If you're asking about the red power wire on the HU harness, it needs to be connected to a switched power wire in the passenger footwell (C5 doesn't have switched power in the radio harness).

There is mention of the ground wire to the ROEM-Vet1, with the bypass wires (guessing these are the brake and radio ground)? Guessing this is then connected to a ground in the car?

For us here in NZ, I will be running the wire to the brake, as this is a requirement to pass yearly inspections,

What are you meaning about the "By-pass"? I am not using a X920bt, it's a Android Car Stereo

Extra wires:
Most new HU with Navigation or DVD playback have an interlock to prevent certain functions while the car is moving. The "Bypass" disables the interlock so you can do whatever you what whenever you want to do it. It is very convenient.

If you have an inspection that would verify the interlock works properly I would suggest to either wire it properly, or possibly wire in a hidden switch that you can turn on when it's time for an inspection

Stupid question, maybe, why are the speaker wires joined as they are, and the white + and Grey + going through a blocking capacitor from between the ROEM-Vet1, the HU and the vet harness?

it's a Android Car Stereo with the following wires.
Power, Ig, Grd, antenna, amp, illumi/dim, 4x sets of speaker wires.
Extra wires:
Reverse-in; connects to the reverse of the gear-stick, to turn on the reversing camera.
You need to connect the HU speaker output wires and black & yellow power wires to the same color wires on the ROEM.

HU blue/white trigger wire needs to be connected to ROEM blue wire.

HU red wire goes to switched wire in footwell.

HU orange dimmer wire goes to cream color wire on HVAC.

Ignore HU antenna wire and reverse wire (unless you put in a camera).

FYI:
In C5 the HU speaker output goes directly to the door speakers, except for the subs. The ROEM converts part of the speaker output into a line-level signal for the subs. The subs are self amplified, which is why the HU blue/white needs to be connected.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:58 PM
sparcnz
Instructor

Mark,

Thanks for the information, this was a great help.

One other question.
With the stock radio, when the car is turned off the radio will stay on for a set time, or when the door is opened.
Is there information on how this is done?
I would presume there is a control wire, fed to the radio that would control this, if so it would be nice to have this work with the new HU?

Regards Kevin.

Quick Reply: pics and info on wiring a roem-vet1