Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to Do? Kenwood DNX 9980 or new DNX 9990

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Rickmd
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default What to Do? Kenwood DNX 9980 or new DNX 9990

Last week I was set to replace the Bose/nav in my 07 Vert with the Kenwood DNX 9980 when I heard that the new DNX 9990 was coming out. So I waited.

One major reason for choosing the DNX 9980 over other Kenwood units was the dedicated center channel for 5.1 surround sound - i.e. 7 pre outs. I like watching TV on long trips. Please overlook safety/legality issues. I felt that the center channel speaker would enhance listening to movie dialog. The DNX 9980 provides complete control of the center speaker including auto turn off in the absence of 5.1 programming.

The new DNX 9990 was reportedly going to offer improved processing speed, true VGA screen resolution, built in HD radio, plus several other improvements. Then comes the bad news. Kenwood eliminated the center channel in the DNX 9990!

SOB. So now I must reconsider. Center speaker vs. improvements. How improved is the listening experience from 5.1 sources. I am aware of the muddled sound that comes from the Bose center speaker, i.e. mixed right and left channels. That is not what I am referring to. Can anyone share with me their experience with amping the center channel on a Kenwood DNX 9980? It is my understanding that you can turn the center speaker on and off in the zone control. Is sound improved with the speaker on or off? Bottom line: Does the center channel improve watching movies enough (especially in a convertable) to make it worth pursuing.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

the 9980 has hd radio as well.... When I mine installed I noticed it had all kinds of control for sound and speakers including stage, surround sound and even time alignment. You can even select what type and size of speakers you are running. I am almost 100% positve you could turn the surround on and off in the unit but mine was in a c5 so I never used that function.

Last edited by 1FUNC5; 01-22-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
jmaal13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really think the improved speed and gui of the 9990 as well as the other improvements will supersede the center channel. One thing to think of, it will be a few months before you can get the 9990, and once it does come out, the 9980 should be cheaper. So go check out the 9990 when you can, then if its not your cup of tea get the 9980.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickmd
Last week I was set to replace the Bose/nav in my 07 Vert with the Kenwood DNX 9980 when I heard that the new DNX 9990 was coming out. So I waited.

One major reason for choosing the DNX 9980 over other Kenwood units was the dedicated center channel for 5.1 surround sound - i.e. 7 pre outs. I like watching TV on long trips. Please overlook safety/legality issues. I felt that the center channel speaker would enhance listening to movie dialog. The DNX 9980 provides complete control of the center speaker including auto turn off in the absence of 5.1 programming.

The new DNX 9990 was reportedly going to offer improved processing speed, true VGA screen resolution, built in HD radio, plus several other improvements. Then comes the bad news. Kenwood eliminated the center channel in the DNX 9990!

SOB. So now I must reconsider. Center speaker vs. improvements. How improved is the listening experience from 5.1 sources. I am aware of the muddled sound that comes from the Bose center speaker, i.e. mixed right and left channels. That is not what I am referring to. Can anyone share with me their experience with amping the center channel on a Kenwood DNX 9980? It is my understanding that you can turn the center speaker on and off in the zone control. Is sound improved with the speaker on or off? Bottom line: Does the center channel improve watching movies enough (especially in a convertable) to make it worth pursuing.
something you need to consider, to get the center speaker working you'll need an amp as the output of the HU is preamp only!
you will also have to replace the entire factory amplifiers and speakers.

the best feature you can use with either head unit is the time alignment. once you get that dialed in the sound is awesome!

of what its worth, the only time your going to get true 5.1 is when you watch DVD movies, any other time its just pro logic surround from any 2 channel source and the center speaker ends up becoming pretty much useless anyway.

i have played with the new 9990 and i must say it is faster, better GUI and easier to use.
when they are available ill be able to get my hands on one for cost. if your interested let me know.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
something you need to consider, to get the center speaker working you'll need an amp as the output of the HU is preamp only!
you will also have to replace the entire factory amplifiers and speakers.

the best feature you can use with either head unit is the time alignment. once you get that dialed in the sound is awesome!

of what its worth, the only time your going to get true 5.1 is when you watch DVD movies, any other time its just pro logic surround from any 2 channel source and the center speaker ends up becoming pretty much useless anyway.

i have played with the new 9990 and i must say it is faster, better GUI and easier to use.
when they are available ill be able to get my hands on one for cost. if your interested let me know.
He already has a complete system ordered with the 9990 and a bunch of other goodies.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Craig P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the 9990 use the same harness as the 9980?
In other words, can I unplug one and plug in the other?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Craig P
Will the 9990 use the same harness as the 9980?
In other words, can I unplug one and plug in the other?

I would assume yes
untill I can actually see them I cant honestly answer

I will have the 6990 at the end of the week so will check the harness on that one and compare to the 6980
Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Rickmd
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the replys. I have decided to go with the new DNX 9990. I have given up on trying to save the 5.1 center channel. I will post pictures of how to install a 3 component speaker system (6.5-4.0-1.25) in the doors of a C6. I am exceeding pleased with how clean and unobstucted the installation is turning out.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Jram116
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us updated on your progress. I plan on doing the same thing in the spring. Thanks, and gl with the project.

Get notified of new replies

To What to Do? Kenwood DNX 9980 or new DNX 9990

Quick Reply: What to Do? Kenwood DNX 9980 or new DNX 9990