Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back-up Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Back-up Camera

I'm going to hook up a back-up camera this weekend and was wondering is there any directions on this site for it.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Not sure which head unit you are using, but I will give you some general tips.

The video camera usually has three leads, Ground, +12V and Video out. Make sure you tie the ground to the same ground as the head unit, otherwise you may get lines running across the screen and the picture may be usuable. I usually use the reverse lights as the 12V source as it is easy to get to and I run it forward to the head unit to use as the head unit trigger too. Only negative is that if you are not in reverse, the camera will not work.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If you think you'll ever want to see reverse camera image while driving forward, then use radio trigger wire as +12v source (most likely red wire on interface adapter). Reverse light power is fine otherwise.

I also always use radio ground on camera (black wire on interface).

Connect HU 'reverse sensor' wire (prob purple) in footwell or run it back to reverse lights. Pic and instructions in post #2 HERE
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Thank you!!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Not sure which head unit you are using, but I will give you some general tips.

The video camera usually has three leads, Ground, +12V and Video out. Make sure you tie the ground to the same ground as the head unit, otherwise you may get lines running across the screen and the picture may be usuable. I usually use the reverse lights as the 12V source as it is easy to get to and I run it forward to the head unit to use as the head unit trigger too. Only negative is that if you are not in reverse, the camera will not work.
Excellent tips.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 AM
hiyosilver01
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz

If you think you'll ever want to see reverse camera image while driving forward, then use radio trigger wire as +12v source (most likely red wire on interface adapter). Reverse light power is fine otherwise.

Connect HU 'reverse sensor' wire (prob purple) in footwell or run it back to reverse lights. Pic and instructions in post #2 HERE
Not trying to hijack,
This means the camera will stay on even when it is not in reverse, and will the screen switch to the camera mode when the car is in reverse?

As for the reverse sensor wire, is it the same color and location for the c5?

Thank you
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

C5 is different, you must run sensor to rear lights.

Yes camera is 'on' if powered by normal switched power, but it won't display on HU unless you put car in reverse or push button to have it displayed (as long as you put reverse wire in proper place).
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markcz

I'm going with standard hook-up. So, make sure I get this right. Going to hook it up tomorrow. Out of the camera has about 3 ft of wire with red and blk inside it. And the video cable ( very long) which I know goes back to the HU. You say find a reverse light wire and tie the red into it. True? You say "you always use radio ground on camera" do you mean you add wire to the black ground wire and run it up to the same ground as the HU? Then run the purple wire (on the HU) back to the same reverse light wire that the red (pos) is hooked up to? I really appreciate your help. This site is awesome!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Nevermind. Just talked to Dennis and he straighten me out. He already pre wired the harness to accept the pos and neg on the camera. What a guy!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Back-up Camera

Quick Reply: Back-up Camera