Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New JVC NAV Install - Non Bose / Non Onstar - Audio Issues with Hiss / Volume

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 AM
TommyDee291
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JVC NAV Install - Non Bose / Non Onstar - Audio Issues with Hiss / Volume

Hello all - I am hoping that someone here is able to provide some insight into an issue I am having with my new aftermarket NAV install.

First the details:

2007 C6 Corvette (Non-Bose / Non On Star)
Stock Speakers
PAC C2R-GM24
JVC KWNT510HDT 6.1-Inch DVD-CD-USB-SD HD Radio Navigation

I received all the parts the other day and dove into this install a few days ago. I took the PAC harness and wired it into the HU harness using crimp style connections. When I got to the speaker wires I was stopped for a moment. The instructions for the PAC say to cut off the RCA type connectors if using a non-bose system. So I cut off the connectors and wired the speaker connections into the HU harness.

I got everything plugged in, powered on and started hearing music (good right?). One immediate thing I noticed was a noticeable amount of 'white noise' or hissing even with the volume all the way down. All my connections checked out so I proceeded to tweak the EQ and other settings on the new HU.

Bass response is about the same as the stock but the mids and highs are noticeably better. It was at this point I decided to stumble upon this forum (which I've been reading for some time). I came across a number of posts in which I have seen several references to not cutting off the RCA connectors.

So after reading about the connectors, I soldered them back to PAC harness and connected them up to my HU's RCA connectors. Immediately noticed that the majority of the 'hiss' was gone however I noticed that I had an issue with volume. My HU goes from 0-40 in volume and anything from 20-40 did not make a difference. Before while directly connected, a setting of 10 was at my personal limit of loudness.

So basically I'm in need of some opinions or suggestions on what could be the issue and what to try next. Bear in mind that nothing else wiring wise has changed except I went from a direct connection to the RCA. With the direct connection I get 'normal' sound but with background hiss. The RCA connection eliminates most of the hiss but I have hardly any volume.

My first thought is to cut off the RCA's again and go back to a direct connection and buy some filters and/or GLI's to sit in between the PAC and HU.

Thanks for your time!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Technically you want RCAs in there. I have never ran into the issue you are having where it doesn't get any louder
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Re the 'directions', in MOST cars 'Bose' is another way of saying 'external amp', and non-Bose would mean NO external amp. C6 non-Bose does have an external amp, so you need to follow the Bose instructions and use the line-level RCA's as a supply to the C2R.

The noise you hear with speaker-level source is due to putting way too much voltage into the oem amp.

If the volume is unacceptable as-is, I'd probably try something like this line driver between the HU and C2R. Another option would be to use the HU speaker outputs into an output converter that supplies the RCA inputs of the C2R.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
TommyDee291
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the replies.

Spent some time tonight looking into this again and I resolved it. Strangely enough it was the HU. I did a factory reset and noticed the volume issue was fixed. Before a setting of '20' was comfortably loud and anything from 20-40 wouldn't change in volume. Now '20' is loud and anything above it is very loud (in fact my ears are ringing from testing).

What I noticed was that if I enabled a setting on the HU called 'Space Enhancer' it causes this volume issue. I also noticed that if I run any kind of bass boost setting from the HU, it also reduces the volume (must be a bug in firmware).

Anyway the major issue is now fixed however I noticed a slight whine with the engine on which I will fix with some GLI's. The only other issue I have is that the dimmer function does not work. From reading other threads I know that the Orange and Orange White combo from the convertor is useless. Can someone confirm that I need to tap into the black/gray wire for the TC button?

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Tc or hazard button you got the right idea. I always use Gli adapters in the Vette and no issues
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The dimmer wire is at the TC/AH button, but it's the gray wire with black stripe.

And add another vote for GLI's

Get notified of new replies

To New JVC NAV Install - Non Bose / Non Onstar - Audio Issues with Hiss / Volume

Quick Reply: New JVC NAV Install - Non Bose / Non Onstar - Audio Issues with Hiss / Volume