Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Still looking for alternatives for the best sound:)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Still looking for alternatives for the best sound:)

Since no DD NAV unit has a stellar DAC and output stage I am looking for alternatives to have a great SQ system and use such a HU. Only one NAV unit I know of for now has digital out, the JVC NT3 so I have one here for testing.

I bought a JBL MS-8 to play with, JBL will not help me so I have somebody looking into a digital input so I can skip the ADC section and run a digital out DD NAV HU. The unit is rather bulky and has onboard amps we do not need but I like the auto EQ, at least the idea for now.

I will also test the analog input from a stock HU, the JVC, etc to see what the results are but multiple stages of conversion are not really a good thing to do for sonic purity.

I have found digital signals in some stock HU that are usable, I will look at the factory ones when I can find some time.

---------------------

I might buy an Audison Bit One.1 as well, no autotune, more compact, at least I could find a really good tune and pass on the info.

---------------------

To save space and money I am looking at other alternatives, one using my favorite all time bang for the buck great sounding HU.

Eclipse 8053 , I have one apart, two of them actually, to try to get the digital input to turn on, I need to get a CD changer to find the right wire, signal, etc since I cannot find a schematic for it.

I can then use that for a processor, minus the transport and cables I can remove it becomes pretty compact and low in weight and they have great tuning and SQ. A cable ran from it to the controller would allow it to be stored in the console then just have to decide on how to control the output level. I might be able to tap a pot onto the face plate gain control but most likely not, probably goes through a chip of some sort but I will see what I can figure out.

---------------------------

For those wanting Ipods, etc.....unless you record at a very very high level none of this maters that much but I will do what I can to accommodate you.

I have very little time for this so progress is not expected to be very fast, I do what I can and eventually hope to have the best solutions for whatever level you want to go to

Rick
Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, something interesting to look at that was just announced at CES2011;
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/07/godap...cal-output-fo/
Old 01-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Tyteflows
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

i have the alpine imprint module installed in my car and it sounds cleaner than any stereo i have ever heard in my life, in any setting. im using hertz coaxials and boston g5 subs with alpine and jlaudio amps

linked is a somewhat dated (3 years ago) video, but explains the system vividly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=06W3ENxg6sM
Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 PM
jeremyjay46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... although Alpine falls short on some important features, its DAC is one of the best in the business.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just preorded the Alpine H800 due to be released in April, much improved over the H710 and far more user adjustable and better than the Imprint

I will take a look at that Iphone deal as well, seems very interesting!

I put the MS-8 up for sale and cancelled the Audison Bit One.1 I was going to order as well.

Thanks
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Still looking for alternatives for the best sound:)

Quick Reply: Still looking for alternatives for the best sound:)