Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Clarion NX501 no sound help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 PM
C6J
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clarion NX501 no sound help

I bought this system from a member here. It still had all the harnesses attached so basically plug and play. I have it all working except no sound. I notice an orange/white wire with the end stripped on it. Where does this go? Could this be why no sound. I have an 08 C6 Vert with BOSE.

This is the for sale thread that show what harnesses i have.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...-for-sale.html
Old 11-05-2011, 01:38 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The loose orange wire is prob the illumination wire from the HU, splice it into the gray wire with black stripe that goes to the TC/AH button.

No sound is prob due to you not turning on the bose amp. There's a blue or blue/white wire that comes out one of the HU harnesses for "external amp trigger", that wire needs to be connected to the white wire at B3 of the original harness (but I'd splice it into the wire on the interface adapter side of the plug, just to avoid splicing into oem wires).
Old 11-05-2011, 02:09 PM
C6J
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
The loose orange wire is prob the illumination wire from the HU, splice it into the gray wire with black stripe that goes to the TC/AH button.

No sound is prob due to you not turning on the bose amp. There's a blue or blue/white wire that comes out one of the HU harnesses for "external amp trigger", that wire needs to be connected to the white wire at B3 of the original harness (but I'd splice it into the wire on the interface adapter side of the plug, just to avoid splicing into oem wires).
There's a relay attached to the harness. There's a yellow wire on relay that's not attach to anything.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

It's hard to tell from the pic in the FS thread, but odds are the relay is supposed to power up the bose amp.

There should be 4 used terminals on the relay.
-one connects to pin B3 of oem harness
-one connects to ground (prob black)
-one connects to interface adapter (prob red)
-one connects to constant +12v (prob yellow)

If that's what yours looks like, then connect the yellow wire to an always on +12v. The yellow wire going into the HU would work, or the wire attached to pin B1 of the original harness is always hot.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 PM
C6J
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
It's hard to tell from the pic in the FS thread, but odds are the relay is supposed to power up the bose amp.

There should be 4 used terminals on the relay.
-one connects to pin B3 of oem harness
-one connects to ground (prob black)
-one connects to interface adapter (prob red)
-one connects to constant +12v (prob yellow)

If that's what yours looks like, then connect the yellow wire to an always on +12v. The yellow wire going into the HU would work, or the wire attached to pin B1 of the original harness is always hot.
I got it to work, but I don't think it's right. What is the point of the relay? I tried different ways with the relay and no go. I took the blue/white on Clarion harness, to the blue/white on the HU side of interface and attached all three to the blue/white on the Metra harness and it works.

Is there a better harness to use? I want the steering wheel controls to work. Also the green wire to run the DVD with car in motion is wired into the harness. Can I just cut that and wire it to ebrake?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Some interface adapters can't put out enough current to keep aftermarket accessories and radios running, so the relay is used. If you have everything working properly by bypassing the interface and without the relay, forget it's there.

To get the steering wheel controls working you'll need another interface adapter that works with your HU. Once you get it you'll need to follow the directions that come with it, and also supply +12v to the purple wire at pin A6 of the GM harness, then connect the dark blue wire at pin A7 to the 'input wire' on the SWI adapter.

You'll have to look up instructions for the e-brake wire that are specific to your radio, but if the nav and dvd are playing ok I'd just leave it.

Contact C5 BearsFan to ask about the interface, he knows what the current models are

Get notified of new replies

To Clarion NX501 no sound help

Quick Reply: Clarion NX501 no sound help