Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me choose a HU!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Mickman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Help me choose a HU!

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a double-din head unit for my daily driver.
Budget is about $500US before taxes,shipping, etc.

Needs:
-At least 5eq bands
-HPF/LPF
-6 preamp outs (front, rear, subwoofer)
-Auxillary input
-iPod hookup
-USB input
-Bluetooth

Wants:
-Navigation (I know it probably wont happen on my budget)
-Connectivity for my Samsung Galaxy S3 to be able to control through the deck.
-Steering wheel control output

I am a Kenwood fan, and I really like the KIV-BT900 I have in my C5z, but the kenwoods I've found in my price range don't have all the features I'm looking for (like only 3band EQ)

I was considering this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X450....html?tp=20217

What do you guys think? Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mick
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
jachin99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy from crutchfield, go to woofers etc or sonicelectronix. It might be last years model, but who care if its half the price
Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by jachin99
Don't buy from crutchfield, go to woofers etc or sonicelectronix. It might be last years model, but who care if its half the price
sonic and woofers are not even authorized dealers

Kenwood and Pioneer do not even sell to these idiots.
Kenwood cut Sonic off 5 years ago and Pioneer about 3

We shipped out 2 Pioneer 4500's to Mike today
Thanks Mike
Dennis
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 AM
drewauby5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis, whats the price on the Pioneer 4500???
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Mickman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Thanks Mike
Dennis
I would highly reccommend Dennis to anyone! He is a great guy to deal with and I've bought lots of stuff from him with no issues, these were the 3rd and 4th head units I've purchased from him

Can't wait to try them out!! I will update once I have them installed in both cars.

Thanks again Dennis!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
sonic and woofers are not even authorized dealers

Kenwood and Pioneer do not even sell to these idiots.
Kenwood cut Sonic off 5 years ago and Pioneer about 3

Thanks Mike
Dennis
They have Pioneer and Kenwood on their website
Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
They have Pioneer and Kenwood on their website
thats because dealers who are not supposed to back door them to sonic.

Call Kenwood and ask them if they sell to Sonic and see what you get for an answer

I know for a fact as Kenwood has told us and we have a radio purchased from Sonic that the serial number was given to Kenwood to track as to what dealer sold it to them. Some dealer is not going to be happy as they will be no longer a Kenwood dealer

Last edited by Double D Mods; 12-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
jachin99
Advanced

I bought my HU from woofers etc, and they sent me a better one because they were out of the one I ordered. If you have the money to be picky then do that, but if your tight on money go there.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by jachin99
I bought my HU from woofers etc, and they sent me a better one because they were out of the one I ordered. If you have the money to be picky then do that, but if your tight on money go there.
Would love to know what you ordered and what you got?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM
jachin99
Advanced

I got an eclipse avn 726E head unit, I ordered a lesser eclipse HU. I can't remember what it was, and I won't look it up to prove my point. Do you carry mtx
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I can get MTX if you must have it. We can do much better for the price than MTX

How long ago did you buy the Eclipse as they went belly up in 2009

In 2010 I bought the last of those radios for 300.00 to clear out the inventory. One of my customers who did a double din in his C5 worked for Eclipse and set me up with them
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Companies like Pioneer and Kenwood have a built in "buffer" when it comes to their equipment pricing. They have a MSRP of sorts... but their main concern is the "advertised" price. This allows their product line to maintain their perceived value, while protecting the profit margin of the smaller vendors.

Places like Wal-Mart, Sonic, WoofersETC, and others like to move a lot of product, with the thought that they can make more money (total) by selling at a discounted rate and undercutting the little guy. Because they can move so much product, some companies will offer discounts for large volume, helping their profit margin.

When I worked for Pioneer in Japan, I was able to buy product below what we sold it to the vendors for. I was blown away at just how much "wiggle room" there was on price. But for a small business to be able to make it, they need that kind of profit margin to be able to stay in business. If you had a full storefront, with rent, utilities, and employees... that profit gets eaten up rather quickly.

