Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Audio update for 1989 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Audio update for 1989 Corvette

Pictures to follow shortly. Have a big update to my audio system including some dash customization, custom sub box and an Alpine INE-Z928HD. More to follow!

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-z928hd/
Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't wait for the pictures!...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

I keep adding items to this update. Car should be complete by the end of February.

Head unit is the Alpine above.

Added the accessory backup camera.

Speakers and amp are all JL. Tweeters in the upper dash under the windshield, custom boxes in the doors, custom boxes in the rear, a sub box sits just past the rear storage and also holds the amplifier and cross overs.

JL Amplifier HD900/5

JL Subwoofer TW5

Crossovers

Dash is getting a lot of work put into it to make room for the Alpine and I've added a Passport 9500ci as well.

I'll also retain the USB ports and aux in port I previously added. Also adding an antenna toggle so that thing will only go up when I'm actually listening to the radio.

Last edited by 89 Vett; 02-05-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome!

I too, installed an Antenna switch to keep the antenna down when I'm listening to the iPod.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Added new carpet and new seats from Corvette America.
www.corvetteamerica.com

New emergency brake cover, steering wheel cover, shift boot, console cover from Redline.
www.redlinegoods.com

I'll keep some of the saddle interior but replacing a lot of it with black (black carpet for example). Adding double stripes in saddle to all the pieces from redline and two tone black and saddle seats from corvette america.

Audio shop is putting in sound deadener on floor, transmission tunnel, rear and doors. Should make a huge difference inside the car.

Trying to locate someone who can do leather on the door panels to match everything else. No luck there yet.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwheelerjr
Trying to locate someone who can do leather on the door panels to match everything else. No luck there yet.
I'm looking for the same thing, so far the BEST QUALITY that I've found is up in Canada, and BOY are they PRICEY!......But Good!

http://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/

I plan on doing my stering wheel, shift ****, I already have the shift boot and maybe my arm rest.

Added the accessory backup camera.

Speakers and amp are all JL. Tweeters in the upper dash under the windshield, custom boxes in the doors, custom boxes in the rear, a sub box sits just past the rear storage and also holds the amplifier and cross overs.

I'll also retain the USB ports and aux in port I previously added. Also adding an antenna toggle so that thing will only go up when I'm actually listening to the radio.

I have a few questions:
1. Where and HOW are you installing that backup cam?
2. What types of door speaker boxes are being made?
3. Is there a concern over weight issues on the door panels?
4. What additional USB Ports did you add..Who, Where, How, How many?
5. what's the plan for your antenna toggle location and switch/toggle type?

I LOVE Pictures!

Thanks a ton!

Noland
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

1. Where and HOW are you installing that backup cam?
Over the license plate. I'm getting a custom rear bumper made for my ZR-1 quarters. Once that's done I'll have a custom made spot for it.
2. What types of door speaker boxes are being made?
Stage I stripped out the Bose and replaced with alpine about 3 years ago. The audio shop is now removing the Bose frames and making custom ones to hold a larger speaker.
3. Is there a concern over weight issues on the door panels?
I hadn't thought of any weight issues. I don't expect any?
4. What additional USB Ports did you add..Who, Where, How, How many?
Stage I installed an older Alpine head unit and integrated a Garmin GPS into the dash (Garmin install). The alpine had a USB in for an Ipod and I added a second powered USB so people could charge their phone. After the linked Garmin install, I installed speakers and an amp specifically for the GPS so that I could hear the thing at (never more than) 65 mph on the interstate.
5. what's the plan for your antenna toggle location and switch/toggle type
My plan is a round toggle. On one side of my stereo in the pics above you'll see an aux in 35mm jack. I like symmetry, so I'm looking for a round toggle switch of the same size on the other side of the stereo.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackHarleyMan
I LOVE Pictures!
I'll have some pics up soon. The shop is doing all the work so I can't post until they provide.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

I'm looking for the same thing, so far the BEST QUALITY that I've found is up in Canada, and BOY are they PRICEY!......But Good!

http://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/
I looked at their site but I only see C5 and C6 stuff. Did you already contact them about C4?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at their site but I only see C5 and C6 stuff. Did you already contact them about C4?
I spoke to John today, I almost fell out of my seat when I got the prices, BUT I was standing up so.............

