Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Issues with OnStar, Z130BT and PAC OS2Bose

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 563 Likes on 322 Posts

Default Issues with OnStar, Z130BT and PAC OS2Bose

I am having an issue I hope someone here has encountered and resolved.

I have an 08 Coupe and I just installed a Pioneer Z130BT. I am retaining the Bose AMP/Speakers. Dennis at Double D did the prewire of the PAC OS2BOSE and harnesses. I completed the in-motion bypass and the final integration of the wires for an Axxess steering wheel control interface. As indicated by PAC I cut the Brown looped wire at pin 16 and attached it to the radio's Mute wire.

With the radio on I press an ONStar button and the radio mutes and I hear the OnStar prompts. Within a second the rear speakers kick back in and I must manually lower the volume to get them out of the way. Also, the radio nor steering wheel volume controls have any effect on OnStar.

With the radio off I don't have any speaker issues, but I also have no volume control.

Has anyone run into this issue? HELP!

Last edited by miami08VETTE; 04-10-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:48 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

radio and steering wheel controls will not effect onstar volume they must be adjusted from the module before buttoning up the dash

if its not staying muted it sounds like an issue with your wiring
Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
radio and steering wheel controls will not effect onstar volume they must be adjusted from the module before buttoning up the dash

if its not staying muted it sounds like an issue with your wiring
Ok. Well that explains the onstar volume issue. I emailed Dennis at double d about the mute issues since he did all the prewire.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

so after onstar kicks on does the radio show mute or att on the screen?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
so after onstar kicks on does the radio show mute or att on the screen?
Other than a click and a very slight flicker of the screen there are no indicators of the mute state of any kind.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

then when you cut the loop and hooked up the mute wire maybe you connected it to the wrong wire
Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I didnt connect the mute wire as its needed for the bypass on the 130

i know pioneer has an issue right now with the steering wheel controls and volume.
They are working on a new software upgrade for this.

if you did connect the mute wire did you connect to pin 16 i think it is off the top of my head

if not reconnect the brown loop wire and try it

Last edited by Double D Mods; 04-10-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
I didnt connect the mute wire as its needed for the bypass on the 130

i know pioneer has an issue right now with the steering wheel controls and volume.
They are working on a new software upgrade for this.

if you did connect the mute wire did you connect to pin 16 i think it is off the top of my head

if not reconnect the brown loop wire and try it
The PAC website says to cut the brown wire at pin 16 and connect to mute wire from radio. So it ends up being the brown wire coming out of pin 18 goes to the radio mute wire as I understood the diagram and instructions. That is what I did. So now the door and center speakers are muted when OnStar is pressed but the rear speakers kick right back on within a second or so.

As for the Pioneer issues with steering wheel controls, the Axxess interface is working 100%. All buttons active and working as intended.

Last edited by miami08VETTE; 04-10-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE
The PAC website says to cut the brown wire at pin 16 and connect to mute wire from radio. So it ends up being the brown wire coming out of pin 18 goes to the radio mute wire as I understood the diagram and instructions. That is what I did. So now the door and center speakers are muted when OnStar is pressed but the rear speakers kick right back on within a second or so.

As for the Pioneer issues with steering wheel controls, the Axxess interface is working 100%. All buttons active and working as intended.

what did you do for the bypass then if you connected the mute wire?
the mute wire gets moved for the bypass so you can not connect it to the pac harness

yellow black mute light green and black ground go to black ground on pac

just leave the brown mute looped and this should take care of it

if you connected the yellow black mute wire to the pac then thats the problem as we moved the wire for the bypass
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

On my 08 setup Pioneer Z120, granted with out Bose and with a external amp so it's a little different. I cut the brown mute wire but since I did the motion bypass using the mute pin I could not hook the brown with to anything so I left it unconnected, but cut, and it work's fine. But, what I did was to unconnect the center speaker and not use it as part of the stero its only use is for onstar. I unconnected the connector to the center speaker and soldered two wires to the speaker and then connected them to the output from the HU and I love the sound and ON Star works great. I don't believe the center speaker offer's much to the sound of the set up in fact it makes the balance and fade hard to setup. You may want to think about this for your set up.

Dennis helped me to work this out and the PAC instructions actually tell you to use this set up if you are hooking up an external amp.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

what did you do for the bypass then if you connected the mute wire?
the mute wire gets moved for the bypass so you can not connect it to the pac harness

yellow black mute light green and black ground go to black ground on pac

just leave the brown mute looped and this should take care of it

if you connected the yellow black mute wire to the pac then thats the problem as we moved the wire for the bypass
I used an in-line tap connector to attach the brown wire to the radios mute wire. From what you mention here that shouldn't work, although it does mute everything except the rear speakers. That is what is confusing me because it partially works which I can't explain.

When I leave the wire looped it does a full shutdown of the radio followed by a reboot when OnStar session is over. I really didnt like that functionality.

It sounds like I have to choose between the bypass or having a properly functioning mute feature?

