Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Front Door Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Default C6 Front Door Speakers

Im planning to upgrade my entire System

I want to go with a bigger speaker in the doors ( Seperates ) I understand there is a company that sells the adapter plate to mount a 6" or 8" and tweeters.

What is the biggest size speaker for the rear without modifications

And what do you guys do with the speaker in the dash
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll be pretty hard to go with a bigger speaker in the door. The stock speakers in the door are a 9-10" woofer and a 3.5" mid/tweeter. when you replace the woofer in the door, you'll need some type of adapter plate to fill in the large hole, and mount whatever speaker you put in there. You could put in an 8" - as long as it's not too deep. I used an adapter plate that mounted the speaker about 1/2" off of the door, and my 8" MB Quart mid-woofer barely fit. Sorry - not sure where to get the adapter plates from. A couple of the forum vendors sell them.

Are you going to add a subwoofer in the back? One of the big problems with replacing the stock speaker is that it's hard to get anything that will fit in the stock door location and which will play low frequencies as well as the stock speaker. Replacing it with a 6.5" will definitely lose some bass. Replacing it with an 8" will get you a little closer, but then you start to lose midrange output, and meshing with a tweeter gets difficult.

I used an 8" combined with a 4" two way in the upper door location. I also added a subwoofer. The most straightforward approach is a subwoofer in the back, combined with a 6.5" two way component set in the doors.

The rears are 5.5", but they don't really help with sound quality at all. Some people like to use them to add "rear fill", but even if you do, you don't want to run much power to them, or have them play very loudly. I'd pretty much ignore them - run the stock speakers if you want. Many people disconnect the front/center speaker. I left mine hooked up, with very little power running to it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 AM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
It'll be pretty hard to go with a bigger speaker in the door. The stock speakers in the door are a 9-10" woofer and a 3.5" mid/tweeter. when you replace the woofer in the door, you'll need some type of adapter plate to fill in the large hole, and mount whatever speaker you put in there. You could put in an 8" - as long as it's not too deep. I used an adapter plate that mounted the speaker about 1/2" off of the door, and my 8" MB Quart mid-woofer barely fit. Sorry - not sure where to get the adapter plates from. A couple of the forum vendors sell them.

Are you going to add a subwoofer in the back? One of the big problems with replacing the stock speaker is that it's hard to get anything that will fit in the stock door location and which will play low frequencies as well as the stock speaker. Replacing it with a 6.5" will definitely lose some bass. Replacing it with an 8" will get you a little closer, but then you start to lose midrange output, and meshing with a tweeter gets difficult.

I used an 8" combined with a 4" two way in the upper door location. I also added a subwoofer. The most straightforward approach is a subwoofer in the back, combined with a 6.5" two way component set in the doors.

The rears are 5.5", but they don't really help with sound quality at all. Some people like to use them to add "rear fill", but even if you do, you don't want to run much power to them, or have them play very loudly. I'd pretty much ignore them - run the stock speakers if you want. Many people disconnect the front/center speaker. I left mine hooked up, with very little power running to it.

Thanks

Yes I am actually running 2 Subs in the Rear

I purchased a JL 6 Channel Amp, this will be enough for me
Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Rears are actually 5.25"

You can make the adapter plates pretty easily out of 1/4" MDF. A 2'x4' sheet at Home Depot is under $6, and gives you enough to make several mistakes before getting it right

Dennis at DD sells MDF plates for under $20, or there are other harder and more moisture resistant ones available from nakidparts for $50. I used MDF in mine.

As mentioned, if you already have a sub go for amped 6.5" components in the doors. If you use them at all, I'd just let HU power the oem rears.

Center speaker can be removed, or just leave it there unplugged.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Full info on all of this can be found in the stickies at the top. I have 6.5's and 3.5 coaxes in the doors, tweets on the pillars, 5.25's & tweets comps in the rear and twin 10" subs in the trunk ...
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Thrash
Full info on all of this can be found in the stickies at the top. I have 6.5's and 3.5 coaxes in the doors, tweets on the pillars, 5.25's & tweets comps in the rear and twin 10" subs in the trunk ...
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Front Door Speakers

Quick Reply: C6 Front Door Speakers