Now "price fixing" is against Federal law... but the difference is the actual sales price, not advertised price. The manufacturer knows that they can't legally "fix" the price, but they do have some control over who they allow to buy their products for resale, and at what cost. That's why some businesses lose their "right" to sell product, because they advertised it below what the manufacturer said was acceptable.

That's also why guys like Dennis stay in business: he knows what the rules are, he plays by them, and then offers up "extras" like install kits, wiring, and so on. He also says to call him for the best price: because it's then that he stops "advertising" and starts "negotiating" the sale. This allows him to sell it for less than the advertised price, PLUS throw in some install stuff, and still be able to cover his expenses, like being a forum vendor.

I personally don't know Dennis, and I've never purchased anything from him. But as a long time member of this forum, I can say that very few forum vendors have such a great reputation on here like he does. That means he's doing something right... and I'd rather support a forum vendor than Wal-Mart types any day.

Just my $1.05
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasthotrod
Just my $1.05
I knew inflation was bad, but YIKES
Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
I knew inflation was bad, but YIKES
<whisper> Plus tax, tile, license, doc fees, setup, advertising... </whisper>
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Companies like Pioneer and Kenwood have a built in "buffer" when it comes to their equipment pricing. They have a MSRP of sorts... but their main concern is the "advertised" price. This allows their product line to maintain their perceived value, while protecting the profit margin of the smaller vendors.

Places like Wal-Mart, Sonic, WoofersETC, and others like to move a lot of product, with the thought that they can make more money (total) by selling at a discounted rate and undercutting the little guy. Because they can move so much product, some companies will offer discounts for large volume, helping their profit margin.

When I worked for Pioneer in Japan, I was able to buy product below what we sold it to the vendors for. I was blown away at just how much "wiggle room" there was on price. But for a small business to be able to make it, they need that kind of profit margin to be able to stay in business. If you had a full storefront, with rent, utilities, and employees... that profit gets eaten up rather quickly.

Now "price fixing" is against Federal law... but the difference is the actual sales price, not advertised price. The manufacturer knows that they can't legally "fix" the price, but they do have some control over who they allow to buy their products for resale, and at what cost. That's why some businesses lose their "right" to sell product, because they advertised it below what the manufacturer said was acceptable.

That's also why guys like Dennis stay in business: he knows what the rules are, he plays by them, and then offers up "extras" like install kits, wiring, and so on. He also says to call him for the best price: because it's then that he stops "advertising" and starts "negotiating" the sale. This allows him to sell it for less than the advertised price, PLUS throw in some install stuff, and still be able to cover his expenses, like being a forum vendor.

I personally don't know Dennis, and I've never purchased anything from him. But as a long time member of this forum, I can say that very few forum vendors have such a great reputation on here like he does. That means he's doing something right... and I'd rather support a forum vendor than Wal-Mart types any day.

Just my $1.05
Thanks
Your 100% correct. We have rules we HAVE to follow for advertising. MAP price is HUGE if you want to be able to sell the products of say a company like Kenwood. Kenwood has an extremely difficult process to become online authorized and it took me a year to get this done. They will police our sight all the time to check for pricing under MAP. Anytime you see for example a Kenwood DNX 6990HD below the retail price of 999.99(unless there is an instant rebate which we also honer) these places are NOT Kenwood authorized and you will NOT get any kind of warranty with Kenwood. As mentioned its always best to call us direct. Not only for best deals but to make sure everything you need is all in one package too

Arc Audio, Hybrid Audio, JL Audio, Memphis Audio, Focal are all other companies who have MAP rules and additional rules we have to follow as well. For these companies we have to sell the products in a package and is why you see us building them into package deals. Our package deals are always your best option as for one if your doing this your going to need all the stuff anyways so we bundle complete install packages containing everything you will need for install.

Wal Mart has MAP price too But this item you see does not have a MAP and they are higher on it than most places
http://www.walmart.com/ip/PAC-SWI-Ja...rface/21550492
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Just my $1.05

Get notified of new replies

To Help me choose a HU!

Quick Reply: Help me choose a HU!