Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Pioneer double din decks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:46 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
you can only do apps on app radio1 and 2
no other radio

keep in mind there is only 1 preout on app radio 1 and 2 on app radio 2
According to Pioneer's website, the 8400 is supposed to have 'advanced app mode' meaning it has the same app functionality as the app radio. Is this not the case? The video on the website even it shows it...is this not currently working on the existing 8400 firmware? Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by taylor34
According to Pioneer's website, the 8400 is supposed to have 'advanced app mode' meaning it has the same app functionality as the app radio. Is this not the case? The video on the website even it shows it...is this not currently working on the existing 8400 firmware? Thanks

It could they have only been shipping for a few weeks and
since we do not have the option for an iphone with our cell provider I have not been able to fully mess with one to see how all the options for this work.

I sent two of them to a customer with an Iphone a week ago and will email him now and ask what apps and functions this will allow him to control.
Sorry this is what is horrible in not having an iphone to be able to test test some of this stuff.

When I was at Pioneer training on them they did not show us app features on the raido. They were more stuck on the Mix Trax
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 AM
RED08VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the 8400 for about $80 more then the 4400 which really makes it a no brainer for just the screen RES being that much better. You also get the SD card slot (who cares about that when you got USB as I use my 500GB hard drive) and the Detach screen (such old, gay technology). But for the screen alone, it makes the 8400 a much better unit.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:15 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It could they have only been shipping for a few weeks and
since we do not have the option for an iphone with our cell provider I have not been able to fully mess with one to see how all the options for this work.

I sent two of them to a customer with an Iphone a week ago and will email him now and ask what apps and functions this will allow him to control.
Sorry this is what is horrible in not having an iphone to be able to test test some of this stuff.

When I was at Pioneer training on them they did not show us app features on the raido. They were more stuck on the Mix Trax
An ipod touch 4 or better would also work I think, doesn't have to be an iphone, fyi, in case you happen to have one of those.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I may have missed this but what type of phone do you have?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by tampatopless
I may have missed this but what type of phone do you have?

ME?
I use a Blackberry
Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

An ipod touch 4 or better would also work I think, doesn't have to be an iphone, fyi, in case you happen to have one of those.

No
I dont have an itouch 4 sorry

I am not much of an ipod guy and more sirius xm
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

reply from customer I asked witht he 8400

Well you can't download apps ON the radio. You DL them on your iPhone first.

I downloaded Motion-X (navigation) and intrix traffic. As of right now, there aren't a ton of apps available. But some of the native iPhone apps (maps and photos) work amazingly well. You control them from the radio.

I'll add more info in the morning as I'm on my phone
Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

No
I dont have an itouch 4 sorry

I am not much of an ipod guy and more sirius xm
I don't blame you, up until 6 months ago I was the same way. Have a blackberry, have XM radio in the minivan I had been driving before getting the vette a month ago, no ipod. Then my wife got an ipod touch 6 months ago and then last week an iphone, and after playing with it I can stream the same things I listen to on XM (espn radio and other sports radio mainly) directly to the iphone. So I'm just going to move to that, cancel XM, and use pandora and tunein instead (which through my experimentation, has much better music than XM due to the customization you can do). In order to do that safely though, I need a head unit that can operate apps like that, hence the original question.

I was originally just going to activate the XM in my car and use the stock nav/PAL but the XM module in my car seems to be hosed for some reason (PAL works fine, XM preview channel doesn't work though, so I think my xm module or antenna is broke). So rather than trying to sort out that mess, I figured that a better solution would be to get a new headunit with iphone integration for streaming. Plus after selling the nav unit + pal the new head unit wouldn't be that much more. I'm just trying to sort out which one to buy...I was originally thinking the 930 for nav, but now that the 8400 is out that seems like just as good of a solution. And with the 719 being $200 cheaper that also seems like a possibility...any users who bought the 719 who can chime in on the iphone capabilities?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I don't blame you, up until 6 months ago I was the same way. Have a blackberry, have XM radio in the minivan I had been driving before getting the vette a month ago, no ipod. Then my wife got an ipod touch 6 months ago and then last week an iphone, and after playing with it I can stream the same things I listen to on XM (espn radio and other sports radio mainly) directly to the iphone. So I'm just going to move to that, cancel XM, and use pandora and tunein instead (which through my experimentation, has much better music than XM due to the customization you can do). In order to do that safely though, I need a head unit that can operate apps like that, hence the original question.

I was originally just going to activate the XM in my car and use the stock nav/PAL but the XM module in my car seems to be hosed for some reason (PAL works fine, XM preview channel doesn't work though, so I think my xm module or antenna is broke). So rather than trying to sort out that mess, I figured that a better solution would be to get a new headunit with iphone integration for streaming. Plus after selling the nav unit + pal the new head unit wouldn't be that much more. I'm just trying to sort out which one to buy...I was originally thinking the 930 for nav, but now that the 8400 is out that seems like just as good of a solution. And with the 719 being $200 cheaper that also seems like a possibility...any users who bought the 719 who can chime in on the iphone capabilities?

719 customer review
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-thoughts.html

Quick Reply: Pioneer double din decks