Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Anybody using the Clarion NX501?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 AM
xphnmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using the Clarion NX501?

I'm considering the Clarion NX501 to replace the Bose head unit in my 94 C4 but want to get opinions about the unit. Reliability? Sound? Features? Ease of use? Any gotchas on installation? If you're using it, let me know your experience putting it in and how you like it. PM me if you want to.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
37pat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently put a NZ500 (similar, but single DIN and one model rev older) into my wife's C5 Corvette. Very, very happy with the baseline radio. Havn't tried iPod (I don't have one) but was very dissappointed with Clarion service / tech support. Apparently, if you are not a contract reseller, they just flat will not talk with you. Before buying check for currently available nav maps. This unit came with Jan '09 maps. Updated maps available 3/31/11 or earlier. Purchased on 4/1/11. Seller (Crutchfield) would not update. Nav software company would not update. Could not communicate with Clarion. Crutchfield did offer a store credit (about 50% of map upgrade cost). It has been rather frustrating. BTW -- Bluetooth phone works very well (haven't tried streaming yet, but will) when used with auxiliary mic. Best BT cell reception I've personally experienced.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 AM
mshmovie
1st Gear

Default NX501 is nice, but you better have support

I put an NX501 in my minivan (not my Z06) about two months ago; shortly after the unit came out.

I added the Sirius and HD Radio tuners as well as the ipod cable - all from Crutchfield (when comparing options, it was about $100 more but came with support & documentation that I'm glad I had as I did need to use it several times for two RMAs - NX501 and Sirius add on unit). I also added a "test" device I sourced on eBay to ensure I can have a passenger enter a destination address into the nav system even while underway (otherwise, you'd need to be stopped with the parking brake engaged to enter an address - my 2007 Z06's nav does that and it's an inconvenience at best).

The first unit I had caused a few issues, and I got it replaced when the nav refused to start (something someone else cited on Crutchfield for this unit - so I'm not alone).

Good:
  • UI Navigation is super easy - iDevice/Android like (flick to scroll)
  • Sound is fine (at least as good as the factory unit I replaced)
  • Connectivity: Tons to connect (preamp, speaker level, video in 1 & 2, video out to another zone/rear).
  • HD Radio: When listening to AM or FM, stations that broadcast in HD often have another channel or two of programming, sound is improved, you get iTunes tagging as well
  • Disc Playback: MP3 nested folders, DVD Video, (didn't try DVD-A)
  • Backup Camera: Engage reverse and the screen shows the backup source (I put in a nice Sony Camera)
  • Video: Can play DVDs, but doesn't have 5.1 sound. Will not play back when underway to in dash screen, only secondary screen (e.g. rear). The "test device" would allow you to play video while underway, but that would be ill advised, illegal, etc. (I advocate being able to use your nav without stopping, especially by your passenger - watching a video/that's nuts).
  • ipod integration: Very well done. Select by album, artist, playlists and tracks. Easier access by using letter scroll and flicking the results pane. Has simple mode for older models (where you control song selection from the ipod)
  • USB: You can connect a flash drive (not all work well; e.g., folders will not display anything on some drives - I'm a technologist and I can't figure out how this can be so picky) and play music from it.
  • Navigation: Has database of traffic enforcement cameras, displays speed limit where available, can display your own speed next to speed limit and can incessantly tell you you're over the speed limit when you 0-20% over the posted limit (you can turn the speed nag off - I did).

OK/but problematic:

Sirius Radio: When you turn on the car, if Sirius is not the selected source, switching to it after the system boots yields about a 10% success rate of it getting past "loading..."
Navigation: When my first unit just failed, I had none.

You should know:
Boot time: About 20 seconds before you hear any music.
MicroSD: Just for navigation
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
BigDog08
Advanced

I am in the process of installing it in my car now with a back up camera and video bypass relay. I am probably going to put another camera in for the front while I am at it. I have been trying to find someone who has figured out the software and interface on this unit to change the boot up screen from CLARION to a custom one like they do on all the other units of this kind. So far I like the unit put up a custom image when in the menu mode of carbon fiber background to match my carbon fiber interior. Just want to customized my boot up screen. Someone has to have figured out the Clarion interface. It is a nice complete unit interfaces well with the iphone with cable or without. Also tested with the new 4g phones seems to stream audio and video easily and pretty user friendly, but I still read the entire book.....lol 159 page online manual. I went with this unit under advice from a buddy of mine who is a stereo guy, and for what I was going to be using it for this was the best bang for the buck to get bluetooth, video, back up camera, phone interface, and nav.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM
xphnmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigDog08
I am in the process of installing it in my car now with a back up camera and video bypass relay. I am probably going to put another camera in for the front while I am at it. I have been trying to find someone who has figured out the software and interface on this unit to change the boot up screen from CLARION to a custom one like they do on all the other units of this kind. So far I like the unit put up a custom image when in the menu mode of carbon fiber background to match my carbon fiber interior. Just want to customized my boot up screen. Someone has to have figured out the Clarion interface. It is a nice complete unit interfaces well with the iphone with cable or without. Also tested with the new 4g phones seems to stream audio and video easily and pretty user friendly, but I still read the entire book.....lol 159 page online manual. I went with this unit under advice from a buddy of mine who is a stereo guy, and for what I was going to be using it for this was the best bang for the buck to get bluetooth, video, back up camera, phone interface, and nav.
Keep me posted on how you make out with the software. If I buy one I'd like to put in some custom wall paper too.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 PM
BigDog08
Advanced

Will do.....
Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 PM
STLSPARKY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im considering buying one of these. Any problems with this unit? How good is the nav? are map updates readily available?
Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 03:54 PM
oblivion
1st Gear

I amsolutely love mine. There are 2 software updates on the Clarion website that fix pretty much everything.
The bluetooth software is awesome. Uploadable main backgrounds is very nice, Also its pretty cool that you can move around the icons to suit your tastes as well as to work with backgrounds uploaded.

Also the fact that the unit can play video from an ipod (with a CCA748 adapter, none needed for just music) as well as video from a thumbdrive i thing its great. Also has 2 zone

The nav is great, selectable 3d icons, 15 million POIs and 3D landmarks. My favorite is lane mapping that shows certain offramps in 3D to show you which way to go, with street signs that looks real.

map updates are available from navteq, very easy to do. the first update is free provided there is a new one 30 days after you register your product. Theres an interface program you download and it does it for you.

Sorry for the long winded-ness but I did alot of reading on this unit.

Last edited by oblivion; 10-11-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody using the Clarion NX501?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody using the Clarion NX501?