Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Radio Works but No Sound

Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 AM
srtrich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radio Works but No Sound

Hello everyone,

I recently had my car at the body shop and now that i have picked the car up the radio does not give sound from any speaker. I got the car repainted so nothing should have been touched radio wise. I have tried checking fuses and they all look good. Today i pulled the doors apart and wiring was good there also. (doors speaker were the only thing they said they touched) radio did work fine but now just the nav display works with no sound coming from any speaker. I have not done the update for the nav (i own a 2005 C6) but car radio always worked good. Any idea of what i should be checking? I will be pulling the radio out soon to check the wiring but i dont think that is the issue.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by srtrich
Hello everyone,

I recently had my car at the body shop and now that i have picked the car up the radio does not give sound from any speaker. I got the car repainted so nothing should have been touched radio wise. I have tried checking fuses and they all look good. Today i pulled the doors apart and wiring was good there also. (doors speaker were the only thing they said they touched) radio did work fine but now just the nav display works with no sound coming from any speaker. I have not done the update for the nav (i own a 2005 C6) but car radio always worked good. Any idea of what i should be checking? I will be pulling the radio out soon to check the wiring but i dont think that is the issue.

More details, is it the OEM or aftermarket radio. If aftermarket do you have a PAC interface? If so you may need to add the additional relay. Let us know the details.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM
srtrich
Instructor

oem nav radio. bose sound system 2005.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Check fuse 31 under the hood.

If that's not it you'll have to do some cheking with a meter. C6 schematics are HERE
Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 PM
srtrich
Instructor

fuse was still good. you think it cold be the wiring in the barck of the car radio? as for the C6 schematics.... i dont have a clue about how to read that stuff.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Double check the fuse, that's by far the most likely problem. Take it out and put in one of the spares just to be sure.

Fuse 31 supplies power to the amp, then the radio supplies a trigger that turns the amp on. Your amp is either not getting power (most likely), has a loose ground wire (possible, but it shares a ground with the radio), something is simply unplugged (probably at the amp, next to the passenger floor fuse box), or the radio stopped sending the trigger (not likely).

If you know someone with a digital multimeter and knowledge of electrical schematics you can probably figure it out in a hour or so.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:52 PM
srtrich
Instructor

i swapped the fuse and still nothing. i dont get why the radio worked going into the body shop and now no longer works.... i have a digital multimeter but no knowledge of electrical schematics... 1 out of 2 aint bad right lol im gonna pull the radio but its probably not gonna do anything.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Before you pull the radio out, check a few things on the amp. It's much easier to get at in the passenger footwell.

Using the shape and color descriptions from these pages, find plug C1 on the amp (shape is in the pic on the pinout, and the (GY) in the text under the pic indicates it's a Gray plug). Use the meter to see if you have +12vdc with the red lead at the pin with the red/black wire and the black lead at the pin with the black/white wire (pin numbers are listed, but you need to get the right RPO code in the print).

If you don't have 12v on those two pins, you need to figure out which one is bad. Try putting the black meter lead on a ground somewhere else in the car (like a seat bolt) and keep the red lead on the pin in C1, if you get 12v then the ground connection is bad. If that doesn't work keep the black lead on C1 and find another source for +12v (battery is good, or you can carefully touch the cigarette lighter contacts), if you get 12v here, then the supply is bad somewhere).

If you have good voltage and ground at the amp, next thing to check is the trigger signal. Plug C1 back into the amp, find and disconnect C2, then turn on the radio and check for +12vdc at the pin with the white wire for circuit 1487. You'll need to find a ground for the black lead.

If you have power and a good trigger the amp itself may have gone bad or the radio may not be putting out and sounds, but I'm betting on a power issue.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 AM
srtrich
Instructor

update: i will be doing this on sunday.... im sick of no music
Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 PM
srtrich
Instructor

Ok so power to the amp is good and so is the signal. I was getting a reading of 11 to 12 volts in the car. When I plunged c1 back into the car all the speakers made a thump like they were getting power.

What should I check now? Back of the radio? Your instructions made this super easy. Like 15 min lol
Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
srtrich
Instructor

Another update I swaped a radio with my friends and still no sound. I'm thinking the amp is fried but want to double check. Anyone in nj want to help me out by testing there amp in my car?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Do you get any chimes or warning beeps?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 AM
srtrich
Instructor

No I don't get any chimes or beeps.... been kind of quiet lol except for the sound of the motor.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

It almost has to be the amp, but before spending any money I'd verify the constant +12v, ground, and switched +12v at the amp plugs (see link above to see which pins to check).
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by markcz
It almost has to be the amp, but before spending any money I'd verify the constant +12v, ground, and switched +12v at the amp plugs (see link above to see which pins to check).
doesnt the headunit generate the chimes??? Either way I bet you could find a used amp for cheap or free on teh forum
Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
srtrich
Instructor

I just want to test out an amp on my car to see if that's it. I tested all signal, ground, power and they are good. Had a friend let me borrow his stock radio and still had no sound
Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
doesnt the headunit generate the chimes???
They are generated by the HU, but played thru the amp and speakers

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Works but No Sound

Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
srtrich
Instructor

Ok I found the issue.... I decided to open up my amp to look at the board and that thing is fried.

Next question is anyone out there have a bose amp for sell or can lead me in the correct direction? Or can I upgrade the amp?

Thanks to everyone that has helped. Def could not do it without ur help!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

not easy to upgrade but i woudl go to c6 for sale/wanted and post that you are looking to pick up am oem amp for your c6. make sure u specify if its bose or not... shouldnt be too costly
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 PM
mochi
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there i have a 2005 bose radio unit no NAV. with no chime and no sound. what should i have at the trigger wire when the radio is turned on?

I been looking around and seem to be a radio head unit issue but im not sure. is there a good test for me to do?

Last edited by mochi; 07-20-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio Works but No Sound