Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

New head unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 PM
TexasVette64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New head unit

I'm doing research on replacing the head unit. I believe the stock is a 1.5 Din. What are some that you would recommend? How much work would it be to install a double-din radio? Is it actually worth the trouble? I have a C5.

Last edited by TexasVette64; 12-12-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasVette64
I'm doing research on replacing the head unit. I believe the stock is a 1.5 Din. What are some that you would recommend? How much work would it be to install a double-din radio? Is it actually worth the trouble? I have a C5.
Whether it's worth the trouble or not depends on how you intend to use it. In my opinion, no, it's not really worth the effort/money. I have a double din but I did it cause I wanted to see what the hype was about. And I felt the single din looked out of place in the C5. The double din looks nice in the car, and it does make it seem more fancy to other people. I don't have GPS on it, because my phone has GPS and internet. I don't watch videos in the car, and especially not while driving. So other than looking good, it doesn't really serve me any better than a good single din would. Not to mention the installation is a bit time consuming.

But if you want GPS or want to be able to watch a movie in the car, then it's probably not a bad idea. I would just recommend you get a Kenwood. I have Pioneer's best non-GPS unit and it frustrates me a lot. The touchscreen and overall user interface can be frustrating, especially if you're use to using a capacitive touchscreen like on a smartphone, IPad, etc.

Last edited by onspeed; 12-13-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM
TexasVette64
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response! I think I will go for a single din or 1.5 din than to save the trouble.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have all single din and double din options available for you

The new Pioneer 6500BT single din with harness dash kit and antenna adapter is 169.99
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by TexasVette64
Thanks for the response! I think I will go for a single din or 1.5 din than to save the trouble.
Good choice. A double din is really cool if you want it for show car duty but other than that it's main benefit is GPS and the playing if DVD's if so equipped.

I would spend my money on a quality single/1.5 DIN myself. FYI Alpine puts the same amps in all of their units so the high end only gets you extra buttons and features that won't enhance the sound quality. I don't know if other manufacturers do this or not.

My first choice is always eclipse but they're a tad bit pricier than an adequate Alpine. I used to be Pioneer exclusive but no longer. It seems their quality is less than what I would prefer. I just replaced my Pioneer unit in my PU that lasted 12 years with an identical twin Alpine I have in my vette. makes it easier to remember the buttons

I haven't listened to a Kenwood in years but from my experiences they used to be a great HU and I would buy one but I'm stuck on Alpine for now.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Unless you REALLY want Nav I'd go with a single din in an illuminated faceplate

Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Unless you REALLY want Nav I'd go with a single din in an illuminated faceplate

What he said:

Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

single din is easiest on the wallet and time. Personally I love navigation so I'm going with a double din unit, which gives me an opportunity to refine my ABS molding skills when I install a set of custom gauges in the dash as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

That's exactly what you need, more refined skills
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pics of these head units installed in a C6 with a similar faceplate setup? I like the look of the touchscreen stuff because it looks more factory to me, but I don't need nav or dvd, and all the double din/touchscreen units are too expensive for what they are imho

Get notified of new replies

To New head unit

Quick Reply: New head unit