Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help Me Please - PAC OS-2 Bose and SWI - PS Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Tommy1170
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Please - PAC OS-2 Bose and SWI - PS Wiring Question

Folks -

First off let me say a huge THANK YOU in advance for the help here. I just purchased a new Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Head Unit from Dennis over at Double-D Mods (he was GREAT). I am planning to install the unit in my '09 C6 Coupe tomorrow and am splicing all the wiring harnesses tonight. Here is what I have:

PAC OS-2BOSE Radio Interface Module (with Chime Module)
PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheels Control Module
Pioneer HU Wiring Harness

I have two questions I cannot figure out.

1 - From which wires connect between the PAC and Pioneer Harness for the Amp Trigger. There are (2) wires from the PAC harness in play here. The first is the PIN 4 Blue Wire, labelled "Antenna", then there is the PIN2 Blue Wire with White Stripe, labelled "Am Trigger". On the Pioneer Power Harness, there is a Blue Wire labelled "System Remote". So I know there needs to be a connection between the PAC harness and the Pioneer Harness, then a connection between the amp trigger wire connected to my amp, an Alpine PDX-5, and the amp trigger wire from either the PAC harness, or the Pioneeer HU. I think the correct wiring is to wire the Blue PIN4 wire from the PAC to the Blue/White Stripe wire from the Pioneer HU harness, then wire the Blue/White Stripe wire from the PAC harness to the trigger wire connected to the PDX-5 amp. Can someone verify this for me or correct me? I really need to get this right!

2 - On the PAC SWI-PS, I correctly wired the switched power and ground wires so I am good there. Upon reviewing the VERY confusing instructions (at least to me ;-), it appears that I need to connect the GREEN wire from the PAC SWI-PS to the "Vehicle SWC Wire". I have NO IDEA where that wire is. The instructions refer to a confusing Vehicle Application Guide that seems to indicate that I need to connec the green wire to the "PIN #A7" on the "GM24 Interface Connector". Also, to confuse matters even more, there is an "Additional Notes" section that states I should also "Connect PIN #A6 (purple) to accessory +12v). The problem here is I am not sure which harness they are referring to. The PIN numbers and wiring colors do not seem to match those on the PAC OS-2BOSE connectors (I checked them all I think), so I am totally confused. Does anyone know which wire I need to connect the GREEN wire from the PAC SWI-PS to? Also, do I really need to find the wire from the notes (purple) and connect it to switched power? There are absolutely no pictures or diagrams in the PAC SWI-PS package so I am stumped.

PLEASE HELP ME! Thanks again in advance! Tommy
Old 04-29-2011, 12:44 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

All pin positions I refer to are for the big oem plug that the PAC connects to, click on the C1 pinout link HERE to see the oem wire colors.

Radio to amp:
The "amp trigger" wire from the radio needs to be connected to the "remote" terminal on the PDX.

Radio to PAC:
Nothing is REQUIRED, but in order to power up the antenna module in your coupe (for best FM reception).... If you are still using any of the oem speaker setup (I doubt it if you have a PDX-5), then also connect the radios "amp trigger" to the PAC wire at position B3 (lines up with white wire in oem harness). If you are replacing ALL of the speakers, you can use the radios "antenna" wire at PAC pin B3 (will power antenna module only when listening to radio).

SWI:
The PAC harness may not have any wires in the two locations you need to connect to. Just FYI, any orange wires in the PAC are useless in C6, you can move them to the needed pins if you can get them out.

You need to connect +12v at pin A6 of the oem harness (purple wire in the GM plug). It doesn't really matter if you use constant or switched power.

The 'input wire' on the SWI (possibly your mystery green wire) needs to be connected to pin A7 (dark blue in the GM plug).

How it works... A6 supplies voltage to the buttons (normally comes from oem radio), which then send their signal out thru A7 (normally connected to oem radio), the SWI interprets what you push, and (after properly programmed) converts the info into something the radio uses.

If there aren't any wires there, or if you can't move the PAC wires to A6 & A7, then you'll need to splice into the oem harness behind the big plug. I normally use taps like this to splice in the connections (you can get them at any Radio Shack or at Wal-Mart in the automotive stereo section).

INSTALL TIPS:
Before you put the dash back together, fire up the radio and test ALL of the steering wheel buttons on EVERY input (ipod, sat radio, am/fm....). Some of the buttons work the same on all inputs, some don't. You may need/want to reprogram them. I use the original volume buttons as volume (duh), the up is 'track up', the down is 'preset up', and my 1-6 button is 'mute'. If you have the BT buttons on the left side of your wheel then you can program 7 radio functions instead of just 5, but they can't be used as BT any more.

