Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

How to mount amp behind passenger seat?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default How to mount amp behind passenger seat?

I just removed the passenger seat in preparation for my install. I've decided to do it myself. Never having done any car stereo installation, I'd appreciate any advice. There will be more questions for sure. The amp is Arc Audio xDi805. Should I fasten it to a plywood board, then the board to the metal body of the car? Or amp fastened directly to the metal? What size bolt should I use to go through the metal?
Thanks,
Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

DO NOT drill through metal. Either glue a board with liquid nails etc and then mount amp to it, or just screw amp into the carpet
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
DO NOT drill through metal. Either glue a board with liquid nails etc and then mount amp to it, or just screw amp into the carpet
If I attach the amp to the carpet, it'll be kinda free-hanging, won't it? That piece of carpet just drapes over the metal and is not that thick. That's OK?

Thanks,
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

many people have done amps like that i have for a number of people who didnt want to glue boards etc and never an issue
Old 10-12-2011, 01:42 AM
TDCVA
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An outfit called parts express has "hurricane Nuts".

++++++++++

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=081-1082

++++++++++

No afiliation, just a long time customer. Other sizes available. Epoxy into place.

Worked great for fibreglass boat but you may need a nut-sert if you are going into metal. Works like a rivet, but has threaded center. Installs with a rivet gun and a stem tool to bind it home. Perhaps Swingline tools still has them.

More expensive but higher quality is "Marson" -- see thread setter kit #39214

Grainger is a source for that one.

Before all the fancy tools, we used to take the teco straps you get at Home Depot and Lowes, ace hardware etc.and braze nuts onto them. Then glue the strap with epoxy and tighten the amp into place. If it worked -- (the glue held), when you took it apart, the strap and nuts stayed.

Last resort was a piece of pipe strap and clip on speed nuts.

Parts express is a good source for a lot of electronics supplies.

TDCVA
Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your gas tanks are right behind the panel where you would be screwing into, so you do not want to drive any screws into that area.

Put the board in place, resting against the floor panel, and apply some liquid nails, and the board won't go anywhere. Place the carpet over that, and mount your amps (using the appropriate length screws) and you're set.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts
Tech Contributor

I'm getting ready to mount my EQ (AudioControl DQXS) there and was planning to epoxy four 1/4" x 1" elevator bolts to hold it (attached, from Ace hardware), cutting off any protrusion once bolted to. The bolt head is pretty wide and should stay in place. Maybe this is a better solution than the plywood and will have minimal thickness.

On my C5 I had 2 amps there, short-screwed to a 1/4" plywood piece held in place with liquid nails. Good luck and post a pic of how it turns out ...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Thrash; 10-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Thrash
I'm getting ready to mount my EQ (AudioControl DQXS) there and was planning to epoxy four 1/4" x 1" elevator bolts to hold it (attached, from Ace hardware), cutting off any protrusion once bolted to. The bolt head is pretty wide and should stay in place. Maybe this is a better solution than the plywood and will have minimal thickness.

On my C5 I had 2 amps there, short-screwed to a 1/4" plywood piece held in place with liquid nails. Good luck and post a pic of how it turns out ...
Thanks for the idea, will definitely consider it.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

May not work to well for a amp because of the heat, but anyway. I installed my XM receiver behind the passenger seat and I just put it under the carpet flap folded the flap back down and left it like that, no board mounting or anything, its been there for about 1500 miles and not one issue nothing, it may be too hot with the carpet over it for a amp but it sure works good and simple for the XM receiver.

Good Luck, DO NOT DRILL ANY HOLES IN THE PANELS BEHIND THE SEATS.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Gunnmetalblue
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

many people have done amps like that i have for a number of people who didnt want to glue boards etc and never an issue
Not sure how a heavy object like an amp would stay put only fastened to the carpet.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd recommend click studs. We use them on our aircraft to hold almost everything down. Could peal the carpet back, mount them to the metal and have them poke through. This will also give you more clearance for the seat instead of having a block off wood there as well. Pretty much what Thrash was recommending. You can get these and epoxy from a bunch of different suppliers. I have the amps in my truck mounted behind the back seat with these.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:15 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Update to my original reply, I removed my XM box and put my new amp behind the seat under the carpet with out mounting it to anything, it has worked great for two years with no issues. IMO no need to attach the amp at all.

Get notified of new replies

To How to mount amp behind passenger seat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to mount amp behind passenger seat?