I'm thinking I'll have him do my steering wheel, Stock Shift ****, shifter boot, armrest pad and e-brake handle. Not sure when I'll have all of it done, but it will probably be next month. I'll keep you informed if you like.

NOW, the thing that I'll be VERY interested to see is how they will get the head unit that you've chosen to fit in that stock radio location. It indicates that it's an 8" screen. This is going to be an obstacle that I'd love to see the result on!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice project and love the head unit.
My system is getting dated, but still rocks.
FWIW, I put my antenna switch beside the ALDL port, out of site, out of mind.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

NOW, the thing that I'll be VERY interested to see is how they will get the head unit that you've chosen to fit in that stock radio location. It indicates that it's an 8" screen. This is going to be an obstacle that I'd love to see the result on!
The center panel is being reformed. It will look pretty much the same but the warning light panel and switch panel will be moved up about an inch and some change. This means there's no room for the vents at the top of the panel so I'll need to put in some vents that will be shorter.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Default Center Console

From an earlier project I had removed the center two vents to make room for an in dash GPS. I opened up the outer vents to increase airflow.

The hole to the right of the stereo hole was where an aux input jack was located.

For this project everything is removed from the environment controls up.

New plastic is molded and added. The previous aux jack filled in, switch panel and warning light display moved up.

Smoothing it out:

New brackets and shifted switches and warning display up.

Test fit:

You really have to be in the car to realize how big this stereo is. It's larger than double din and looks fantastic.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Default Sound Deadener

Some pics of the sound deadener going in.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

From an earlier project I had removed the center two vents to make room for an in dash GPS. I opened up the outer vents to increase airflow.

The hole to the right of the stereo hole was where an aux input jack was located.

For this project everything is removed from the environment controls up.

New plastic is molded and added. The previous aux jack filled in, switch panel and warning light display moved up.

Smoothing it out:

New brackets and shifted switches and warning display up.

Test fit:

You really have to be in the car to realize how big this stereo is. It's larger than double din and looks fantastic.
Very nice
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Default Running out of space!

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
FWIW, I put my antenna switch beside the ALDL port, out of site, out of mind.
Yeah, I may reconsider it... running out of room on the dash for everything that I've been adding.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Car has been delayed due to a part not being delivered on time. I had added the SmartCord to the Passport, but the piece is just now due to be delivered. This has caused delays with the dash since it's uncertain where we'll be able to find room for another control module.

This module connects to your phone and allows all users on the network to report road hazards and such to each other.

I'm getting the center panel painted the body color so once this is complete and custom vents are added at the top it will go over to the body shop for paint and clear coat on the center panel and shift panel.

Also, I'm replacing the hatch at the body shop. When I purchased the car back in 1990, the previous owner had tinted the hatch and the dealer had removed it. Unfortunately they also removed the defrost lines. The new hatch will replace them and THEN I'll get it all retinted.

The door panels still need to be upholstered in leather, but once complete the car will then go to the shop for some suspension work, short throw shifter, and a problem with the heater. THEN the car will finally come home (been gone since December).

Get notified of new replies

To Audio update for 1989 Corvette

Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Default SubBox

A couple pics of the sub/amp/crossover box coming together.
The front panels are formed aluminum grills. The interior of the box will be lit to highlight the stuff inside. The center will either be a JL or C4 emblem back lit as well. There will be a top on it once complete.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:10 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Default All lit up!

The rings are the crossovers visable through the aluminum grill.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Very Cool

Quick Reply: Audio update for 1989 Corvette