Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone used DC Power Engineering alternators?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:30 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Anyone used DC Power Engineering alternators?

Like the title says, they are out of Cali. and manufacture high-output alternators.

I'm trying to get some feedback or opinions from anyone who has used their products. What's been your experience? Satisfied? Good quality?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

No one??
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

just curious what setup do you have that u need a high output alternator for
Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
just curious what setup do you have that u need a high output alternator for
The OEM 110 amp alternator is too low for even a stock vehicle. Even GM decided so and changed to a 145 amp unit during the C5 production run. Considering the price of new (I don't do rebuilt) vs an aftermarket HO unit, the pricing is not that far different.

Amps at idle, that's what it's all about. Battery lasts longer and your ignition system and accessories operate much more effectively. No glimmering/dimming lights on rainy nights with lights/AC/wipers going. I consider ~180 to 200 amps to be adequate for general usage and leave a comfortable margin for all but the more aggressive stereos, etc.

Btw, I do have a JL Audio Stealthbox sub and amp.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Tarheels1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may also have grounding issues. This would cause you to have the problems that you are experiencing. Take a look at this thread. It may be cheaper to go this route or in conjunction with your plans. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...ig-3-pics.html
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I installed one of their 270 amp alternators about a month ago. Expensive, but if you need a more powerful alternator, she's a beauty and works flawlessly. Idle voltage is now 14.2 to 14.6 (claimed 200 amps cold, and I think 160 hot), up from the low 12s. Looks like high quality, much better looking than stock, the pulley looks cnc and is a bit smaller in diameter. Has thrown no codes to date. Ten minutes to swap, probably would have been quicker if I didn't have a Procharger. In addition to two fuel pumps and radiator fan set to run pretty much all of the time, air conditioner, I have two JL amps totaling 800 and driving around town the oe alternator just could not keep the battery ( two year old Platinum Die Hard) charged. Very pleased with the new alternator.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tarheels1
You may also have grounding issues. This would cause you to have the problems that you are experiencing. Take a look at this thread. It may be cheaper to go this route or in conjunction with your plans. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...ig-3-pics.html
To be clear, I never said I was having dimming issues, just that it is not uncommon on cars with an OEM 110 Amp alternator. Better grounds can help any car somewhat, but good grounds can only do just so much. An anemic factory alternator is a much bigger factor. Grounds are not an issue on my car. I've had auxiliary grounds for some time.

I'm just trying to get feedback from anyone using DC Power alternators.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Austin-vette
I installed one of their 270 amp alternators about a month ago. Expensive, but if you need a more powerful alternator, she's a beauty and works flawlessly. Idle voltage is now 14.2 to 14.6 (claimed 200 amps cold, and I think 160 hot), up from the low 12s. Looks like high quality, much better looking than stock, the pulley looks cnc and is a bit smaller in diameter. Has thrown no codes to date. Ten minutes to swap, probably would have been quicker if I didn't have a Procharger. In addition to two fuel pumps and radiator fan set to run pretty much all of the time, air conditioner, I have two JL amps totaling 800 and driving around town the oe alternator just could not keep the battery ( two year old Platinum Die Hard) charged. Very pleased with the new alternator.
Is that one of their "XP" series?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Is that one of their "XP" series?
Yes it is.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Austin-vette
Yes it is.
Reason I ask is, they only list XPs as being available for C6s and F bodies, not C5s.

They only list their "HP" series (180 amp) for the C5s and apparently it is not available despite their website's indication that they are "in stock". How did you pick a XP? Did you call and they recommended it?

As you seem to have it installed in a C5, are you having any "Charge System Fault" messages at all?

EDIT: Just looked on your profile and see you have a C6.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 09-25-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Austin-vette
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Yes it's a C6, I'm surprised the C5s don't use the same alternator. There was a posting not long ago in the FI section about how to beat engine overheating issues and one of the first recommendations was to replace the alternator with a high output one and a link to DC Power, and I ordered their most powerful/expensive one on their site, received it in less than a week. I wasn't having overheating issues, but as soon as I hooked up my second sub (JL Audio 13.5) I started having battery issues. Looking back, I think one of the contributing factors causing my battery issues was under the hood heat. Anyway, very nice alternator and gald I put it on. Call them, if you have not already, they may have some good ideas.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone used DC Power Engineering alternators?

Quick Reply: Anyone used DC Power Engineering alternators?