You can connect the 'dimmer' wire from the radio to the gray wire at the TC/AH button behind the shifter (there isn't a dimmer circuit in the C1 plug).
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Tommy1170
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markcz
All pin positions I refer to are for the big oem plug that the PAC connects to, click on the C1 pinout link HERE to see the oem wire colors.

Radio to amp:
The "amp trigger" wire from the radio needs to be connected to the "remote" terminal on the PDX.

Radio to PAC:
Nothing is REQUIRED, but in order to power up the antenna module in your coupe (for best FM reception).... If you are still using any of the oem speaker setup (I doubt it if you have a PDX-5), then also connect the radios "amp trigger" to the PAC wire at position B3 (lines up with white wire in oem harness). If you are replacing ALL of the speakers, you can use the radios "antenna" wire at PAC pin B3 (will power antenna module only when listening to radio).

SWI:
The PAC harness may not have any wires in the two locations you need to connect to. Just FYI, any orange wires in the PAC are useless in C6, you can move them to the needed pins if you can get them out.

You need to connect +12v at pin A6 of the oem harness (purple wire in the GM plug). It doesn't really matter if you use constant or switched power.

The 'input wire' on the SWI (possibly your mystery green wire) needs to be connected to pin A7 (dark blue in the GM plug).

How it works... A6 supplies voltage to the buttons (normally comes from oem radio), which then send their signal out thru A7 (normally connected to oem radio), the SWI interprets what you push, and (after properly programmed) converts the info into something the radio uses.

If there aren't any wires there, or if you can't move the PAC wires to A6 & A7, then you'll need to splice into the oem harness behind the big plug. I normally use taps like this to splice in the connections (you can get them at any Radio Shack or at Wal-Mart in the automotive stereo section).

INSTALL TIPS:
Before you put the dash back together, fire up the radio and test ALL of the steering wheel buttons on EVERY input (ipod, sat radio, am/fm....). Some of the buttons work the same on all inputs, some don't. You may need/want to reprogram them. I use the original volume buttons as volume (duh), the up is 'track up', the down is 'preset up', and my 1-6 button is 'mute'. If you have the BT buttons on the left side of your wheel then you can program 7 radio functions instead of just 5, but they can't be used as BT any more.

You can connect the 'dimmer' wire from the radio to the gray wire at the TC/AH button behind the shifter (there isn't a dimmer circuit in the C1 plug).
Markcz - HOLY SMOKES! What an incredible reply. Wow - thank you for your time and such a thorough review. I get the SWI-PS connection now. The wires are on the Corvette wiring harness that the PAC plugs into. Got it! Explains why I couldn't map the directions to the PAC module itself. No problem there.

Regarding the amp trigger wires, I am still a bit confused. So as you correctly assumed, I ditched ALL of the stock speakers. Currently, I have Boston Acoustic components in the doors and BA Coaxials in the rear side panels and a JL sub in the back. The Alpine PDX-5 powers everything. So to be clear, from the Pioneer AVIC-X930BT HU, there is only ONE wire that appears to be related to the amp trigger. Its the blue wire with a white stripe and it is labelled "system remote" on the wire itself. Interestingly (read: confusingly), in the owner's manual, it has the following description in the diagram - "to auto-antenna relay control terminal. If the vehicle has a glass antenna, connect to the antenna booster power control terminal (max 300 mA 12V DC)". On the PAC OS-2BOSE module, there are TWO wires in play, as outlined in my original post. One is BLUE and labelled "Antenna" and the other is Blue w/White Stripe and is labelled "Amp Trigger".

If I read your post correctly, I should connect splice the "System Remote" wire from the Pioneer HU to the trigger wire on the PDX-5 AND the Blue Antenna wire on the PAC OS-2BOSE. It appears I should not connect and simply tape off the Blue w/White Stripe labelled "Amp Remote" on the PAC OS-2BOSE. Did I get this right?

Last question is regarding the dimmer wire. On the Pioneer HU wiring harness, there is an ORANGE wire w/White Stripe labelled "to Lighting Switch Terminal" in the Owners Manual. I spliced this wire to the ORANGE wire on the PAC OS-2BOSE harness (18 pin) labelled "Illumination". Did I understand your post correctly in that I should NOT connect these two wires together, and that instead, I should connect the orange dimmer wire from the HU to the GRAY wire at the TC/AH button instead?

Sorry for all the questions/clarifications but I cannot tell you how impressed and grateful I am for the support. It is incredible that so many knowledgable people invest their time here simply to help others. Thank goodness I bought a Corvette!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The orange wires in the PAC don't work for the dimmer because the C6 doesn't have a dimmer circuit in the harness that the PAC connects to, you must connect the orange/white radio wire dircetly to the TC/AH button gray wire.

