Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Parrot Blutooth with Aftermarket Amp Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parrot Blutooth with Aftermarket Amp Question

Im planing out and rounding up parts for my audio upgrade. I currently have the Parrot Bluetooth wired in to the stock amp which works fine.

My question is I will be putting in the PAC ADD-GM24 adapter harness to get my 4 RCAs for the new amp as shown in this write up from the forum.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...r-harness.html

Should I tap my Parrot in off this harness (which would be pre amplifier) or tap it in to the door speakers which would be obviously post amp?

I will be running component speakers so if I do tap the door speakers should I just tap the 6.5 pre or post crossover?

As for the amp trigger cutout (when a call comes in), that should be easy Im assuming. Ill just put the Parrot relay cutout on the new amp trigger.

Thanks for the info. I know someone has done this before on here.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

anyone?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 AM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

headunit - parrot harness - gm add 24 harness
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 AM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Thanks pentavolvo,

So let me get this strait, when a call comes in the Parrot will kill the amp like usual and talk directly to the HU?

Im kinda confused though. If my amp is powering the speakers then how can the Parrot get through? Unless it powers the speakers instead of the amp. Sorry if Im not getting this, just a lil confused

I am using the configuration with the stock amp that is posted in the DIY on here. Am I wired in pre or post amp right now?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

the parrot will kill the sound from headunit and output through the amp. you want the parrot harness plugged in between radio and amp
Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
the parrot will kill the sound from headunit and output through the amp. you want the parrot harness plugged in between radio and amp
...which will probably require you to SPLICE the Parrot harness to the GM-24
Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcgunn
...which will probably require you to SPLICE the Parrot harness to the GM-24
Ok great, thats what im going to do.

Thanks Guys
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

do you have the plug and play harness for the parrot or not, i assume you had a plug and play parrot harness and were currently using it with the parrot plugged in between stock headunit and stock amp, if not then maybe it changes things
Old 02-25-2011, 12:49 AM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

I do not have the plug and play harness. I have it wired in to the amp though (tapped into front speaker wires) theres a write up on here about it.

Doesn't the parrot have its own amp inside? Could I just connect it to the front speakers? When the Parrot kills my amp, the Parrot will then just power the speakers??
Old 02-25-2011, 02:03 AM
kustomkaraudio
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assume you have a C6 by your signature. This might be a little easier wiring wise. You can simply use the mute wire on the parrot kit to a relay to kill the amp. Then take one channel of output and run it to the center speaker in the dash ( if you are still using the center speaker , wire up the switcher in and output. If your car had base audio and no speaker, you could pick up a inexpensive fullrange from a place like Parts Express. I have used this method in the past and the single speaker gets plenty loud for most people. Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

you know i thought about that, I was just wondering how loud it was. If you say its plenty loud I might just have to try that out.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Assuming you used these instructions, it shouldn't be hard to switch to an external amp, especially if you use the center speaker for the parrot output.

Either remove the relay from the "antenna enable" wire, or just buy another one and install it between the B3 pin of the Add-GM24 and your new amp's trigger terminal.

Wire one of the parrot speaker outputs directly to the center speaker. It would be a good idea to disconnect the stock wires from that speaker also. If you want/need both speakers, take one of your 3.5" door speakers and wire it to the other parrot output, then shove it under the dash somewhere. Above the passengers feet has a lot of room.

If you don't want to use the center speaker, I'd just connect the parrot wires to the wires going to the larger door speaker between the crossover and the speaker (just like they are now with oen wires), only you can 'properly' connect them at terminals this time (instead of using splice taps).

Whatever you do, I'd probably start by installing the new amp/speakers first, get them working, then add the parrot. That way if you have a problem you'll have a better idea where to find it.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markcz
Assuming you used these instructions, it shouldn't be hard to switch to an external amp, especially if you use the center speaker for the parrot output.

Either remove the relay from the "antenna enable" wire, or just buy another one and install it between the B3 pin of the Add-GM24 and your new amp's trigger terminal.

Wire one of the parrot speaker outputs directly to the center speaker. It would be a good idea to disconnect the stock wires from that speaker also. If you want/need both speakers, take one of your 3.5" door speakers and wire it to the other parrot output, then shove it under the dash somewhere. Above the passengers feet has a lot of room.

If you don't want to use the center speaker, I'd just connect the parrot wires to the wires going to the larger door speaker between the crossover and the speaker (just like they are now with oen wires), only you can 'properly' connect them at terminals this time (instead of using splice taps).

Whatever you do, I'd probably start by installing the new amp/speakers first, get them working, then add the parrot. That way if you have a problem you'll have a better idea where to find it.
Great, thanks for the info. Thats the write up I used. Im wondering which one would be louder. The center channel only, one door, or two doors?? I have some Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's in the doors. Will the Parrot push em?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:50 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

It shouldn't have a problem with your door speakers if you connect the parrot outputs at the woofer screw terminals on the crossover, but if it were my car I think I'd try the center speaker first.

If you really want to get crazy.... You can use the relay to trigger your new amp when listening to radio, then have it switch over to trigger oem amp when on phone. Connect the parrot speaker level outputs to a line-level converter which you then connect to the line-level inputs of the oem amp (splice Add-GM24 wires). At the outlet of the amp make sure only the center speaker is connected (if all other oem speakers are removed, consider it done). That would sure be loud enough
Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Thanks markcz, I really apreciate the advice.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 AM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Did what you guys said, hooked it up to the center channel, tapped in at the stock amp plug. Removed the stock amp and put the parrot in its place, worked like a charm.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Parrot Blutooth with Aftermarket Amp Question

Quick Reply: Parrot Blutooth with Aftermarket Amp Question