Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HU adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
thptrek
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default HU adjustments

This is my system (Pioneer 4300 DVD HU, JL stealthbox sub, Focal 165KR fronts, Focal 130KRC rears, Kenwood XR5S amp). On the HU does it make sense to set the High Pass Filter to 80 Hz and the Sub low pass filter also to 80Hz. Is it best to keep these the same? I also have the option to set these higher or lower. Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Try it both ways, see what you like best.

I believe I had mine at 120LP and 100HP for a while, now they're both at 100 with my new sub.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Gadget01
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thptrek
This is my system (Pioneer 4300 DVD HU, JL stealthbox sub, Focal 165KR fronts, Focal 130KRC rears, Kenwood XR5S amp). On the HU does it make sense to set the High Pass Filter to 80 Hz and the Sub low pass filter also to 80Hz. Is it best to keep these the same? I also have the option to set these higher or lower. Any suggestions?
I have read it's ok to underlap them a little or meet at the same frequency, but not to overlap. It kind of depends on how many dBs per octave the slopes are for each crossover though. If either one fades in/out slowly, then it's probably better to underlap by setting the LP frequency a little lower than the HP frequency. My midbass/sub crossover points are both at 90Hz and it's working very well.

How do you like the 165KRs? Those are on my want list but the price is a bit scary.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
thptrek
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really like the 165KRs. They can put out an amazing amount of sound with a lot of clarity. I can play light jazz or classical pieces and you can hear everything. Something like Rhapsody in Blue when you have the initial clarinet note is pure and sweet. Then if you change to some rock or even hip hop (kids) you can get the pounding bass, crisp lows and great vocals.

I have had to turn down the high end on the EQ as these speakers are a bit "bright."

The price is high but this is my daily driver and I spend a lot of time in her. c5bear provided me with all my equipment and support. Highly recommended.

Get notified of new replies

To HU adjustments

Quick Reply: HU adjustments