Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Corvette Speaker Upgrade Packages! New Choices!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Silnus
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Interested in either the Kicker or Memphis...can you PM me price to 37324 with military discount if applicable?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

These packages work with the stock Bose system and make it sound better? Right now my back speakers don't have much sound at all. Suggestions? Not wanting to change HU out.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by teebee
These packages work with the stock Bose system and make it sound better?
Yes... replacing the front 3.5" wideband speakers with a dedicated mid and tweeter will make it sound clearer, with better highs.

Right now my back speakers don't have much sound at all. Suggestions? Not wanting to change HU out.

Thanks!
The rear speakers are a summed mono signal, and are designed to be ambient fill that enforces the mid bass frequencies. They aren't like a "normal" rear stereo pair that have full range sound like you're used to in other systems. That's a function of the Bose amplifier in the passenger foot well, so to get away from that you'll need to go with a different amplifier and run new wiring to the rear speakers.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

So, will these speakers make the system sound better?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes. You'd have cleaner mids and you'll actually hear the high notes as they were intended. It will sound better, but volume will still be the same.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

How about some separates packages....
Old 08-31-2014, 01:19 AM
85VetteBoy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Vert

Hey there.. The speakers in my 98 Convertible are shot. I have the bose system. What's the best deal on a great set of replacement speakers for the stock head unit?

thx!

j
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 85VetteBoy
Hey there.. The speakers in my 98 Convertible are shot. I have the bose system. What's the best deal on a great set of replacement speakers for the stock head unit?

thx!

j
Use the fade/balance and tone adjustments to figure out if the subs in the doors still work. If not, there isn't an easy drop-in replacement, but there are plenty of ways to make it sound great.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:40 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just installed the Kicker speaker upgrade in my C5 Z06.

I also installed some Raamat sound proofing in the doors and cabin.

The speakers dropped right in. No drilling was necessary. The connection adapters made it almost too easy.

The improvement is noticeable. It's a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by A Marsh
I just installed the Kicker speaker upgrade in my C5 Z06.

I also installed some Raamat sound proofing in the doors and cabin.

The speakers dropped right in. No drilling was necessary. The connection adapters made it almost too easy.

The improvement is noticeable. It's a lot of bang for the buck.
Thanks for posting
Old 10-12-2014, 08:23 AM
shredhead1080
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C5 convertible questions

I have a 2000 convertible and wondering a couple of things...

I bought the head unit from Crutchfield along with the metra kit and the harness / interface for Bose since I didn't mess with the speakers yet. I like working with Crutchfield and I'm now considering phase 2 of the upgrade, the speakers.

The Crutchfield tech is telling me there are no 3.5 inch speakers that fit correctly in the doors for a C5 convertible. He said there is .275" clearance from the mounting bracket to the factory grille and that the JL Audio C2-350x is .562" tall. Why is DD Mods saying these fit and Crutchfield saying they don't?

I really want to go with the factory speaker sizes if I can. What options do I have for the front doors? My desire is to keep things simple and not spend a lot of money.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Jason Soled
I have a 2000 convertible and wondering a couple of things...

I bought the head unit from Crutchfield along with the metra kit and the harness / interface for Bose since I didn't mess with the speakers yet. I like working with Crutchfield and I'm now considering phase 2 of the upgrade, the speakers.

The Crutchfield tech is telling me there are no 3.5 inch speakers that fit correctly in the doors for a C5 convertible. He said there is .275" clearance from the mounting bracket to the factory grille and that the JL Audio C2-350x is .562" tall. Why is DD Mods saying these fit and Crutchfield saying they don't?

I really want to go with the factory speaker sizes if I can. What options do I have for the front doors? My desire is to keep things simple and not spend a lot of money.

Simple
Crutchfield does not know what they are talking about... This is what happens when you have someone on the phone who does not even know anything about the car let alone what will and will not work.

any of what we have will work and is why we have them listed to do so.

I have sold hundreds of these packages and assure you it will be fine.

as always your welcome to call me as well for more help
608 854 2033
Dennis

Ask them about putting in a double din and they will tell you its not possible as well...

Old 10-12-2014, 10:08 AM
shredhead1080
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crutchfield does not know what they are talking about... This is what happens when you have someone on the phone who does not even know anything about the car let alone what will and will not work.
Please offer help without being unprofessional.

They said they take the vehicles apart and take three place decimal measurements with calipers. This was their technical support, not a sales rep.

I'm not debating who is right or wrong here, nor am I a super fan of their company in particular. I just want to know why I'm getting two different answers. I have done this search with other companies who sell car stereo gear and every one of them comes out the way Crutchfield's site does - the search comes up empty. They say nothing fits the front speaker openings for the C5 convertible.

I know the speakers have the holes in the same places, so it's got to be the depth of the speaker. The manufacturers probably have guidelines on how much room you need behind the magnet, that it shouldn't touch anything else, etc.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:36 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

DD works on ACTUAL CARS every day, Crutchfield and all of the sites you're looking at use a computerized database. The database is WRONG

If you don't believe the individual who's probably sold & installed more speakers in corvettes than any other person on the planet, then I'll tell you the same thing...

ANY standard sized 3.5" 4-ohm 2-way aftermarket speaker WILL WORK as a drop in replacement in C5. Just be aware that it won't get any louder, it just gives you more and crisper highs.

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette Speaker Upgrade Packages! New Choices!