Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 speaker buzz

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C5 speaker buzz

I have a stock C5 vert with very low miles and a few months ago the driver's side speaker started to make a very annoying buzzing sound. I imagined it was a split in the speaker surround or a hole in the speaker material. Yesterday I decided that I would take the door panel off and investigate. I removed the bass speaker and examined it and found nothing wrong (visually) and reinstalled it. I powered up the stereo and low and behold the noise was gone. I cranked up the volume and no buzz. I also examined the metal grill on the door panel and it seemed loose. So, I pushed the tabs down tight and thought that buzz might have come from a loose tab or loose grill. Feeling really good about "fixing" the issue, I smugly reassembled the door panel and went for a test drive with the top down and my favorite CD. Crap! The buzz was still there. Any ideas? Anyone had similar finding? Is it possible that the speaker is bad and it just doesn't make the noise when the door panel if off? I am going to remove the panel again today but thought I would throw this out to the forum for ideas. Many thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bose emblem loose?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Black04Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it do it with certain songs with lots of bass?

I have the same problem but on the passenger side and I don't have buzzing when the actual door panel is off so mine is related with the actual door panel.

I think I know what my issue is. Two of the door panel pins on mine broke while installing an aftermarket 3.5" speaker. I ordered a dozen of them for future use.

Does yours vibrate or buzz when you have the door panel off? Find a song that it buzzes with and try it with the door panel off.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black04Z06
Does it do it with certain songs with lots of bass?

I have the same problem but on the passenger side and I don't have buzzing when the actual door panel is off so mine is related with the actual door panel.

I think I know what my issue is. Two of the door panel pins on mine broke while installing an aftermarket 3.5" speaker. I ordered a dozen of them for future use.

Does yours vibrate or buzz when you have the door panel off? Find a song that it buzzes with and try it with the door panel off.
Thanks for the reply Black04Zo6 but no it does not buzz with the door panel off and that is what is so perplexing. I do not believe that the Bose emblem is buzzing as it seems tight when I try to move it. Sound waves are funny thing for sure as sympathetic resonance can be very difficult to find. I have looked at the inner door and can see nothing that could vibrate. I did think that the screen might be loose but after tightening all of the tabs I do not believe that is the issue either.
With the door panel off the bass is tight and does not create any buzzing sound so it almost has to be in the panel or door. Was thinking of making an isolation gasket between the speaker and the door panel but not sure if that would do anything. Thanks for the thoughts. I will keep trying to find something.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

bose emblem is a common one

Get notified of new replies

To C5 speaker buzz

Quick Reply: C5 speaker buzz