Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 rear speaker volume level question w/ PAC ROEM-Vet1 adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C5 rear speaker volume level question w/ PAC ROEM-Vet1 adapter

I have a pioner Z140BH using stock speakers and the ROEM-Vet1 and when I fade to the rear I get very quiet volume compared to the front. I have played w/ the pots on the ROEM-VET1 harness and I've discovered the rear pots do nothing for volume. Front adjustments are obvious. With the pot all the way left I get no BASS in front and lots going right so I know they are functioning fine. I've tried to turn the fronts all the way down to try to balance the fronts w/ the rears but all I do is loose bass in the front. I'm assuming something is awry but maybe the rears are supposed to be that quiet?

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

the pots just adjust the bass speakers up front, not the twiddlers in the doors. this gives the illusion that the front is way louder then the back
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

So the rear pots should do nothing? When I set the radio to fade at the rear at say level 5 volume on the radio the fronts are quite loud and the rears I can't even hear.
Dave
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

if i recall rear pots do nothing. where do you have your hp and lp filters set on radio
Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
if i recall rear pots do nothing. where do you have your hp and lp filters set on radio
hpf is off, don't think i have a lpf.

Dave
Old 08-13-2012, 04:38 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

C5's don't have any external amps for rears. Use HU speaker outputs and run new wires directly to rear speakers. Problem solved in about two hours

If you need info on oem wire colors click here
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

what if I were to just fade more towards the back speakers to compensate for the volume difference?

Dave
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by T_Vert
what if I were to just fade more towards the back speakers to compensate for the volume difference?

Dave
If the rears are as low as you make it sound, then you prob wouldn't hear anything from the fronts either.

C5 doesn't have any external amps, so all of the speaker volume is coming from the HU internal amp (except door subs). Assuming you have it connected properly, if interface adapter is killing rears, then best solution is to bypass interface and just run new speaker wires from HU directly to rear speakers.
The following users liked this post:
ewf3 (10-19-2022)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Thanks.

Dave
Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 PM
billvh
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting ready to do this too, isn't the point of using the adapter being able to use the factory wiring and not run new wires? I know it also re-uses the Bose sub and amp, but speaker output from HU should still straight to the speakers I thought.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:40 PM
ronhemphill
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

If you're still around the forum. I'm running into the same issue on my 2001 convertible. I just exchanged the factory unit for a JVC HU through the ROEM-VET1, and getting virtually nothing out of the rear speakers no matter what adjustments I make.

Did you end up doing the re-wire or find some other solution?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 01-18-2015, 03:02 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Honest I don't recall but I think I went w/ a different interface. I can pull the console and check one day soon if you'd like.

Dave
Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 PM
ronhemphill
8th Gear

Honest I don't recall but I think I went w/ a different interface. I can pull the console and check one day soon if you'd like.

Dave
I'd really hate to put you through all that trouble. But I'm assuming you came up with a remedy that gives good sound all around? Do you remember if you ended up changing any or all of the speakers? Oh, and did yours happen to have the CD changer (I'm just wondering if that makes any difference as my searches seem to show some people having this problem, others not - so there's got to be something differentiating them).

My front speakers sound great, but with the current solution (ROEM-VET1) I've sort of resigned myself to just not having sound out of the rear speakers. This is a super-low-mileage 2001 (<10K), and I just wanted to get Bluetooth set up in it.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:25 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ronhemphill
I'd really hate to put you through all that trouble. But I'm assuming you came up with a remedy that gives good sound all around? Do you remember if you ended up changing any or all of the speakers? Oh, and did yours happen to have the CD changer (I'm just wondering if that makes any difference as my searches seem to show some people having this problem, others not - so there's got to be something differentiating them).

My front speakers sound great, but with the current solution (ROEM-VET1) I've sort of resigned myself to just not having sound out of the rear speakers. This is a super-low-mileage 2001 (<10K), and I just wanted to get Bluetooth set up in it.
I did not change the speakers and I did not have a cd changer. I may have just faded back a hair but I can go check that too in a bit.

Dave
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM
ronhemphill
8th Gear

I did not change the speakers and I did not have a cd changer. I may have just faded back a hair but I can go check that too in a bit.

Dave
That eliminates the CD changer as being any part of the problem. As I already mentioned, the front speakers sound great so I have no reason to change them, and in fact I hope to keep this car as original as possible.

I, too, have faded back 1 notch, but it doesn't really do any good. I lose too much of the front if I try to fade any further.

Dave - You've been a great help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks again!
Ron
Old 01-19-2015, 12:07 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

I didn't really answer much. In a bit I'll go check my fade settings and the sound level of my rear speakers. Will report back a bit later.

Dave
Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

C5 doesn't have an external amp, and once the roem is installed the only speakers affected by the Bose processor are the door subs, so the new HU should be directly feeding the rear speakers. If the full volume isn't properly passing through the roem you can bypass it behind the radio in just a few minutes with four of these from wal-mart

Between the HU wires and roem wires, disconnect the rear speaker wires (greeen, green/black, violet, violet/black).

On the car's stock wire harness plug C2 (the bottom half of the big one that was conencted to the radio), connect green HU to brown wire at pin 20, green/black HU to yellow wire at pin 19, violet HU to dark blue at pin 18, violet/black HU to light blue at pin 17.

That will send HU amplified rear speaker output directly to the rear speakers without the roem changing it at all.

C5 prints are HERE if you need them.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 rear speaker volume level question w/ PAC ROEM-Vet1 adapter

Old 01-19-2015, 01:46 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Ron, I went out and I have zero fade to the back and the sound from the rear speakers is pretty good now. I really don't recall what I did but it seems the above post has some good solutions for you. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll pull my center console for you.

Dave
Old 01-19-2015, 09:41 PM
ronhemphill
8th Gear

markcz - your suggestion makes a whole lot of sense! I will give it a try. Seems like I could simply connect the rear speakers directly to the HU by using the ROEM harness (i.e. I'll just cut the harness wires on each end of the ROEM and tie them together there - and then I'm not even touching the Vette harness). Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Dave - whether you think so or not, you've been a big help just by responding and sticking with me. Thanks again!

After I get around to trying this (may be a couple or three weeks before I get the chance), I'll reply and give the results.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Stingroo
Safety Car

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,692 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ronhemphill
markcz - your suggestion makes a whole lot of sense! I will give it a try. Seems like I could simply connect the rear speakers directly to the HU by using the ROEM harness (i.e. I'll just cut the harness wires on each end of the ROEM and tie them together there - and then I'm not even touching the Vette harness). Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Dave - whether you think so or not, you've been a big help just by responding and sticking with me. Thanks again!

After I get around to trying this (may be a couple or three weeks before I get the chance), I'll reply and give the results.
Ron,

I know it's been a couple or three years now (lol) but did you ever get your sound back to your rear speakers?

Quick Reply: C5 rear speaker volume level question w/ PAC ROEM-Vet1 adapter