Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head unit trouble shooting, radio stays on with door open

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head unit trouble shooting, radio stays on with door open

I tried to start my car after two weeks, but found out that my battery had gone dead. Not thinking much about as I felt this battery was weak any way, gave it a jump drove it 30 minutes to work and started looking for a new battery. By my lunch break it had gone dead again, this is when I started suspecting other problems, and there is was opened the door and the radio kept playing.

Later that night after getting it jumped AGAIN I noticed that after the ride home the voltage had come back up to 12V per the DIC without the motor running. I ate dinner and went back out (now dark) and checked the voltage it was down to like 11.7-11.2.

When I turned the key to off the dash lights stayed on for a little then they went off and I got the "Security" light, but the lights in the door switches stayed on, they took a good 3-4 minutes to go out.

Once all the interior lights were out and the radio face plate was removed I could hear a fan running in the aftermarket radio. This radio is pretty fancy, it has a back up camera, GPS, all speakers are amped and only line level, so there is a billion miles of spaghetti behind the panel.

When the doors is opened I am getting a "door ajar" message

Once I sorted out what all the wires were for, I found a two interesting things, 1st was the installer tapped the cig lighter for the turn on line and two there was this strange "Access" box, I took it apart.

Inside the "access" mystery box

The Harness adapter

I have the battery on the charger @ 2A , hoping that running it flat 4 times in a row didn't kill it. When it's charged up I plan to see if the car is telling the radio to stay on, or this strange box is, or the head unit is going haywire.

If this is a common issue I wanted to post here to get some help before I tear into something I don't need to, I did read that this could be cause by a window valet, but I am not sure how to see if I have one of them. The rest of the search results didn't seem to match my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2002 z06 45K
Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

axcess box is most likely your culprit
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Is this a new install? Did it just start doing this after working fine?

Window Valet would be plugged in to the OBDII port at the base of the steering column, but that wouldn't cause your issue.

If Axxess box is connected to pin 15 of C2 (C5 prints HERE) and also the red wire going into HU power connector, then Axxess box is controlling the radio on/off and I'd suspect that it is bad. If that's the case, you can get a new one (of same or new brand) OR you can snip the red wire and use switched yellow wire in accessory pigtail (print HERE) or use a fuse tap from a switched source.

the installer tapped the cig lighter for the turn on line
If that's true, then that is your problem. Look at pigtail print I linked to above, cig lighter is always hot in C5
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 PM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz

Window Valet would be plugged in to the OBDII port at the base of the steering column, but that wouldn't cause your issue.

If Axxess box is connected to pin 15 of C2 (C5 prints HERE) and also the red wire going into HU power connector, then Axxess box is controlling the radio on/off and I'd suspect that it is bad. If that's the case, you can get a new one (of same or new brand) OR you can snip the red wire and use switched yellow wire in accessory pigtail (print HERE) or use a fuse tap from a switched source.

If that's true, then that is your problem. Look at pigtail print I linked to above, cig lighter is always hot in C5

This is a new problem, the HU would turn off as soon as I opened the door. He has a light blue wire tapped off the cig lighter, maybe thats a memory line? I would assume that the factory harness would have everything you need, not sure why he tapped the cig line.

What is the purpose of this Access box?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 PM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
axcess box is most likely your culprit

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

There isn't a switched power wire in the oem plug. The interface box listens in on the serial data line to determine when the radio should be on/off, it's prob bad. You can get a new box, or snip the red HU wire and connect it to a switched wire in the car, but you'd lose R.A.P. if you do that.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

get rid of the metra harness
and get the roem-vet1

http://shop.doubledmods.com/searchqu...ords=roem-vet1
this is your issue as these are known to do this

if you have aftermarket speakers as I think I see rca cables then you have the wrong harness anyways
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

I think this might be the ticket, it's not that invasive if the problem lies in the car, the print you posted has a note passenger side foot well, can you tell me where in the foot well I could tap that switch orange wire?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by checkoutmyjunk
the print you posted has a note passenger side foot well, can you tell me where in the foot well I could tap that switch orange wire?
The 3 wires are usually taped to one of the wire runs in the top left corner, above and to the left of the fuse box.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

The 3 wires are usually taped to one of the wire runs in the top left corner, above and to the left of the fuse box.
Sorry for being a dummy, where is the fuse box? I am very competent with electronics (how I make my living) just never worked on this car, just got is a few months ago.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

fuse box is in the passenger footwell
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
checkoutmyjunk
Instructor

Thanks to markcz, pentavolvo & Double D Mods I got this sorted out.

That box was in fact the culprit, I cut the red switched wire to the HU and wired it to number 22 in the fuse box. Left it sit for two days and it fired up on the 3rd with no problems.

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Head unit trouble shooting, radio stays on with door open

Quick Reply: Head unit trouble shooting, radio stays on with door open