Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'09 Z06 3LZ Bluetooth / Steering Wheel Phone button not working - issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '09 Z06 3LZ Bluetooth / Steering Wheel Phone button not working - issue

I tried the C6 Tech forum and got no replies, thought I'd try the electronic guys to see if you've run across this:

Just bought an '09 Z and the steering wheel phone button won't do anything. Orig. owner never paired his phone thus wasn't aware until I asked. Here's what I know, trying to resolve rather than involving dealer/extended warranty:

Steering wheel Radio controls do work.
OnStar works / Onstar phone works (mirror controls)
Car is 3LZ NO NAV originally - Orig. owner added an OEM NAV unit from an '08 Z06
Orig. Owner also added rear subs and amps. I'm still learning how he installed so can't provide details here but sure makes me wonder if something is conflicting. He used threads on the forum to add the stereo equipment.
When I push / hold the phone button (accy mode, running, etc) nothing happens in either Accy or Run modes.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

If it is in working order, press & hold the top phone button, a voice should then prompt you. If not, likely an improper connector was used when the stereo work was done, or other error. Maybe the microphone is missing or damaged, but you should hear the voices.

On my '09 vert, I left the original non-nav head unit but removed the stock amp, adding two new amps. My OnStar and bluetooth work fine. I'm sure MarkCZ will "chime" in and fix everything ... as usual.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Thanks Thrash. Looking forward to more advice. I do know / think the stock amp was left in - the front speakers still play when I first get in the car then when I go to run/start it up, the two added amps kick in and play. I had an '09 Z before this one so I'm pretty familiar with the BT setup, this one the buttons are just dead but the onstar, onstar phone on the mirror and the steering stereo controls work fine.

thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash
If it is in working order, press & hold the top phone button, a voice should then prompt you. If not, likely an improper connector was used when the stereo work was done, or other error. Maybe the microphone is missing or damaged, but you should hear the voices.

On my '09 vert, I left the original non-nav head unit but removed the stock amp, adding two new amps. My OnStar and bluetooth work fine. I'm sure MarkCZ will "chime" in and fix everything ... as usual.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

BT is part of the OnStar system, but it's controlled via the radio (the only place the steering wheel buttons are connected).

I'm pretty sure BT wasn't an option until '09, but even if it was available in '08 the Nav radio would have had to been programmed for it. I'm guessing the radio is non-BT programmed, so it's just ignoring the signals from the BT buttons.

If you replaced the '08 Nav with the original '09 radio it will prob work.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Thanks. That makes sense. Disappointing but makes sense.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

markcz: I'm thinking of buying a stock head unit Nav from a 2010 or 2011 grand sport that I've been offered - can you think of any reason that unit wouldn't "bolt in" and work with the BT controls? Since my '08 unit is from a car before they had BT, it would seem an '09 or later unit would work. Just want a sanity check before I pay out the cash.

thanks!

Originally Posted by markcz
BT is part of the OnStar system, but it's controlled via the radio (the only place the steering wheel buttons are connected).

I'm pretty sure BT wasn't an option until '09, but even if it was available in '08 the Nav radio would have had to been programmed for it. I'm guessing the radio is non-BT programmed, so it's just ignoring the signals from the BT buttons.

If you replaced the '08 Nav with the original '09 radio it will prob work.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I believe that it SHOULD work, but I've never tried it.

You will have to get a dealer to marry it to your VIN before it will work properly with the car running, but if you don't start the car and just go into accessory mode immediately after the initial install you should be able to test it out.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Default Nav Year Fit ??

Anyone else have input on whether a '10, '11, '12 Nav would work in my '09 3LZ with proper function of the BT Steering wheel controls? As I see them offered for sale, I want to push the buy-button but don't need to spend $xxx and get another unit that won't allow me to use the BT controls. I guess ideally I need an '09 unit. Any ideas on what if anything changed on the later years wiring, plug connector-wise?

thanks for any input/discussion.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 PM
jamier2
Advanced

My bluetooth button is odd too, and I also have a 2009 Z. Mine worked to set up the bluetooth pairing process. However, when I get a call it won't answer. I just use the phone and choose "General Motors" as the audio source (via the phone menu) and it works but I wish I could answer with the steering wheel button.

Not too big of a deal as I'm replacing the whole stock system in a week or so, but it is odd. I figure since it let me use that button to set up everything the problem isn't in the button itself.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB09Z06
Anyone else have input on whether a '10, '11, '12 Nav would work in my '09 3LZ with proper function of the BT Steering wheel controls? As I see them offered for sale, I want to push the buy-button but don't need to spend $xxx and get another unit that won't allow me to use the BT controls. I guess ideally I need an '09 unit. Any ideas on what if anything changed on the later years wiring, plug connector-wise?

thanks for any input/discussion.
yes, it will work. I have an 09z that had factory Bluetooth but was non nav and installed an 08 factory nav, Bluetooth did not function......I purchased a 2010 nav unit that was from a Bluetooth car, installed it, and it works great....after the dealer VIN match. I actually posted about it in case any one ever searched.......it will work.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Thanks dunxxx. I searched and read til my eyes were weak, thanks for the reply and reassurance!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Default Resolved

Just to close out on this - sure enough I put a '12 Head unit in the car and the steering wheel / Bluetooth controls work perfectly. GPS NAV Head Units from '08-06 cars apparently DO NOT have the "stuff" to work in '09 and later Bluetooth controls. Simple enough fix. Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Thanks for the update
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB09Z06
Just to close out on this - sure enough I put a '12 Head unit in the car and the steering wheel / Bluetooth controls work perfectly. GPS NAV Head Units from '08-06 cars apparently DO NOT have the "stuff" to work in '09 and later Bluetooth controls. Simple enough fix. Thanks for all the input!
awesome!...Here was the post I had made earlier...lots of info to search through sometimes. Hopefully this thread will help members out in the future..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...bluetooth.html

Get notified of new replies

To '09 Z06 3LZ Bluetooth / Steering Wheel Phone button not working - issue

Quick Reply: '09 Z06 3LZ Bluetooth / Steering Wheel Phone button not working - issue