The C6 antenna module is normally powered up by the same wire that triggers the oem amp, which is in pin B3 of the original harness. You need to connect something that has switched +12v from the radio to that wire. You can use the same wire that you connect to the PDX trigger, or you can use the radio wire labeled as 'antenna control'. I honestly don't know which PAC wire color that is, but I do know that it must line up with pin B3 of the plug you connect the PAC to in the car.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Tommy1170
Intermediate

Ok. One last question... Which gray wire at the TC/AH switch? On the '09 there are three wires - a BLACK wire, a Dark gray wire with a WHITE stripe and a LIGHT. Gray wire with a BLACK stripe. Any guidance on which gray wire?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Light Gray with BLACK stripe
Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default My 2 Cents

I just want to chime in here and say what a great forum this is and espically thanks to Markcz, your response's are great and helped me when I was doing my install and the OP of this thread. I wanted to respond this morning but was not exactly sure of all the wiring details espically with the steering wheel, as I don't have that option, just want to say thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

No problem

When I get home from work I usually surf the net for a few minutes to relax, and I almost always end up here (but only in the audio section, if I wander into C6 Gen I'll have to go to work to unwind from surfing the net).
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Tommy1170
Intermediate

Markcz

You are the BEST! Thanks for all your help. The install went flawlessly the first time out. What a tremendous help! Thanks again for being so responsive

Tommy
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm still a bit confused on the "blue" wire situation. I have the stock system still in place, but with an Alpine amp and a Pioneer x930bt. The blue remote power from the amp gets connected to the blue/white wire and the antenna wire from the car harness? All 3 get crimped together? What if I just wore the amp remote power directly into the fuse box?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I have the stock system still in place, but with an Alpine amp and a Pioneer x930bt.
huh

The blue or blue/white wire from the 930 that's labeled "remote" is the trigger that will turn on whatever amps you have installed (do not use the one labeled "antenna"). Connect that wire to the remote terminal on the amp AND pin B3 of the oem radio harness.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:22 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

You mentioned in an earlier post that the B3 wire is white from the oem radio harness, but according to the link you provided, B3 is black and A3 is white.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

It says A3 is the anenna wire, B3 is the drain.

This is what I get for having my installer flake out on me, and I end up wiring the the equivelant of a NASA rocket. I'm a noob at this stuff, thanks for the help.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Post the link you're using that shows B3 as black.

In C6, the white wire at B3 of the big plug is the one you need to connect the new radio's 'remote trigger' wire to if you want the stock speakers to put out any music.

C6 schematics are HERE, look at C1 plug pinouts.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
bama08vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i hate to bring this back from the dead, but if you connect the Illumination wire to the AH/TC, does the Nav stay dim, or does it automatically go from bright to dim when to headlights are on?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The headlights don't control it, the dimming circuit does. They're two different systems that operate independantly of each other, but the majority of times they will act together.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 PM
bama08vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The headlights don't control it, the dimming circuit does. They're two different systems that operate independantly of each other, but the majority of times they will act together.
thanks, i`ll give it a try this weekend. For the time being we installed a toggle switch, so i can control the day and night on the nav. If i can just tap gray/black wire to do the same , thats perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Me Please - PAC OS-2 Bose and SWI - PS Wiring Question

Old 04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

huh

The blue or blue/white wire from the 930 that's labeled "remote" is the trigger that will turn on whatever amps you have installed (do not use the one labeled "antenna"). Connect that wire to the remote terminal on the amp AND pin B3 of the oem radio harness.
So the Amp Turn on, Antenna ("B3") are wired to the same connector on the HU (the Blue "Remote" wire).

Then I need to "cut off" and ignore the "orange" wire on the PAC and run my own illumination?

The Corvette is the most F'd up wiring system ever. I'm guessing the PAC is basically for Chimes and integrating OnStar sounds and that's it. Everything else (Ignition, Illumination, Reverse, VSS, Park Brake are all independent leads.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

So the Amp Turn on, Antenna ("B3") are wired to the same connector on the HU (the Blue "Remote" wire).
correct

Then I need to "cut off" and ignore the "orange" wire on the PAC and run my own illumination?
yes, ignore the orange on pac, connect HU illum wire to gray wire with black stripe at TC/AH button

The Corvette is the most F'd up wiring system ever.
It's not THAT bad

I'm guessing the PAC is basically for Chimes and integrating OnStar sounds and that's it.
Pretty much, yeah. It also connects HU sound outputs to oem amp.

Everything else (Ignition, Illumination, Reverse, VSS, Park Brake are all independent leads.
check out the link below for great DIY instructions for everything except the steering wheel controls

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...a-2005-c6.html

Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Marckcz for President!

Thanks for the support to all forum members and old "gurus" like me too.
T

Quick Reply: Help Me Please - PAC OS-2 Bose and SWI - PS Wiring Question