Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Battery drain, amp wiring and iPod PAL hookup

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Battery drain, amp wiring and iPod PAL hookup

I've got some sort of parasitic drain on a month-old Exide Battery. Also happened on previous battery.

Only mods are PAL iPod device and after-market amp, which, as you can see, is powered directly from the battery.

Question: Are the rest of you guys wiring after-market amps directly to the battery or is there another way?

A co-worker suggested that the amp may be the drain. Car starts fine each day, but after two or three days of sitting, it's completely dead.

Not sure exactly how the iPod PAL is connected because I can't see the connection and it was done before I got the car. I can't imagine an iPod draining a battery like that, plus when I restart the car, the same song is playing, so it's not like the iPod is playing after the car is shut-off. I could be wrong, however.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Amps are supposed to be on the battery

You can eliminate the amp as a suspect by pulling the wire at the amp or the in-line fuse at the battery before the next time you'll be letting it sit a few days, whichever is easier.

Someone else just had an issue like this. Best way I know to troubleshoot is to pull the B+ cable at the battery and put an amp meter in series with the cable. Normal all-off is in milliamps, if you have more than that start pulling fuses one at a time until current drops.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

pull fuse for amp right there at battery and wait a few days and see what happens
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
MRBLONDE13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this same issue. I just installed a Avic Nav. system, speakers et al but left the stock amp in the car. Noted the battery was dead, replaced and it died a few days later. Hooked an ammeter in between the neg bat cable and pulled fuses until I noted the AMP fuse #31 was the culprit. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? Current draw with fuses in place is 70 mA but w AMp fuse pulled, it goes down to 23 mA (acceptable levels for C6 Corvette. Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

C6 radio prints are HERE

The oem amp is triggered on by 12v on wire at B3 of main radio plug C1, make sure you didn't connect that wire to B+. It should be connected to the blue trigger wire coming out of the new HU.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 AM
MRBLONDE13
Advanced

Originally Posted by markcz
C6 radio prints are HERE

The oem amp is triggered on by 12v on wire at B3 of main radio plug C1, make sure you didn't connect that wire to B+. It should be connected to the blue trigger wire coming out of the new HU.
Thank you for that helpful info but now I have another problem and I was hoping you could help me?. I have the Avic Z140 BH and I have been using the Os-2 PAC with it for about 2 years now. Sounded great until one day, no sound, even though the display looks correct, mute not on, navigation works, etc.. My B3 is indeed mated to the blue antenna wire (as you asked about in the previous post) but My B3 wire on my C1 plug (Before it goes into the Os2 Pac) is not getting more than .1 volts at the plug and I now have no sound from the stock Delphi amp. I verified it at the amp first and it wasnt receiving the 12v trigger from the white wire to power the amp (Indeed, it was less than half a volt at the amp). I of course swapped fuse 31 again (just in case). By the way, because I was connected to my blue antenna wire, I never did track down the parasitic battery loss so I kept a battery tender on it (they seem to work for only about 6 months anyway) . Any suggestions to either problem? FYI, I sent my radio out to a competent guy who repairs these off Ebay and he said he couldn't find an issue with it. Thanks in advance

Last edited by MRBLONDE13; 12-02-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 AM
MRBLONDE13
Advanced

Originally Posted by MRBLONDE13
Thank you for that helpful info but now I have another problem and I was hoping you could help me?. I have the Avic Z140 BH and I have been using the Os-2 PAC with it for about 2 years now. Sounded great until one day, no sound, even though the display looks correct, mute not on, navigation works, etc.. My B3 is indeed mated to the blue antenna wire (as you asked about in the previous post) but My B3 wire on my C1 plug (Before it goes into the Os2 Pac) is not getting more than .1 volts at the plug and I now have no sound from the stock Delphi amp. I verified it at the amp first and it wasnt receiving the 12v trigger from the white wire to power the amp (Indeed, it was less than half a volt at the amp). I of course swapped fuse 31 again (just in case). By the way, because I was connected to my blue antenna wire, I never did track down the parasitic battery loss so I kept a battery tender on it (they seem to work for only about 6 months anyway) . Any suggestions to either problem? FYI, I sent my radio out to a competent guy who repairs these off Ebay and he said he couldn't find an issue with it. Thanks in advance
Update: I see that I am getting the 12 from my HU going into the Os2 Pac but the minimal voltage coming out. Guess I need a new Os2...
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MRBLONDE13
Guess I need a new Os2...
Not really. Just connect the HU trigger wire directly to B3

I'd snip the triger wires going in to and out of the OS2, then directly connect those two wires together. It's a free fix

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain, amp wiring and iPod PAL hookup

Quick Reply: Battery drain, amp wiring and iPod PAL hookup