Last edited by miami08VETTE; 04-11-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I used an in-line tap connector to attach the brown wire to the radios mute wire. From what you mention here that shouldn't work, although it does mute everything except the rear speakers. That is what is confusing me because it partially works which I can't explain.

When I leave the wire looped it does a full shutdown of the radio followed by a reboot when OnStar session is over. I really didnt like that functionality.

It sounds like I have to choose between the bypass or having a properly functioning mute feature?

just reconnect the brown looped wire and you will be fine

problem is we moved the pin over for the mute wire as well so its not in same place to allow it to mute
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

just reconnect the brown looped wire and you will be fine

problem is we moved the pin over for the mute wire as well so its not in same place to allow it to mute
Dennis the issue when the brown wire is looped is that it does not mute the radio. It shuts it down. When I am done with OnStar it has to reboot complete with having to hit the "ok" button at startup.

Any idea why it is doing a partial mute in the config I currently have (decribed in my last post)?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Dennis the issue when the brown wire is looped is that it does not mute the radio. It shuts it down. When I am done with OnStar it has to reboot complete with having to hit the "ok" button at startup.

Any idea why it is doing a partial mute in the config I currently have (decribed in my last post)?

This sounds like something for Pioneer tech support i am thinking
only issue is when you talk to them you can not mention the bypass or they will not help you
trust me on that one as I have called before.

The pac harness we have in past never cut the looped wire and it works fine

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:40 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

re the rears not muting with everything else, sounds like an issue for Pioneer to figure out

re the bypass vs mute, is it possible to do both? Connect the mute wire in the normal location, then connect a different wire to the 'new' location that does the bypass. Just a thought.

If it comes down to not muting the rears vs shutting down unit, how many calls do you take in your car? I think I'd go for the shut down option, my 920 reboots in under 5 seconds and if you're on a music screen you won't have to hit OK until you switch over to nav.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by markcz
re the rears not muting with everything else, sounds like an issue for Pioneer to figure out

re the bypass vs mute, is it possible to do both? Connect the mute wire in the normal location, then connect a different wire to the 'new' location that does the bypass. Just a thought.

If it comes down to not muting the rears vs shutting down unit, how many calls do you take in your car? I think I'd go for the shut down option, my 920 reboots in under 5 seconds and if you're on a music screen you won't have to hit OK until you switch over to nav.
Interesting. I wonder if that would work?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

This sounds like something for Pioneer tech support i am thinking
only issue is when you talk to them you can not mention the bypass or they will not help you
trust me on that one as I have called before.

The pac harness we have in past never cut the looped wire and it works fine

anyone else have any ideas?
Originally Posted by markcz

re the bypass vs mute, is it possible to do both? Connect the mute wire in the normal location, then connect a different wire to the 'new' location that does the bypass. Just a thought..

This is exactly what I was going to but when doing this I discovered that cutting the brown wire was all I needed to do.

[/QUOTE]If it comes down to not muting the rears vs shutting down unit, how many calls do you take in your car? I think I'd go for the shut down option, my 920 reboots in under 5 seconds and if you're on a music screen you won't have to hit OK until you switch over to nav.[/QUOTE]

On my Z120 we went thru this same issue, mine works by shutting down and restart after a onstar call

I have the bypass installed by moving over the pin in the connector
My brown mute wire is cut but not hooked to anything

I know I have a amp and speakers but I had the same issue, cut the brown wire and see if makes a difference.

Not sure about only the rears when mine was on a onstar call all the speakers we on.

Last edited by okie08vette; 04-11-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with OnStar, Z130BT and PAC OS2Bose

Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by okie08vette
This is exactly what I was going to but when doing this I discovered that cutting the brown wire was all I needed to do.
If it comes down to not muting the rears vs shutting down unit, how many calls do you take in your car? I think I'd go for the shut down option, my 920 reboots in under 5 seconds and if you're on a music screen you won't have to hit OK until you switch over to nav.[/quote]

On my Z120 we went thru this same issue, mine works by shutting down and restart after a onstar call

I know I have a amp and speakers but I had the same issue, cut the brown wire and see if makes a difference.

Not sure about only the rears when mine was on a onstar call all the speakers we on.[/quote]

Some good suggestions. For now I will leave it as is. I have everything put back together and I don't want to tear it up for round 3. At least not for now. Everything else works so I will just lower the volume on the rears when I need to use OnStar phone.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Not sure about only the rears when mine was on a onstar call all the speakers we on.[/quote]

Some good suggestions. For now I will leave it as is. I have everything put back together and I don't want to tear it up for round 3. At least not for now. Everything else works so I will just lower the volume on the rears when I need to use OnStar phone.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Enjoy I love the tunes up.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

I'm a little confused on the bypass stuff. I have a AVIC 110 that has been upgraded to 120 and now to 130, and the original bypass no longer works. Can someone provide direction as to my steps to rectify this?

Thanks, Clint

Quick Reply: Issues with OnStar, Z130BT and PAC OS2Bose