Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installed new HU, Amp and Sub and now car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM
n8z06
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new HU, Amp and Sub and now car will not start

I had just gotten a new HU, AppRadio2, and amp,sub, and back up cam installed. The car was running well for a couple hours after the installation, but then I went to start it and it cranked and then died. The battery looks a little low, but when it was charged up it would just click like it was trying to start but not turning over.
The CEL came on, then Reduced Engine Power msg, and eventually it even showed my gas gauge at zero and Service Fuel System msg.

Oh by the way is and 08 Z06, and the battery is the original battery from 2008. But could all these problems be from just a bad battery. Thats what the installer said it was likely a bad battery or an anti-theft system. But when they looked at it they could not find anything wrong and said it might just be a coincidence.

Anyone else have any problems like this? Could they really have messed up the cars CPU on an install?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

loose battery connection and/or dead battery
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by n8z06
The car was running well for a couple hours after the installation, but then I went to start it and it cranked and then died.
If installer fried a computer it would have never started.

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
loose battery connection and/or dead battery
Jump start the car and let battery get charged up, then see what happens tomorrow morning.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 PM
n8z06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by markcz
If installer fried a computer it would have never started.

Jump start the car and let battery get charged up, then see what happens tomorrow morning.
I tried to jump it but it still would not crank, but once I cleared the codes I got it started but it seemed to want to die and ran pretty raggedy. And the CEL came on again. Ill pick up another battery tomorrow and see if that fixes the problems.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
n8z06
6th Gear

I just got a call from the Dealer and he said the ECM is fried, and a new battery is needed. I also talked to the installer and he said he wants a detailed report from the dealership that it was his fault. My car was running fine and now its not. If this was a mechanical issue I would believe him, but the ECM being burnt after an audio system install seems a little to coincidental.

Any recommendations?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check to make sure the connections/harnesses aren't loose or clipped in properly under the passenger side footrest area (in and around the fuse box - esp just above where the bose amp is mounted from the factory). Also check to see if the amplifier and any other equipment installed turns off after the car is turned off in case they are draining the battery. Before putting a new ecm in I'd also install a new battery (not from GM) because a low battery can cause the car to run poorly if the alternator isn't working properly and would actually take about 1-2 hours to get low enough not produce enough spark for the plugs, fuel pressure etc. So also check that your alternator is always charging correctly (fyi - sometimes the internal regulators can be intermittent). I also have an 08Z and the factory battery was done with the car only having 5k on the OD.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I'd also put in a new battery and see what happens. If the ECM is actually fried, new battery won't help much, but if it's just the battery you'll be done. Low batteries can cause all sorts of issues, ECM could be fine.

As Tone suggested, make sure all of the new equipment is turning off when car is off.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
n8z06
6th Gear

I did check and all electrical equipment was powering down when the car turned off, the Amps light goes off and the display on the head unit goes off as well. I wonder if he rigged the brake bypass incorrectly and that could have done something. The dealer said the battery would not hold above 10.5v so it definitely has a battery issue, but he said he tried another battery from the shop and was still having a problem from the ECM. It is already at the dealer since I had to get it towed and it 1 mile as opposed to my house being 25+ miles, but I will tell him I would like that done. I guess I should bring in a non GM battery to have him install it, would a red top optimum be good? I hope he didnt already pull the ECM.

Last edited by n8z06; 11-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM
n8z06
6th Gear

Well the car will be back on the road tomorrow. The dealership got a new ECM and new battery in, and then I brought her to another audio shop. They did a tear down and checked the install and said it looked like an amateur did this. They said that the person obviously did not know how to work with the Bose system and had cut wires that they should not have, and it was a "hot mess" of wiring. He did not say if he found a cause for them shorting out or frying the ECM. But we will see.

Looks like I am going to see if I can get my money back for the first "install", since I had to have it re-installed. Hopefully, everything will be back to normal tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If anyone else is reading this who's thinking of having an aftermarket radio installed in a C5/C6.... There is NO reason whatsoever for anyone to CUT any oem wires during the install if they use the correct interface adapter for your car. Depending on your radio, a few oem wires may need to be TAPPED, but NONE should be CUT. If your installer insists otherwise RUN AWAY
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by markcz
If anyone else is reading this who's thinking of having an aftermarket radio installed in a C5/C6.... There is NO reason whatsoever for anyone to CUT any oem wires during the install if they use the correct interface adapter for your car. Depending on your radio, a few oem wires may need to be TAPPED, but NONE should be CUT. If your installer insists otherwise RUN AWAY
i agree
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM
n8z06
6th Gear

Thanks everyone for your input on my issue. And beware of bad installers, they can do a lot more damage than I thought.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I bet your noise issue goes away to Nathan.

That sucks to hear what they did
Good luck with the mess of dealing with the audio shop
Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Installed new HU, Amp and Sub and now car will not start

Quick Reply: Installed new HU, Amp and Sub and now car will not start